Author Topic: Ace Body Finish  (Read 3087 times)

BEX308

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« on: March 05, 2012, 14:59:35 »
It's almost time to put the body back on 308. Does anyone know whether the factory applied any coatings to the inside of the alloy body skin or was it left bare?
   Pete

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 15:14:58 »
Bare

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 18:22:30 »
   Peter.

All inner panels, floor etc left bare Ali with Doors, Trunk and Hood painted on both sides body colour.
   However.. Inside the Trunk, should it be finished in Flock [?].

Have followed your restoration from the forlorn looking Blue Ace of April 2007, rebuilding the chassis, to the execution of bodywork in 2011.
   With all the carefull preparation of Chassis and Body work
   are you Painting BEX308 Black with Red Leather as it left Thames Ditton in June 1957 or with nose and Body stripe as worn when heavily crashed at LimeRock in 1958.
   or Blue as per Summer of  1970..[?]..[?]

Black..[;)]..[:)]   Mind you, I could be bias as BEX333 is Black with Red leather ..

Seriously,  With all the work that's gone into the Aluminium  Body
   a darker colour really shows off the contours to there best, from any angle.

The light at the end of the tunnel,  A great Restoration Project.

Look forward to seeing pictures of BEX308 in its new coat, irrespective of Shade or density of  BLACK..[;)].

Keith..[:)]

BEX308

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 18:40:34 »
Keith,
   It will be black with the red stripe and red leather as raced in late '58 and '59 after the Lime Rock crash. I met with John Willock and Bill Wonder (owners one and two) at the shop a couple of weeks ago and learned a bit more about the history of 308 and showed them the current status. Since both these guys are involved it can only be black; of course your vote makes the decision even easier.
   Pete

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 21:33:51 »
And here`s a very brief pictorial history of 308, starting off with racing at LimeRock in 1958:

sadly not going home in one piece from LimeRock in 1958:

...by 1970, Bex got the blues:

...and by 2007 the blues are wearing thin!

Then along came Pete, to restore the tired old girl:

...looking good, nearly there!!!

BEX308

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 23:22:05 »
Nik,
   First picture is Bill Wonder at Lime Rock May 9,1959; second picture is after crash at Lime Rock April 27, 1958. John still owns the 1940 Ford truck the car is on in the photo. Bill got the car after the rebuild in '58 and began racing it in September of that year. Bill Wonder added the red stripe when he got the car; when John Willock raced it it was all black, or as Keith says BLACK.
   I bought it in 1970 and by that time it was blue but I don't know who changed the color. I can tell you that with the 215 it was quick!
   Pete

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:40:02 »
Nik

Thank you for posting the Pictures of Petes  BEX308.
   Pete..  .. Hope you dont Mind, Should have asked first.

Lets hope more Racing  History comes to Light and Pete continues to exercise BEX308 to the full. ...  Enjoy !!..[:p]

Please post pictures once it is waring it's new coat of BLACK .[;)]

Keith.[:)]..[:)]

BEX308

• View Profile
Ace Body Finish
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 15:14:18 »
Keith,
   No problem with the pictures being posted. As you know, given enough time and a very healthy dose of curiosity it is possible to piece together a pretty complete history of a given Ace. I have much of the race history of 308 but I know there are still a few pieces missing so the search continues.
   I have tried to keep a good photo record of the total restoration process and probably have a picture of every square inch of 308; but just a couple of weeks ago I had to re-machine and bush the rear uprights and didn't take a single picture of the entire operation; now in a year or so I won't remember the details of what I did. At least the rear wheels now point solidly in the right direction.
   Pete