Author Topic: AC Mk11 Classic  (Read 23740 times)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 11:56:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by SunDude

This is certainly true of the Superformance MkIII.  But in the case of the Shelby continuation Cobras (289 and 427) and of the SPF MkII, Hi-Tech replicates an original-style round tube chassis with 3-inch or 4-inch mains, depending on the model.  The MkII has transverse leaf-spring suspension, and the MkIII uses coil-spring suspension.  I would imagine the AC versions will be similar.

Brian, thanks for this info. I had missed that so far.

SunDude

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 13:29:40 »
With pleasure.

As it happens the guy who developed the MkII for Hi-Tech/SPF/Shelby et al. is the guy I bought my SPF Cobra from.  He painstakingly replicated the original CSX2000 cars for this project, and had access to an original throughout.  I saw one of his "babies" a year ago and it was simply stunning.  Only a marque expert like Ned Scudder could tell it from the real thing.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 13:55:49 »
quote:

With pleasure.

As it happens the guy who developed the MkII for Hi-Tech/SPF/Shelby et al. is the guy I bought my SPF Cobra from.  He painstakingly replicated the original CSX2000 cars for this project, and had access to an original throughout.  I saw one of his "babies" a year ago and it was simply stunning.  Only a marque expert like Ned Scudder could tell it from the real thing.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, Hi Tech will be building what is essentially the same car with Superformance, Shelby and AC badges. A sensible policy from AC's point of view since it avoids expensive development costs. The price in pounds (£67,500) seems to correlate closely with that in US dollars for the Superformance and Shelby versions in the States.

The 'badge engineering' is a little like BMC is the 1960s when you could buy Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley and MG variants of the same car!

SunDude

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 14:26:45 »
For some guys, having a Shelby or AC badge is worth the extra money over a Superformance.  But for me, my budget doesn't afford me the luxury of having to choose.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 17:13:47 »
I suppose the only difference when comparing prices will be that the AC will be a fully built car whereas the Superformance as sold in the US excludes engine and gearbox.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 21:40:43 »
quote:

For some guys, having a Shelby or AC badge is worth the extra money over a Superformance.  But for me, my budget doesn't afford me the luxury of having to choose.

Before I bought my AC Cobra MkIV, I had been extensively looking at the upper end of the replica market. I had owned a Mohr before. Kirkham were just about to start up. There were some superior handling replicas on the market over here like Superformance Mk III, CN Cobra (German built on Dax derived chassis). I had testdriven quite a few replicas and ACs then, some of the replicas had superior handling. But soon I realized that a good replica did cost almost as much as a MkIV!! So the choice was ultimately easy to make.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 21:47:29 »
quote:
   Originally posted by Chafford

The 'badge engineering' is a little like BMC is the 1960s when you could buy Austin, Morris, Riley, Wolseley and MG variants of the same car!

.... the difference being that BMC did the engineering, development and construction/assembly themselves, whereas here and now we have "foreign" products simply being badged as ACs and the world is made to believe that they are genuine ACs.

That is not my understanding of the definition of a car maker.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 02:20:29 »
quote:

Personally I'd much rather own a Kirkham with no Shelby or AC badge, than a Superformance with either...

Gus

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 16:41:24 »
Another photo of the Mk11 Classic from Geneva:

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:55:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by MkIV Lux

quote:
   Originally posted by Chafford

.... the difference being that BMC did the engineering, development and construction/assembly themselves, whereas here and now we have "foreign" products simply being badged as ACs and the world is made to believe that they are genuine ACs.

That is not my understanding of the definition of a car maker.

No, but if you want to take this approach, then the Autokraft MkIVs produced between 1982 and 1986 before Brian Angliss took a stake in the AC company were also 'foreign' products with an AC badge - the AC company playing no part in the MkIV's initial development.

Personally I prefer the inclusive approach: Autokrafts and the current cars being regarded as genuine ACs.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 13:26:33 »
Courtesy of 'MarkIV' on the Club Cobra website, here are some more photos of the Mk11 Classic. AC used the car developed by Riverside Racers in Canada with Hi Tech in South Africa as its Geneva show car with an AC badge attached - the car is now at Mark IV's Superformance dealership in the States and will be marketed as the Superformance Mk 11 'Slabside'. The Shelby CSX8000 series, also built by Hi Tech, is the same basic car.

http://www.riversideracers.com/

No doubt, this will be very close to the final AC model once it has passed Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) rules.

According to 'Mark IV', the chassis is a development of the one 'Superformance developed for the FIA and USRRC models using the original AC Cars blueprints and specifications. Upgrades including stronger frame tubes, updated Wilwood brakes and other modifications provide an improved driving experience while keeping the original feel.'

TLegate

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 18:13:33 »
I see no side indicator repeaters...and the interior...good luck with IVA!

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 19:11:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I see no side indicator repeaters...and the interior...good luck with IVA!

According to Terry Webb, the plan is for Jurgen Mohr in Germany to homologate and complete all models before they are sent to the dealers.

riverside

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 02:19:10 »
All of the above pictures are of my pre production car. It was rushed off to Geneva for that show but it was built for me, and not to meet IVA specs. which we don`t have to meet here.
   The car that was sent to Goodwood was the first rh version and the first of the 50 Celebration cars.
   That car has most of the IVA requirements.
   The next car,which left the factory today for the Mcau motor show in China, is closer to the real deal. This car has already been sold so will remain in Asia.
   Ross

Chafford

• View Profile
AC Mk11 Classic
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 21:47:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by riverside

All of the above pictures are of my pre production car. It was rushed off to Geneva for that show but it was built for me, and not to meet IVA specs. which we don`t have to meet here.
   The car that was sent to Goodwood was the first rh version and the first of the 50 Celebration cars.
   That car has most of the IVA requirements.
   The next car,which left the factory today for the Mcau motor show in China, is closer to the real deal. This car has already been sold so will remain in Asia.
   Ross

Congratulations Ross!

This was the press release for the £75,000 AC MkII Classic 50th Anniversary Special Edition with 350hp 306ci Ford V8:

http://www.automotivepr.com/news_detail.php?AC-celebrates-50-years-of-Cobra-at-Goodwood-Revival-with-its-own-classic-model-1208