Author Topic: AC 378 GT Zagato  (Read 37494 times)

Mark IV

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 00:15:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I read recently of a plan to build that bad boy. Who knows? As always, Ford missed the boat.

Can I say the Zagato in Gulf colours look c**p. And it can't be sold in the USA in that paint scheme due to copyright :)

Mr. Czar,

No, the paint scheme is NOT copyright. The ability to call it a "Gulf" scheme is.

I sell Superformance GT40s with a blue/orange color design that is called "heritage". Just as did Ford with the Ford GT in 2006, they couldn't use the "Gulf" descrition but rather called it a "heritage" design.

More than one way to skin that cat (FYI, they are only good deep fried with some cajun seasoning)

TLegate

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35:11 »
Happy to stand corrected Lord Muck, I read it wrong. We do like a nice bit of 'Heritage' here at Legate Towers (just not fond of the combination marigold and baby blue :)

I'll take your word regarding the cat recipe. You foreign chappies do have some funny habits...still recovering from some of the things on the lunch menu when we stopped in Lexington on the Cobra Tour. I think they served road kill :(

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 11:01:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by SB7019: My initial impression was "wow - it"'s gorgeous" and the more I look at it the prettier it becomes.  Is it just me, or is there also some likeness - particularly in stance - to the A98 coupe?

I think it most resembles the Shelby GR-1:

The project that was dropped in favour of the Ford GT. Shame, I loved the look of it!

The GR-1 is not as good looking as the 378.

If AC are to maximise sales they should offer an automatic gearbox option - all the rivals do and the Corvette engine has a ready made gearbox solution.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 21:22:42 »
378 GT Zagato Rear View

The whole AC range: 378 GT Zagato, MKVI, aluminium and composite Mk11s

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:56 »
If we get the "small volume exemption" law passed in the US that is under consideration, this will sell well here when offered as complete car rather than as a "rolling chassis" for owner completion as the law currently requires

I was not aware of such an effort. Is that a SEMA initiative that will be introduced in the individual states, or will this be a federal thing? That would rock the world of hot rodders and replica manufacturers.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 02:45:27 »
Leave it to a new yorker from Buffalo to tell you fried cat in Cajun seasoning is good...

Gus

Mark IV

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 12:22:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

If we get the "small volume exemption" law passed in the US that is under consideration, this will sell well here when offered as complete car rather than as a "rolling chassis" for owner completion as the law currently requires

I was not aware of such an effort. Is that a SEMA initiative that will be introduced in the individual states, or will this be a federal thing? That would rock the world of hot rodders and replica manufacturers.

Gus

It is a federal proposal. I would think SEMA will support it. The bill will reduce the NHTSA safety requirements for small volume manufacturers and allow for easier "piggybacking" of EPA certification. The AC 378 Zagato would piggyback on the Corvette EPA certification.

See http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/29/bill-introduced-to-give-low-volume-vehicle-manufacturers-a-break/ for info.

Gee Gus, I post one time about "deep fried Kitty" and I'm branded for life! Well, maybe it WAS more than once!

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 20:39:48 »
At £90k, AC must provide an automatic gearbox option otherwise they'll lose sales. Even Morgan with their Aero Coupe and the latest Plus 8 Roadster offer automatics.

Given that GM already provide an automatic 6 speed for the LS3 engine, a suitable gearbox should be readily available.

Spantik

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 21:07:32 »
The Zagato was offered on the website (http://www.ac-automotive.com/) and disappeared a couple of days ago... I guess that the new AC is still struggling for its survival.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 21:39:30 »
I saw that, but probably a case of advertising the car (no prices were given) before it's ready for sale. The press release before the recent Goodwood Festival of Speed was much more optimistic:

http://www.automotivepr.com/news_detail.php?UK-preview-for-new-AC-supercar-at-Goodwood-Festival-1149

Spantik

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 07:43:10 »
Thanks for the update.

I am also optimistic as I ordered a MK VI early in 2011 after having driven the prototype in Autumn 2010, and still waiting for delivery, which is announced between October 2012 and April 2013.
   It has been a long journey with many promises and the journey goes on as news are very rare from AC. This reminds me Sir Jeremy Mackenzie statement in The Telegraph back in July 2012: "The problem for AC in recent years has been an inability to meet the demands of dealers, and any company that can’t meet the expectations of its clients is doomed to failure", not mentioning meeting the needs of customers!

Well as far as I own the rolling chassis now (chassis and engine nb. have been yet confirmed in written form, so far), I am confident I will get the car sometimes in the coming months but it is quite an adventure reviving the AC brand. I really hope for this success as AC has been the car maker I cherished already as a kid and the AC legacy deserves it.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 12:28:17 »
According to this press release, the 378GT Zagato is now on sale in the UK in rhd form for £99,990 although there doesn't appear to be an up to date AC website yet.

http://www.automotivepr.com/news_detail.php?AC-378-GT-Zagato-wows-at-Auto-e-Moto-d-Epoca-2012-1255

Spantik

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 19:49:30 »
Good to read all these press releases, thanks Mark for sharing. It seems that Sir Jeremy is instilling a new momentum into AC and revigorating the brand. Things move forward.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 15:43:50 »
I'm not sure Sir Jeremy has instilled much momentum into AC. As far as I'm aware, the 378GT Zagato hasn't yet been launched in the UK.  Shades of the gestation period for the 3000ME?

Rob.Hendriks

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 00:34:43 »
Sir J does not even have the decency to respond to emails addressed to him, chosing instead to forward to others, who seem to have little interest in addressing issues and moving the company forward - not what one would expect given the PR in 2012