Author Topic: Classic cars are too small  (Read 3973 times)

siegfried

• View Profile
Classic cars are too small
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:25:53 »
I found this article in the last issue of Classic Cars
   Siegfried

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 21:37:43 »
Ha! This is my problem as well. My solutions:
   1) AC 428 Frua (a bit tight in the headroom department, but I can live with it)
   2) Jaguar XK150 Drophead, with the "head" dropped.
   3) Talbot Lago T26 GSL (lots of room, but was too scarey)
   4) Bristol 406 E (this was great, but the Bristol engine had to work very hard to move that much weight)(but did reach 100 mph with two on board plus 200 lbs of tools)
   5) Bristol 404 - once inside, plenty of legroom and fun to drive.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 14:57:20 »
The main problem for the tall Mr Grant would be finding a 428 in his £50k budget!!!
   I`m not 6'6", but we did comfortably fit a gentleman of this stature into the Greyhound, and there was still room for me behind him.
   Greyhound values, even with Bristol engine should still be within this chap`s range...just got to find one!

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 17:51:26 »
Do you remember the now sadly departed Adrian Hall. He was well over 6' tall and raced his Ace Bristol with only his head visible. He also drove a 1960s Fiat 500 on the road, and it was hilarious seeing him turn up at the pub, and his tall self emerge from such a tiny vehicle. He claimed there was room to spare inside! That would be well within budget. It is often possible to extend the foot boxes on cars with a chassis, a job we have effectively accomplished on several AC models over the years to accommodate the taller gentleman.

siegfried

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 13:40:15 »
Interesting questions !

AC 428 Frua and De Tomaso Mangusta
   NOVEMBER 20, 2012 BY MIKE 7 COMMENTS
   by Mike –
   This 1969 De Tomaso Mangusta is for sale on eBay with a Buy It Now Price of $$119,900.

1969 De Tomaso Mangusta
   The seller, Daniel Schmitt & Co. (in St. Louis, Missouri), says it has just completed a restoration and has 36,325 miles. The photos look good and if the description is accurate this looks like a great Mangusta.

1969 De Tomaso Mangusta

1969 De Tomaso Mangusta
   This 1969 AC 428 Frua shown below was listed on eBay at a price of $255,000. It was listed by Hyman Ltd. (also in St. Louis). The eBay listing has ended and it is not on the Hyman web site now so maybe it sold.

1969 AC 428 Frua

1969 AC 428 Frua
   The seller says: “This 1969 example is in remarkable condition with just under 17,000 original miles and has never had, or needed, restoration yet today in metallic silver paint with its original black leather upholstery and interior trim looks crisp, sharp and exquisite. It has been repainted to very high standards.”

1969 AC 428 Frua
   The Questions
   1) Here we have two excellent examples of European styled cars with American power (both Ford powered). Mike Clarke sent me the AC Frua eBay listing and asked why this car would be so much more expensive than a Mangusta. This AC Frua is priced at more than two times the price of this Mangusta.
   Is this justified? The Mangusta is a more beautiful car but I suspect the AC Frua is a better driver. Neither have any racing history and both were made in low numbers, although there are fewer AC Fruas around that Mangustas.
   As a talking point, the latest issue of the Hagerty Price Guide has the following values for condition 1 cars:
   1969 AC 428: $96,400
   1969 De Tomaso Mangusta: $145,000
   I do not believe that price guides are always correct but you can see why this is confusing.
   Let us know in the comments what you think about Mangusta values versus AC 428 Frua values.
   2) The other question – why are two such great cars both in St. Louis?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 19:40:58 »
We have gone over this before, aside from personal prejudice from a magazine editor, because of the limited amount of 428, they seldom go on for sale, and the data does not get updated regularly specially in America! But try to buy one a that price!

Regarding the size of classic cars, I think we got too many fat people these days.[:D] Because of all the safety legislation, car are getting bigger, at least in the US. Gone are the fun little sports cars of the past, this is why people are willing to pay big money to buy them.

Emmanuel[:)]