Author Topic: 2-Litre suspension - on going issue  (Read 3267 times)

gregory

• View Profile
2-Litre suspension - on going issue
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:46:18 »
Has anyone got any ideas about this problem I have. The car is a 1951
   2-door saloon and has always leaned slightly to the o/s at the rear.
   It rides about an inch lower on the drivers side. I have had all the springs re-tensioned about 9 years ago and again about a year ago I had the rear ones done again, this time with 3 new leafs on both sides. The rear shackles move although I do not know if they move enough/too much etc. If you rock the car whilst stationary it seems to settle to the level, but after being driven it sits low again...any ideas ?

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 23:13:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by gregory

It rides about an inch lower on the drivers side.

A pure long-shot this, but leaf springs can develop a lot of friction between the leaves. This could prevent the car recovering when load is removed, but would be overcome when you shake the car with no load.

Try spraying the leaves with a light penetrating lubricant. If that works then a more permanent solution, used in period, would be to grease the leaves and wrap them in a some sort of boot.

Let us know how you get on!

gregory

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:27:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by ACOCArch

quote:
Originally posted by gregory

It rides about an inch lower on the drivers side.

A pure long-shot this, but leaf springs can develop a lot of friction between the leaves. This could prevent the car recovering when load is removed, but would be overcome when you shake the car with no load.

Try spraying the leaves with a light penetrating lubricant. If that works then a more permanent solution, used in period, would be to grease the leaves and wrap them in a some sort of boot.

Let us know how you get on!

OK thanks, I will try, although I would have thought when they were rebuilt they might have greased them, but I do not know for sure.
   How would you recommend getting grease between the leaves as they are bolted tight currently of course. Would I slightly release the centre bolt to allow theleaves to seperate a bit or do you think a spray lube will get between the springs ?

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:44 »
[/quote]
   How would you recommend getting grease between the leaves?
   [/quote]

I suggest jacking the car in the normal Two-Litre way(not under the axle)to take the weight off the springs, clean and dry the springs then spray with WD40 or a spray grease, and leave for a day or two. Wipe off any excess (don't want it getting on tyres etc) and then drive around for a few miles to work it all in.

If your new springs have a non-metallic interlayer between the leaves then it would be advisable to check a small section of this for compatibility first.

briangwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 21:46:19 »
This used to be a common problem with leaf springs there is a tool to grease the springs It is in the form of a G clamp with a fine wedge at one side of the clamp and a similar wedge on the opposite end on this side a grease nipple is fitted forcing grease down through the wedge. prior to using this you jack up the car to releave tension off the spring and screw in the G clamp (wedges) I have one of these tools will post a picture if someone tells me how to.    briangwood

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 23:40:06 »
On behalf of Brian here is a picture of the tool he mentioned.

Jerry

gregory

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 12:35:40 »
Brian / Jerry..OK that looks interesting. Never heard of that tool. Just need to try to find one !!
   Certainly will give that a go.
   Many thanks Greg