Author Topic: AC Frua manual 4 speed conversion.  (Read 18757 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC Frua manual 4 speed conversion.
« on: January 14, 2007, 15:25:01 »
I am in the process of converting my Frua to a manual box! I am doing it because I think it will make the car more enjoyable for me to drive. I already purchased a proper Ford Top-Loader box. I have 3 questions for you guys:

What is the proper shift mechanism mounted originally on the Frua? I have seen photos of cars with the short forward shifter like the Cobra MKII and I have seen photos where the shifter was the long Cobra 427 type. I can install either since all is needed is a different tail-shaft and I have not bought a shifter yet!

What is the proper tail-shaft for the Top Loader?

Also would it be sacrilegious to mount a modern Tremec 5 speed TKO600? Would it hurt resale?

Any feedback appreciated!

Emmanuel [?]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 19:01:36 »
Can anyone post interior photos of manual transmission Fruas'?

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 15:14:07 »
With the torque range from your engine, 4 gears & the right rear ratio would be good, but why consider a 5-speed if you fear it would affect value?
   If you were to sell, I would have thought a change to either from the original auto would be detrimental to value.
   Nik.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 17:28:40 »
If you really must go for a manual (I would not bother) then the fewer gears the better. The first of the Shelby Daytona Coupes (OK, from Superformance!) had a 6-speed box which was definately two cogs too many. They now fit 5-speed - but with that much torque, three of those are pretty redundant.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 17:50:53 »
Trevor, Andy, I have still not decided whether I want to go with the Top-loader which I have already sent to David Kee or just install a Modern TKO 600! What do you think?

With the Top-loader, final ratio should be 3.08, with the Tremec (.82 Fifth) the ideal final ratio should be 3.31.

An overdrive gear would make the car more enjoyable on the freeway! The TKO's first four gears are very close to the Top-Loader. I have spoken to various experts who don't think this would affect resale, the car being so rare. Any input welcomed!

Emmanuel

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 15:20:31 »
I doubt that it would affect value as the car was available with either transmission. If all else fails I'll give you $1000 and take it off your hands. I'm generous like that.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 16:26:09 »
OK, I have selected to stay with the Toploader. It's a better shifting box than the TKO and it's original. The tail shaft selected is the 17" Torino (31 spline) with a modified Hurst short shifter which will look like the MKII Cobra when installed. The advantage to this setup is that the box is the same dimension as the C6 and should bolt right in without any modification to either chassis or driveshaft, we will see. David Kee suggested that I use the wide ratio setup since I am planning to use a long rear end, 288 or 308. Originally, Toploaders were only setup as close ratio with a big block motor 1 3/8 input shaft, but Kee can set up both. 1st will be 2.70 instead of 2.12. We will see when I get the box back! It seems that the chassis is already set up for the Toploader, the rear chassis mount has 2 sets of holes, nice touch. The bell housing we found is from a Ford Galaxy 427. I am excited about it.

Emmanuel

nanard289

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 22:06:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Can anyone post interior photos of manual transmission Fruas'?

Emmanuel

I only find this link but you need good glasses to see any details [:(]:
   http://www.motorlegend.com/coupe/ac-428-frua/6,12586.html
   Have a look page 2/2

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:08:47 »
Nanard289, Thanks for the photo, I already saw that picture, this car is supposed to be the prototype coupe and the setup is pure cobra MKIII with the 14" Mustang/Cougar (28 Spline) Tail shaft which places the shifter completely at the back of the trans., which explains the long forward lever (shortened to clear the dashboard I think). The MKII used the Galaxy tail shaft with the shifter assembly way forward, this was the gearbox I bought and with this setup, the shifter would come out under the radio! A small problem! I have seen later cars (supposedly factory built) with the short vertical MKII like shifter. I think the only tail shaft that will work, is the Torino unit available late 60's and early 70's. It should place the shifter about right, it's probably the one AC used for the later cars.  I think this setup is better looking. VOILA!

Emmanuel

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 01:42:00 »
"GalaxIE" in Ford speak, Not "GALAXY." "Galaxie 500", et. al. Worrying about resale on a car that had less than 100 built is silly unless you are a "flipper."

I thought the C6 in the coupe I had for a while was way cool with the "U" shifter....not a lot of those out there.

Rick

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 02:59:11 »
Actually, you are right Galaxy refers to a modern Ford Minivan and Galaxie is the 60's car. English or French spelling who cares. You are also probably right that the resale value would not be affected much. However, I still think the car should remain as original as possible. As far as the auto shifter, it is a 68 Galaxie unit, UGLY as sin to me! and it gets burning hot in the summer. I think a nice GT like this should be manual!

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 07:01:46 »
WOW! you get the whole console & linkage for $200 from one guy, or just the handle for $400!!!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 17:34:14 »
I have a feeling he may have a hard time selling the shifter! Anyway, the point is: a replacement shifter for the Frua can be found relatively easily! Emmanuel