Author Topic: Cobra MkIV Prices  (Read 36393 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 17:36:45 »
I went to a Ford event a couple of years back with a fiberglass continuation Shelby 427 in attendance. This guy had a trailer like he was a team racer and rolled the car in and out but never started the car. He and his buddy were dress in full Shelby regalia like there were the old man himself. It was quite a show. The sad think is that the car is really worth about the same as a gold plated commemorative coin. There is simply nothinbg there.

When the 50th Anniversory Shelby Cobra was first offered, I called Shelby American to find out the details. I was told the all of the cars had been bought and that all the cars were built "in house" fiberglass & aluminum. I knew better just wanted to hear the tale. I continued by telling the gentleman about my AC MKIV and ask if he knew about the car. He told me Shelby bought AC a long time ago. This is at Shelby headquarters!

Do you know there is a Shelby Dodge Registry. While AutoKraft was building my 86 AC, Shelby was adding his name to a Dodge compact. I guess I better run out quick and buy myself a Shelby Lancer before they start to build replicas.

Thanks all for your kindness and understanding [:I]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 19:57:57 »
I find this an interesting thread for many reasons. Harkens right back to some discussions in the past on this forum. It will be the eternal issue in the car hobby. And with it comes the unfortunate and unnecessary snooty attitudes. I think the true aficionados enjoy their and any other car that their owners enjoy having and tinkering with, regardless of heritage or pedigree. I think many people derive some kind of sense of propped up self from their prized possession, which inevitably leads to claims of superiority or inferiority...depending of which side you're on. But take Jay Leno as an example of an enthusiast: arguably could own whatever he wants, but drives a replica 427 Cobra... Among the many "original" cars he has. The discussion is tiresome...
   BTW, I have one of those leaf sprung 289 FIA Kirkhams... It's a great, no, fantastic car... My good friend Ron owns CSX 3106..., he must be a better man!

Gus

Chafford

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 21:12:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

BTW, I have one of those leaf sprung 289 FIA Kirkhams... It's a great, no, fantastic car... My good friend Ron owns CSX 3106..., he must be a better man!

Gus

Well, possibly a richer one!![:)][:)]The FIA is a lovely car, as is your AC Ace

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 23:22:14 »
Actually, Ron is a very regular guy. Incredible mechanic and fabricator. He's had this car for a very long time. Raced it for many years and will be at Monterey with it this summer for the 50 year anniversary races.

And thanks for the compliments!

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 23:43:18 »
And I meant coil sprung Kirkhams. I know, what a travesty, but really all the proper looks with better suspension...

Gus

nikbj68

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 00:03:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes:
And I meant coil sprung Kirkhams. I know, what a travesty, but really all the proper looks with better suspension... Gus

Travesty? Not at all, in fact that makes it very similar to the period AC289`s, which had the coilsprings and SB engine, which according to them what knows these things, was the best driving variant of all the period Cobras!!![8D]

Chafford

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 09:06:31 »
The Cobra MkIV Registrar will build you a Kirkham or even revive your Cobra Mk IV if you ask him nicely and lace his palm with silver.

http://www.dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/Talking%20Shop.pdf

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 13:25:27 »
That is interesting. For anyone that understands the Dutch language: the license plate on the 427 is a most interesting one[:D][:I]

Gus

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 15:33:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

That is interesting. For anyone that understands the Dutch language: the license plate on the 427 is a most interesting one[:D][:I]

Gus

Gus, I am shocked (after google ...) [:I]

Chafford

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2012, 16:26:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by dart427

There are many Cobras offered by dealer for many months. Where are the customers??
   It is a big difference between the asking price and the real value! It seems that high asking prices are driven by dealers ignoring the real value.

Dart 427

The 1994 Motor Show car at Redline has been reduced from £98,000 to £83,995 - so perhaps the dealers are being too optimistic.

http://www.redlinepe.co.uk/ac-cobra-mkiv-silver

1984MkIV

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 10:38:02 »
Indeed - the asking price and the sales prices are two different things. The last AC Cobra sold in germany was a Lightweight in excellent condition with uprated engine - it was sold for 100 k€ last year. The owner sold it because he was tired of being asked: "Is it an original?".

Chafford

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by 1984MkIV

Indeed - the asking price and the sales prices are two different things. The last AC Cobra sold in germany was a Lightweight in excellent condition with uprated engine - it was sold for 100 k€ last year. The owner sold it because he was tired of being asked: "Is it an original?".

Surely the answer to that question would be 'Yes' [;)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 13:39:40 »
They will ask that from about any Cobra-esque car. The public is smart enough to recognize the shape of the car, but that's where it ends... Maybe another great reason for the "preservation class" the rattier they look, the more likely it must be real?

Gus

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 16:02:05 »
have a look at lot n° 30 in this upcoming auction (by a serious auction house in Switzerland):
   - this lousy looking Cobra-esque car is estimated at 50-54 K€ !!  ==> In comparison, prices for MKIVs should then start at 150 K€!!

"A horse is worth as a much as a fool is willing to pay for it. And every day another fool is rising out of bed somewhere."
   However, there is no relationship between one and the other fool's choice :-(

CRS9505

• View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 16:11:46 »
The first time I took out my CRS an admirer at a local filling station walked round the car and said "That's a beautiful job you've done there mate, how long did she take you ?" After a few moments his meaning sank in to my brain and I replied "No its a real one, a real AC , look at the whel nuts, one of the last" to which the reply was "Pull the other one mate no one drives real AC Cobras on the road".
   I guess the main benefit of the general public confusion is that car thieves are unlikely to run off with a "kit car".[:o)]