Author Topic: Cobra MkIV Prices  (Read 25654 times)

302EFI

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 13:23:37 »
The disparity of the prices for MkIVs on the one hand and the Cobras newly built by Shelby, Kirkham, etc on the other hand is even more astonishing taking into account that the Shelby cars named by Constant in his earlier post have bodies made of plastic, not aluminium.
   I believe that by and large the buyers of MkIVs and the buyers of new Shelbys etc belong to two different groups (with certain overlaps, of course). The MkIV buyers are basically vintage car aficionados who do care about originality and who would also consider buying a classic Jaguar, Lancia, or Porsche, while the Shelby continuation car community is more focused on cars that are 'powerful and sexy' without having too much regard to history. In line with this I would guess that the MkIV prices will follow the general trend of classic car prices which will not necessarily be true for the Shelbys and the Kirkhams, let alone the kit cars. As is well-known the prices of classic cars have been going up for years and are largely expected to go up further for reasons discussed above. In Germany we have a 'vintage car price index' which was established in 1988, it comprises 88 models of 7 countries. Since the year 2000 this index has risen, on average, at a an annual rate of 6%, it did not collapse during the financial crisis in 2008/2009. So I am confident that the MkIV owners will not lose money on their cars in the years to come, although prices may not continue the 'meteoric rise' pointed out by Mark in the post starting this thread.
   Jürgen

Chafford

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 13:26:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux
   
some cars currently offered for sale in Germany :
   - Shelby Cobra CSX4943 427 S/C:  138 K€ (115 K£)
   - AC Cobra MkIV 460 & Tremec: 109 K€ (90.8 K£)
   - AC Cobra MkIV 302 upgraded: 119.5 K€ (99.6 K£)
   & France
   - Shelby Cobra CSX4988 427 S/C:  139 K€ (115.8 K£)
   - Shelby Cobra CSX6026 427 S/C:  144.9 K€ (120.75 K£)
   - Shelby Cobra CSX7036 289 FIA:  109 k€ (90.8 k£)
   - Shelby Cobra CSX7... 289 FIA:  119.5 k€ (99.6 K£)
   All prices inclusive of local VAT (19% in Germany, 21 % in France).
   
   With prices for Kirkham and Superformance Cobras in excess of 100 K€, MkIV Cobras are comparably underpriced.
   
   Point is also that a lot of buyers go for the more powerful and sexyer replicas, often ignoring about the existence and pedigree of ACs. And sellers of replicas permanently advertise their cars for what they are not! Just seen an ad of a 289 FIA Kirkham with coil spring suspension!
   

   
   Shelby American appears to have a higher profile in Europe than it does in the UK. I haven't seen any of Shelby's current continuation Cobra cars on sale in the UK and am not aware of any UK dealers.
   
   http://www.shelby-france.fr/
   
   http://achat-occasion.automobile.fr/annonces/details.html?id=158886731
   
   £120k for a glassfibre Shelby is laughable though.
   
   Back to MkIVs, I rather like this '87 car:
   
   
   
   
   
   

marklotus

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 23
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 20:58:23 »
The red painted wheels and riveted hood are not to my taste.

AK1131

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 225
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:59 »
It's pretty sad over here. Everyone thinks my MKIV is a kit car. When I go to a show with a Shelby continuation I usually park in a different area and not speak to them. They are too busy telling everyone about there "real Shelby Cobra". I was overlooked at the Hilton Head concours event a few years agos. The theme was British cars. The judge picked two BMW Minis with Union Jacks on the roof for the 10 car parade even though I had a placard stating "number 131
   out of 386 built in England" staring at him. Pitiful, I am still pissed. The only recognition I get is from the few CSX owners and fellow MKIV owners I have met. Half of me is English, I promise.[:(]
   
   PS: Still working the Eight Stack fuel injection install. It's beautiful. Should haul butt.[8D]

TLegate

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 748
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:41:59 »
We all love you AK1131 - you'll always have a welcome here :)

nikbj68

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2161
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate
   
We all love you AK1131 - you'll always have a welcome here :)
   

   Yeah, ditto that! Their loss. Can`t believe that they have such little understanding of what 'British' is! [B)]

Chafford

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 13:29:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131
   
