Author Topic: AC 378 GT Zagato  (Read 37491 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 19:53:33 »
Given half decent management, this car has every chance of being a success for AC - good looks, competitive price within its class, proven engine, design already developed and a long established factory where the car will be built. What could possibly go wrong?

DGoose

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 13:16:37 »
Article below makes you believe this may actually happen.

http://www.torquenews.com/1079/ac-cars-378-british-coupe-italian-zagato-dress

There are plenty of very nice cars out there priced below the rather optimistic $145k (£95k) price suggested in the attached article, would an AC badge add sufficient cred to make it sell at this figure?

As an example you could buy a Maserati Granturismo for approx £12k less.

I guess the most likely buyers would already be aware of the AC brand, may very well be members of the ACOC and as such would be mightily hacked of with AC Cars and their stance regarding the club badge etc - probably not a great idea to alienate your future customer base.

Having got that off my chest, if the price point was in line with the previous Perana Z-One incarnation at sub £50k this could be a very enticing proposition.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 15:44:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford...What could possibly go wrong?

OH PLEASE don`t say that!
   I really hope that this is the rebirth that AC has long, long needed!

SB7019

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 17:55:59 »
My initial impression was "wow - it"'s gorgeous" and the more I look at it the prettier it becomes.  Is it just me, or is there also some likeness - particularly in stance - to the A98 coupe?

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 19:34:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019

My initial impression was "wow - it"'s gorgeous" and the more I look at it the prettier it becomes.  Is it just me, or is there also some likeness - particularly in stance - to the A98 coupe?

Agreed.

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 19:48:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by DGoose

Article below makes you believe this may actually happen.

http://www.torquenews.com/1079/ac-cars-378-british-coupe-italian-zagato-dress

There are plenty of very nice cars out there priced below the rather optimistic $145k (£95k) price suggested in the attached article, would an AC badge add sufficient cred to make it sell at this figure?

As an example you could buy a Maserati Granturismo for approx £12k less.

I guess the most likely buyers would already be aware of the AC brand, may very well be members of the ACOC and as such would be mightily hacked of with AC Cars and their stance regarding the club badge etc - probably not a great idea to alienate your future customer base.

Having got that off my chest, if the price point was in line with the previous Perana Z-One incarnation at sub £50k this could be a very enticing proposition.

The press release quotes just under £90k which compares well with a Jaguar XKR-S and the Maserati GranTurismo, neither of which, in my opinion, have the looks or the exclusivity of the AC. The 378 is also half the price of the Noble M600.

http://www.automotivepr.com/news_detail.php?AC-returns-to-Geneva-with-four-car-line-up-including-a-new-supercar-1064

TVR made the mistake of pricing their cars too cheaply resulting in customers carrying out the final development work. AC can't afford to make the same mistake.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 21:29:31 »
I can't help my critical mind to raise the question as to "why didn't this supercar sell since its presentation on the Geneva Motor Show of 2009 as the Perana Z-One?"
   The answer perhaps resides in the fact that it has been developed though by Zagato but in association with a rather unknown partner. Zagato being primarily a designer and body manufacturer. Had it been the product of a well established car manufacturer in association with Zagato, the result might have been different!
   Now we know (do we?) that AC had no fingers in its development, is it reasonable to believe that the simple replacement of a few badges by AC badges would make it sell?
   I would have loved to see the Malta operation of AC develop into a well established manufacturing site and be responsible for the development of a car like this in association with a company like Zagato or another recognized designer.
   Instead they jump on a  bandwagon seizing the opportunity to rebadge a product that failed to impress potential customers during 3 years of existence.
   Now why are cars selling these days? Because they are the natural development of a line: example Jaguar XKR, Aston Martin Vantage, Mercedes SLS AMG etc... at the right pricing for sure! But it takes a hell lot of advertising and promotional efforts to accompany the launch of such vehicles. For example early 2010 Mercedes Benz had organized customer days during 3 weeks at Le Castellet race track to allow select potential customers test their new baby during half day sessions! (I had the pleasure to be part of a group of MB customers from Luxembourg). Look at the advertising budgets spent on the launch of vehicles by even the well established manufacturers. AC even haven't put the resources into updating their website, featuring the products that they actually want to sell.

So I do have my serious doubts of whether this is going to be good for our beloved marque?

Constant

Mark IV

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 22:18:05 »
I am not privvy to any of the details of the AC agreement with Hi Tech, the manufacturer, so I will not comment on the pricing or distribution details.

As to the previous version (Perana Z-One) "not selling", it was not offered for sale in the EU as the certification was not completed. The Can-Bus electrical system took much longer than expected to develop and the help from General Motors was less trhan was was anticipated.

The big hold up was the distribution was committed to a Swiss "businessman" who never followed through on his commitments, both financial and distribution wise.

Hi Tech has had a tough couple of years and the productionization of the car has taken longer and cost more that expected.

It is a hell of a product, I had the US demonstrator in my shop for a while and I am very impressed with the design and execution. There are many bespoke parts on the car that on other low volume cars would be parts bins specials.

If we get the "small volume exemption" law passed in the US that is under consideration, this will sell well here when offered as complete car rather than as a "rolling chassis" for owner completion as the law currently requires

Despite my previous experiences with "AC", I would distribute this in a heartbeat.

Classicus

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:33 »
Seeing the beautiful outline of A98 and the 378 together there is a resemblance, which then makes you wonder if there's any racing programme planned.

Anyone know who designed the A98 as my feeling is it could well have been Derek himself !

TLegate

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:54 »
A98 = Alan Turner. (Derek..????) Got the aerodynamics right, straight out of the box :)

Now that HiTech is back on track (thankfully) I look forward to seeing the Perana in the metal as it's a stonking shape. Always did have a thing for Zagato. I think it makes an interesting alternative to the cars mentioned above. Having sampled a 75th-edition top-end XKR I can confirm it goes like a Superformance Daytona which is saying something...but it's still a Jaaag...like the Maserati apart from the naff 'choice' of gearbox and the Merc is luvverly but as wide as a London bus. But - and it's a big but - for the money they will have to get the quality of the interior spot 0n!

Chafford

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:19 »

You can download these pictures here:

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ac-cars/2012-ac-378-gt-zagato-ar126048/picture442445.html

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 20:03:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019: My initial impression was "wow - it"'s gorgeous" and the more I look at it the prettier it becomes.  Is it just me, or is there also some likeness - particularly in stance - to the A98 coupe?

I think it most resembles the Shelby GR-1:

The project that was dropped in favour of the Ford GT. Shame, I loved the look of it!

TLegate

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 20:11:35 »
I read recently of a plan to build that bad boy. Who knows? As always, Ford missed the boat.

Can I say the Zagato in Gulf colours look c**p. And it can't be sold in the USA in that paint scheme due to copyright :)

SB7019

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 20:45:23 »
Nick.

Can I slip my anorak on and point out that the GR-1 was first shown in 2005 as a potential follow up to the Ford GT after production of the GT ended?

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC 378 GT Zagato
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 21:02:00 »
You certainly can, Peter! I must also agree with the Cobra Czar about the 378 in Gulf colours!
   Quite like the nose without the eggcrate grill though, as in the Shelby blue'n'white pic, and I`d prefer the opening to be a bit more "289" than "427" too, like this:

r

But that`s just me!