Author Topic: Steering boss interchange on an Ace  (Read 2770 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Steering boss interchange on an Ace
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:19:30 »
In looking at the different steering wheel centers that came with Ace's and Cobras, I think I like the AC emblem versions and would like to put that on my car and remove the center section that has the turn signal as a part if it.(My turn signal switch/center cap is very beat up and non-usuable) In order to make this change, I will need to relocate the turn signals. I can either use a switch on the dash, and keep the same steering wheel boss; or use a later version Cobra turn signal but I think that would require a different steering wheel boss. I have 2 questions;
   1. If I use the existing boss, is there an easy way to attach the AC center cap? It looks like there is a gaping hole if I remove the center section, with no visible place to attach the center cap to.
   2. If I go the the Cobra turn signal version, will the Cobra version boss attach to my existing steering column without modification?
   Thanks,
   Jay

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 17:17:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

In looking at the different steering wheel centers that came with Ace's and Cobras, I think I like the AC emblem versions and would like to put that on my car and remove the center section that has the turn signal as a part if it.(My turn signal switch/center cap is very beat up and non-usuable) In order to make this change, I will need to relocate the turn signals. I can either use a switch on the dash, and keep the same steering wheel boss; or use a later version Cobra turn signal but I think that would require a different steering wheel boss. I have 2 questions;
   1. If I use the existing boss, is there an easy way to attach the AC center cap? It looks like there is a gaping hole if I remove the center section, with no visible place to attach the center cap to.
   2. If I go the the Cobra turn signal version, will the Cobra version boss attach to my existing steering column without modification?
   Thanks,
   Jay

Jay
   The whole system is different, the MKII and MKIII Cobra have a different steering column altogether, It is actually a 60's VW beetle steering column, thats easy to find. However, to install it, you will need to replace the steering box with the rack and pinion unit which is actually a modified MGB piece. This is major surgery and it has to be done by a Pro. The steering box mounts have to be cut off of the frame (along with the chassis serial number on Cobras) and new mounts have to be welded for the rack! this has to be done right. Of course, your car will drive so much better but it has to be done by a pro. The other solution is to put a switch on the dash, cheap and easy.

Emmanuel

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:40:46 »
Emmanuel,
   Well it sounds like using the cobra set up is out of the question, so its how to attach the AC center cap to the existing hub. After looking at it today, it looks like I could probably weld a couple of circular plates together and use the existing screws to hold one in place, and then epoxy the emblem to the other side. Shouldn't  be too bad, just another thing to do before sending it off for paint.
   Thanks for the info.
   Jay

Roy Davies

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 15:52:46 »
If anyone has an old moto-lita wooden steering wheel for an ace (preferably with the boss) then please let me know. Thanks. Roy

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 14:44:45 »
Roy - I assume you know that you can still buy one from Moto-lita? Tim