Author Topic: AC engine starter mounting/position  (Read 2260 times)

59 Aceca

• View Profile
AC engine starter mounting/position
« on: February 09, 2012, 23:21:50 »
Hello AC folk,

I would appreciate any input on the following.  I noticed the other day that my starter seemed to have backed out slightly from its mounting and was a little wobbly.  I loosened the lock nut and bolt, and wiggled the starter back into place, then tightened the bolt and lock nut again.  Upon briefly test firing the starter I heard some metal on metal so backed out the bolt.  Tried starting again and everything sounded fine.  Drove for a bit then shut the engine off for a couple of minutes.  Upon starting the car back up, I heard a brief metalic sound then the engine ran fine.  I've backed the bolt off twice now with the same result - no metallic sound when the engine is cold, brief metallic sound when the engine is warm.  Should I back out the bolt more?  Back the starter out a bit?  Am I hurting anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greg

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:58:07 »
The Bendix might need to be cleaned & lightly lubricated as the starter pinion may not be moving freely to return to its rest position out of way of the ring gear & so just touching it.
   Remove the starter completely & see check if pinion is free to move back without assistance.

Robin

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 21:09:51 »
Robin,

Thanks for your quick response and a great suggestion.

Greg