Author Topic: 'tool time' story: how I recreate my MK 4  (Read 103000 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
'tool time' story: how I recreate my MK 4
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 16:00:59 »
To my eye, the proportions of 15" rims & Fat Rubber is perfection!

DKP Cobra, did your Cobra suffer some damage or is there another reason for your stripdown?

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 16:22:10 »
Hello DKP Cobra,
   Where are you located in neighbouring Germany?
   Regards
   Constant

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 17:42:53 »
It's a quite early MK 4, AK1029 with 15" rims. It has a short nose but it is no light-weight. It was delivered to germany without engine. The first engine was a 351 Cleaveland (I think). The previous owner replaced it in 2000/2001 by a 351 FoMoCo with GT40 heads. Quite nice:

The car had no accident or something like this. The previous owner drove a lot with the car and it was in a very good technical (except electricity) condition. It has Koni adjustable shock absorber (is this normal?) which allows a fantastic ride.

Nevertheless I wasn't happy with the look. The paint has a lot of spiders (is this the correct word?) and the interior was repainted (also the leather) from red to black. So there a three major works:

1) new paint
   2) new electricity
   3) new interior (including dashboard)

Here is a picture from behind the dashboard. I guess you know what I mean:

Since the body has to be painted it is a good time for some modifications of the body. I would like to close the side rear lamps and the side front turn lights. The tank cap holder doesn't exist. The cap was hold by the hose to the tank:

The harnesses are quite ugly. I never saw this kind of mounting in another MK IV:

And there are a lot of small thing I would like to do. For example the first owner replaced the hood handle by some kind of quick mechanism. Now, I try to restore the original hood handle. So going from this:

to this here:

]

@Constant

I'm living in the north of germany, near to Bremen.

Regards, Peter
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 18:44:52 by dkp_cobra »

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 17:54:38 »
Watch out, it looks like asbestos around the trans tunnel!

Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 20:53:32 »

Enclosed, with luck, is the 'Hawk' MkIV with a MkIII-type body, a sort of Mk3.5, or the best bits from an ex-MkIV with the looks and original-style interior of a MkIII, plus more space in the cockpit for the taller gent.

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 21:14:31 »
Trevor...that is pretty.
   germany..I don't believe that material on top of trans tunnel is asbestos...looks like the same type of under rg material that is under all MKIV carpets. you could have it checked..but just wear amask as even if is not , it willgive off a dust thatr irrates lungs.

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 21:26:33 »
Trevor

Looks like a very nice car.  Would be very interesting to see the finished vehicle alongside a Mk1V to see the differences.  Do you know if the body is a Kirkham or did Gerry create one especially to fit?

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 21:48:35 »
Hi Peter,

I'll stop by next time I'll be in your neighbourhood.

Question to Trevor: what differences are there between a MkIV LW body and the MkIII body?

regards
   Constant

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 22:04:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux

Hi Peter,

I'll stop by next time I'll be in your neighbourhood.

Question to Trevor: what differences are there between a MkIV LW body and the MkIII body?

regards
   Constant

About $15,000!!!

Rick

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 22:11:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

Enclosed, with luck, is the 'Hawk' MkIV with a MkIII-type body, a sort of Mk3.5, or the best bits from an ex-MkIV with the looks and original-style interior of a MkIII, plus more space in the cockpit for the taller gent.

Beautiful car. However I hope Hawk limit this type of exercise to repairing damaged cars, rather than converting perfectly sound MKIVs.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 11:10:50 »
Naturally that is the intention. I doubt it would be cost effective to 'convert' a perfectly good MkIV and nobody is suggesting they should. But this was a decidedly ex-MkIV that might well have been scrapped. Rather than throw it away, it can be adapted into this style of car, if the owner wishes. Or not. It was also an exercise in trying to make a 'Cobra' that would accomodate a taller driver. It still has an AK chassis number and the work carried out will be recorded in the MkIV registry. Gerry Hawkridge has no problem with the MkIV - he owns one!

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 00:30:24 »
WOW !!, that car looks absolutely beautiful with the brushed aluminum, if I ever in the next 20 years need a paint job, that will be it (or lack of !!)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 22:57:32 »
This looks like a Kirkham body, my car was brushed aluminum just like that! A pain to keep clean!  [:)] Emmanuel

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 11:42:16 »
I think most of you MK IV drivers know the problem of changing brake fluid since the space between the brake fluid reservoir and the fender is really small. So I plan to relocate the brake fluid reservoir.

Here you can see the result. Now it is possible to use flexibe brakelines with a normal Dash 4 fitting. I think something similar is used in the lightweight versions, right?

Here is the picture putting all together. The bolts will be replaced by stainless steel versions.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 18:46:00 by dkp_cobra »

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 12:41:29 »
slick idea...it made me go back and look at MKV photos...malta had the same idea!!! It appears you are using the same cylinder assembly, but relocate the plastic resevour only?