It's pretty sad over here. Everyone thinks my MKIV is a kit car. When I go to a show with a Shelby continuation I usually park in a different area and not speak to them. They are too busy telling everyone about there "real Shelby Cobra". I was overlooked at the Hilton Head concours event a few years agos. The theme was British cars. The judge picked two BMW Minis with Union Jacks on the roof for the 10 car parade even though I had a placard stating "number 131
   out of 386 built in England" staring at him. Pitiful, I am still pissed. The only recognition I get is from the few CSX owners and fellow MKIV owners I have met. Half of me is English, I promise.[:(]
   
   PS: Still working the Eight Stack fuel injection install. It's beautiful. Should haul butt.[8D]
   

   
   I wonder if this lack of recognition in the States is also due to the fact Ford allowed Autokraft/AC to use the 'Cobra' name outside the USA. The car here is very much the 'AC Cobra Mk IV' rather than the 'Autokraft AC Mk IV'

ANF289

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 14:23:32 »
quote:
I wonder if this lack of recognition in the States is also due to the fact Ford allowed Autokraft/AC to use the 'Cobra' name outside the USA. The car here is very much the 'AC Cobra Mk IV' rather than the 'Autokraft AC Mk IV'
   
Don’t ya just love labels!  How about the GM Chevy Corvette or the Fiat Ferrari 458, and let’s not forget the Superformance Shelby Cobra!

TLegate

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 748
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 14:45:35 »
At least the MkIV 'Cobra' owners can console themselves that nobody is claiming their cars are anything other than what they are. Imagine what it's like to own a real, genuine AC (Shelby) Cobra with traceable history and find that there are 'people' who claim it's anything but. Now that has got to be annoying.

302EFI

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 16:29:53 »
Isn't it the 'Shelby' name rather than the 'Cobra' name that makes a difference to many Americans? Please correct me but my understanding of this issue is that the MkIVs are also considered 'Cobras' in the US but they are not generally considered 'true' Cobras there because of the lacking connection to Shelby. This lack of connection in turn is essential as Shelby's part in creating the 'Cobra' in the 1960ies and making it an icon is overrated, not least as a result of the marketing skills of Carroll Shelby himself.
   Jürgen

ANF289

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 17:46:29 »
quote:
Imagine what it's like to own a real, genuine AC (Shelby) Cobra ...
Funny, I was under the impression that Mk IVs were real, genuine AC Cobras, just the delayed 4th generation with a really confused lineage.  I can’t help wonder what Ford was thinking when they excluded the Cobra name from the US market, but allowed the cars to be sold in Ford dealerships with the Cobra logo displayed in each door sill and the Cobra name embossed in silver on the blue faux suede cover of the Mk IV owner’s Manual.  Can a Cobra be “real” (or is a better word legitimate?) without a Shelby association AND an AC association?  …a rhetorical question if there ever was one.  However, the implication for all those continuation cars boggles the mind!

Chafford

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 605
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 20:14:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by ANF289
   
quote:
Imagine what it's like to own a real, genuine AC (Shelby) Cobra ...
Funny, I was under the impression that Mk IVs were real, genuine AC Cobras, just the delayed 4th generation with a really confused lineage.  I can’t help wonder what Ford was thinking when they excluded the Cobra name from the US market, but allowed the cars to be sold in Ford dealerships with the Cobra logo displayed in each door sill and the Cobra name embossed in silver on the blue faux suede cover of the Mk IV owner’s Manual.  Can a Cobra be “real” (or is a better word legitimate?) without a Shelby association AND an AC association? …a rhetorical question if there ever was one.  However, the implication for all those continuation cars boggles the mind!
   

   
   But I'll answer anyway. The AC Cobra sold outside the US and the AC 289 Sports.

ANF289

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 20:43:44 »
quote:
Can a Cobra be “real” (or is a better word legitimate?) without a Shelby association AND an AC association? …a rhetorical question if there ever was one.  However, the implication for all those continuation cars boggles the mind!
   
quote:
But I'll answer anyway. The AC Cobra sold outside the US and the AC 289 Sports.

   ...and a great answer at that!

Gus Meyjes

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 729
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 01:02:45 »
my mind is spinning..
   
   Gus

ak1234

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 213
    • View Profile
Cobra MkIV Prices
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:30 »
AK1131 ...I here you ... but that is the primary reason I sold my Shelby... a real snooty bunch.  My Insurance Co wanted to register the car as a replica ... I had to send them to this site and give them the title.
   
   One thing this car has that the originals, replicas and continuation Cars ... is the fine Coach Work with regards to detail and thought process that went into these cars.
   
   So that's good to know .. the car in England is an AC COBRA MKIV ... we will just stick with that to piss of the other Cobra Owners next time I;m at a show.
   
   Ron