Author Topic: Fuel tank return fitting  (Read 4845 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« on: March 18, 2012, 13:20:36 »
I have a 1986 MK IV with a carburetor. Planning to convert it to www.eightstack.com fuel injection. Does my fuel tank have an existing fuel return fitting? If not, any suggestion how and where I should install one?

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 22:58:28 »
I couldn't tell you but maybe one of the other members who were involved in the original manufacturing might.  I would venture to guess it doesn't because these cars evolved into EFI in 1987 ... my 1988 has EFI and just this weekend after many months of searching for the original fuel pump it arrived Friday and saturday was the first time the car ran in 7 years.

I also have plans for IR EFI on my Pantera .. i had the intake made.

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 23:06:23 »
It may have a return line that is capped off....the mfgring year is almost irrelevant as my ex 7113 was EFI.. BA made purchases in as large quantities as he cou
   D. I recall seeing a photo someone posted within the last 30 days showing the location and fitting if the return line.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK1131

I have a 1986 MK IV with a carburetor. Planning to convert it to www.eightstack.com fuel injection. Does my fuel tank have an existing fuel return fitting? If not, any suggestion how and where I should install one?

AK1029 is a 1984 car and the tank has a connection for a fuel return line but not a return line.

jbottini

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:11:27 »
What I meant.....bung for a return, but capped off.

SB7019

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 14:17:54 »
The Eightstack system looks fantastic.

Are you planning to take the power much beyond 300 bhp?  If so, experience with the EFI Superblowers suggests that the fuel pump and fuel supply line need to be upgraded in order to handle the required volumes and pressures.   I  have also changed the ECU on mine in order provide the flexibility to adjust the mapping.  I presume the carburetted cars do not have an ECU so would be interested to know what system you plan to use with the Eightstack setup?

AK1131

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 21:04:51 »
Thanks for the info. I just delivered the system to my buddies shop today. We are going to do the modification ourselves. The first shop owner scared me and the second one never got around to the job. I bought the components from Mike Huddart at Huddart Engines in the UK. I had inquired on this forum regarding the Eight Stack system and Mike replied stating he has installed the system on many an engine. Mike offered a completed package of both mechanical and electronic components along with techinical support. It be a relatively easy install. We will see.[8D]

PS: There are two MK IV's advertised on Hemmings. One with a bill of sale from Mr.Muck.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 21:17:46 »
The below image shows a special fuel tank AC Cars made for my Superblower. You may be able to see thast it suts in a cradle in the boot (trunk)

The next image shows the tank now owder coated black. Excuse the dust!! You may be able to see two fuel bosses. One is the fuel feed, the other is the fuel return.

The bosses are 3/8 NPT threads.

The EFI fuel pump is mounted on the port side of the differential, the pre-pump filter on the starboard side of the diff.

Hope this is of some help.

Gary

westcott

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 19:12:51 »
Sorry for highjacking your post. Does anybody know the thread pitch of the fitting screwed into the bottom of a 85 Tank located behind the seats.

I want to replace the steel fitting by a aluminum one, is it 1/2 " BSF ?

The adapter has a outside diamter close to 13mm and has close to 6 thrads over a 1/4" length.

Thanks,
   Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

ak1234

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:47:54 »
0.540 in (13.72 mm) appears to be 1/4" NPT National Pipe Thread

18 threads per inch

westcott

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:16 »
Looks like a 1/4 to 3/8 BSP Adapter with 60° internal cone and should be 13.16mm diameter and not 12.97 as on the sample. It will be replaced by 1/4 BSP-Dash6 Adapter to mount directly the Dash6 tube going to the rest of the dash6 items as pre filter, pulsed EFI fuel pump and so on.

Thanks,
   Uwe
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

AK1131

• View Profile
Fuel tank return fitting
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 03:45:17 »
I found the return line. Install progressing.