Author Topic: girling brake master cylinders  (Read 5006 times)

bex1151

• View Profile
girling brake master cylinders
« on: February 24, 2012, 18:41:52 »
I am considering converting to a dual brake system for my BEX1002.  There was an old post indicating that changing to Girling #74660152-060 might work.  The post is no longer on the forum.  Did this conversion work?  Is there another unit that works? Has anyone tried a Girling #64676597 from a non-servo 66-67 Cortina?

Is there a replacement for the original single circuit Girling #310680 master cylinder since TRW says this unit is no longer available?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 17:01:36 »
Hi... ...   R & T Tush !!

Thought about tandem braking system on BEX333, After poor old Sally Shepherd hit the wall at the end of the Mulsanne Straight a few years back during practice for the Le Mans Classic, when the pedal hit the metal before she hit the tyre wall broadside. ( Can someone  please post copy of Picture from back issue of ACtion..[?])

On RHD Aces no problem, However on LHD there isn't enough room to do a straight forward Tandem Master Cylinder conversion, unless you relocate the Battery to the boot (Trunk).  Mind you one could always fit a pair of master cylinders side by side, if there is enough space in and infront of the peddle box..[:(]..[?].

Suggest you contact  Nigel Winchester who has carried out this mod on various Aces.

Sorry haven't his email address or tel number handy at present, will add to forum or email you when I get home. ..  .. Good Luck..[;)]

Keith..[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 00:49:50 »
Quick follow up:-

Winchester Motorsport...........[8D]

Nigel Winchester... 00 44 (0) 1923 264 999
   or  mobile..........00 44 (0) 7831 433 100

Good Luck,  Please keep us  all informed of progress, as there are a few interested parties who could follow suit in the interest of Safety..[;)]

Keith..[:)]

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 17:33:12 »
We also provide a tandem brake system for ACE and ACECA and also have fitted dual system servos in the past. However we have over the years had many customers asking for a servo system to be fitted because their brake peddle had a wooden feeling and also requiring a lot of effort to get the most out of the brakes. This problem has been found (when frozen callipers are excluded from the problem ) to be caused by incorrect master cylinder bore size. We have found in Ace's and Aceca's 5/8, 3/4 and 7/8 master cylinders for the brakes!
   I have found that a well set up and balanced twin master cylinder set up on standard Girling callipers with the correct pad and shoe materials gives excellent effect and feel without the need of a servo.
   Yes Yes Yes to dual circuit systems, after a very hairy experience in a Lotus Elan I will never race on a single circuit system!