Author Topic: Ace Rear Ends  (Read 3179 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Ace Rear Ends
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:31 »
A quick question for the experts. Did all Aces receive the Env rear end or did some get the Salisbury rear end?
   Thanks,
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Rear Ends
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:12 »
Jay.

Having read much data and viewed many Ace and Aceca's over the years I have never seen a Salisbury Diff in a Standard unmolested Thames | Ditton Ace or Aceca.

All have been fitted with ENV differentials with ratios of 3.6- 3.9 or 4.3. ( I have a tabulation of  Diff Ratios against 16" and 15" wheel sizes which could be of interest if its for evaluting ratios for racing.)

However many Aces and Acecas lost their original engines and as values were low they were treated as a everyday cheap second hand sports car, Therefore were  Cobra-ised by receiving V8s. V6 or straight 6 conversions, resulting in Higher torque and greater BHP.

This often resulted in Mutalation [V] of the rear end and converion to various rear ends.[:(].[V]. Mind you it kept the AC on the road or track and out of the scrapyard.[:)].
   So we should be gratefull.[;)]

Not sure if this helps, but I err on the Side that all Aces and Acecas left Thames Ditton fitted with ENV Diffs, However that doesn't mean AC Cars didn't experiment with the odd conversion as they were manufacturing Cobras alongside the last Aces.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can elaborate.

P.S.
   In the meantime if you need a Quaife LSD for your ENV I have a NOS unit in secure dry storage which never found its way into the ENV diff of BEX333 as intended .[;)]

Keith..[:)]

aex125

• View Profile
Ace Rear Ends
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 14:57:42 »
Thanks Keith and that is consistent with what I had found in books. The reason I ask the question is I recently found some info that alluded to the last 2 years of Aces having the Salisbury rear ends instead of the ENVs. I have found no other confirmation, so I am guessing the salisbury information is in error.

Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Rear Ends
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 19:30:44 »
Jay.

Hopefully some one with first hand information can confirm whether a very late Ace was fitted with a Salsbury..[?] due to increased power output of the 260 / 289 Ford Power plant of the Cobra, being built in quantity along side the last few Ace.

Gut feeling says all Aces left TD with ENV diffs.[;)]

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Ace Rear Ends
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 21:49:50 »
I thought the main difference was that the Aceca was rubber mounted to reduce cabin roise from the axle but still was an ENV diff.

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Rear Ends
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:38 »
Robin.

OOPPppsssss.......

Well spotted,  the error has been removed from earlier posting.