Author Topic: 289 Cobra Replica  (Read 5572 times)

jon

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:56:47 »
I know that a lot of AC owners have strong, usually negative views about replicas, but I think there is a place for them. Personally, I am quite happy to have a replica of something I can’t hope to own because it’s either too expensive, too rare, or both.
   Take this little beauty.  Advertised on Ebay at a fraction of the cost of the real thing, I just couldn’t resist it. Assembled in China and imported via the USA, it’s the closest thing to a real 1965 Cobra that I’m ever likely to be able to afford. HM Revenue and Customs’ online facility made paying the import duty a simple affair, and registration and insurance were not a problem.  All in, about 15k. I’d have preferred it to be right-hand drive, but it shouldn’t be too hard to convert if needs be.

Chafford

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:09:41 »
Jon

You'll get into trouble for posting this in the Thames Ditton Cobra forum! [;)]

However, congratulations on your purchase. It certainly looks good and hopefully the Chinese components will be durable. Who imports the car to the US and what engine does it have?

With ACs being produced in Malta, Germany and now South Africa, who knows, China may be the next manufacturing base!

Mark IV

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 13:57:01 »
So you are very small then? 1/12 or 1/16th?

SunDude

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 13:57:27 »
Nice car, Jon.  What scale is it?

SB7019

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 14:09:01 »
Very clever photography!  I presume the 15K is denominated in pence as that is about what $259.50 dollars converts to?

jon

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 14:10:05 »
1/12th by GMP, price is indeed in pence stirling.

Chafford

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 18:32:50 »
Brilliant April Fool!  [:D][:D]

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 15:23:13 »
Love It! First look at first photo was a real double take moment coupled with a 'OH My God lets shut up shop now!' Then I put my glasses on and the relief was palpable !

aaron

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 21:04:44 »
Ive got one of these GMP cars in British Racing Green !

terry3000me

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 23:24:36 »
Well done Jon, great photography, good April Fool,
   Terry

jon

• View Profile
289 Cobra Replica
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 13:15:20 »
I’m pleased that the snaps of my toys provided a little amusement, and I hope no-one was too upset by my using the 'r' word.

All of the pictures above are straight from the camera with no digital manipulation whatsoever.

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words, but you have to remember these days that with the tools available it’s easy to tell a lot of lies with those thousand words. For example, the pictures below, which only took a short time to create, show the same replica back in the sixties with a period plate and right hand drive, in the company of a period Austin Mini. With a bit more work to correct things like the cheap and cheerful number plate, reversed AC logo on the steering wheel and other model deficiencies, it would be possible to create some really convincing period photos.

But then again, a photograph never lies, and if it’s on the internet it must be true.   [;)]