Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this 289 Cobra?  (Read 5559 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Does anyone recognize this 289 Cobra?
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:18:56 »
Can anyone identify the chassis number of this 1964 289 Cobra?  Is it an original, or is it a replica (Hawk, ERA, other)?

These photos were taken Oct 2011 during the "10000 tours du Castellet" at the Circuit Paul Ricard in France.  The car was driven in this event by Michel Lecourt and Raymond Narac, but neither is listed in the SAAC registry as the car's owner.

The registration EBY 518B appears to be valid and corresponds to a 1964 4.7-litre AC, according to the DVLA website.

The car seems to be running a Ford Racing 351W crate motor.  The prop rod for the hood (bonnet) doesn't look original to me, but maybe I'm wrong abut that.

I posted the same question over at the SAAC forum, but haven't got any answers over there yet.

Thanks for looking.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:52:04 »
Unless I've missed it, the Registration number doesn't appear in the Cobra Register. I've posted this on the 289 Register website:

http://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1333

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 16:12:11 »
The bonnet prop looks like a MKIV type and so do the little rubber cushions that sit around the bonnet frame edge.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:52:56 »
in the lower right corner of the engine bay photo, I guess one can see the contours of the transverse leaf spring on which the expansion tank sits .. ?? or do I need better glasses?

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 20:59:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by SunDude

Can anyone identify the chassis number of this 1964 289 Cobra?  Is it an original, or is it a replica (Hawk, ERA, other)?

These photos were taken Oct 2011 during the "10000 tours du Castellet" at the Circuit Paul Ricard in France.  The car was driven in this event by Michel Lecourt and Raymond Narac, but neither is listed in the SAAC registry as the car's owner.

The registration EBY 518B appears to be valid and corresponds to a 1964 4.7-litre AC, according to the DVLA website.

The car seems to be running a Ford Racing 351W crate motor.  The prop rod for the hood (bonnet) doesn't look original to me, but maybe I'm wrong abut that.

I posted the same question over at the SAAC forum, but haven't got any answers over there yet.

Thanks for looking.

Brian, this is the car we were talking about on Flickr

bobbylangley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 17:49:56 »
Not entirely sure but this looks like a car that turned up at the National day at Donnington with an Ace and they were both silver and both had the same number plate! They lined up with the cars and when questioned about them beat a hasty retreat... anyone else recollect this?

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 23:23:51 »
I keep getting the impression that it never saw the inside of the Thames Ditton factory! And it ain't the only one, is it? If cars could talk.....

SBB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 13:26:16 »
The DVLA websight shows this car when AC(electric) is selected and the registration number is put in, as a 1963 car.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 20:45:11 »
Ah, the old "AC Electric" shuffle. Course it is - obvious.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 20:23:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I keep getting the impression that it never saw the inside of the Thames Ditton factory! And it ain't the only one, is it? If cars could talk.....

Trevor, are you suggesting AC built this car outside the factory ?[;)][;)][;)]