Author Topic: Competition Tuning: The AC Ace-Bristol  (Read 5251 times)

W2EC

• View Profile
Competition Tuning: The AC Ace-Bristol
« on: March 22, 2012, 21:58:30 »
My being fresh to the on-line forums, I haven't run across this article, but in case it has already been covered, please let me know.

While searching thru some documents tonight I came across my original edition of Sports Cars Illustrated magazine, August 1959. One of the lead articles is "Competition Tuning: The AC Ace-Bristol".  The article itself is titled "Play Your Ace" by Dennis May. The article focuses on VPL442 and Ken Rudd. It contains several pictures of VPL442 and Ken, as well as some details on modifications to VPL442s chassis, body and Bristol engine.

I don't believe I have read this article in over 40 years, so it was almost as if I was reading it for the first time.

If it does not violate any conditions of the ACOC and Forum rules, I am willing to scan the article into a .pdf format in case anyone would be interested in receiving a copy. I don't know if this article, being taken from a magazine, albeit over 50 years old, would also be allowed, or even desired, in the "articles" section of the Members Area. Advice on this would be appreciated.

If a .pdf copy of this is permitted, at least sent between forum members, contact me direct w2ec at arrl dot net and I will be glad to send you a copy.

Regards, Paul

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 23:35:05 »
Why don't you scan it and post it?

Gus

W2EC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 00:16:58 »
As a newbee to the forum (although a rather older member, joined ACOC around 1968/1969) I wanted to tread lightly, wasn't sure what the policy was regarding posting of articles from magazines no matter how old. Reason is that over the last day or so of reading thru some of the forums, I've seen lots of people offer to send people various pdf files, but none that were posted, so I thought maybe posting of such pdf files was not permitted. Didn't want to make any mistakes, especially since this is a UK based site. Just not sure of the rules yet. If someone can clarify the rules, I'd be happy to post it, or at least provide a link so people could download it at will.

Paul

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 16:29:54 »
I suppose I could have been a violator than, but with no consequence...If there is a rule against it. I'm sure current magazines would not appreciate their livelihood being spread across the web for free, but an article from 40 years ago?

Gus

W2EC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 18:09:13 »
I've received several comments indicating it should be ok to add the article here, so here is a link to the pdf file. If there is a problem with this let me know. Thanks to all who provided comments, both here and direct.

Article on "Competition Tuning: The AC Ace-Bristol"

http://ac-cars.bmjsports.com/SCI-August-59-AC_Bristol.pdf

Regards, Paul

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 22:26:05 »
Paul.

Great little article, Like you, haven't read it for many years, I could be wrong, but wasn't this article featured many moons ago in ACtion ..[?]

Thanks for posting ...... A good read.

Enjoy !!

Keith.[;)]..[;)]

SimonH

• View Profile
Re: Competition Tuning: The AC Ace-Bristol
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 20:36:50 »
Hi I would be very much interested in this article as my father (Arthur Harwood) Was very much involved with the development of this car with Ken Rudd.

Arthur worked with Ken for a number of years, with all aspects of the development and preparation of numerous Ace's

Regards
Simon Harwood

bbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 06:43:10 »
Excellent article AND a good quality scan!
Thanks
Bert

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 15:47:47 »
V cool. I now know why our car (200 GPD) has the throttle activation pivot re-positioned. Bill Shaw who drove our Ace in the 1961 season against VPL442, piloted by Bob Staples, will have undoubtedly adopted the modification from the Rudd car. We also have the first under-shield mentioned in the aerodynamics section, and the throttle spindle modifications.