Author Topic: Brooklands Double Twelve event  (Read 9246 times)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Brooklands Double Twelve event
« on: February 08, 2012, 14:02:09 »
I have been in contact with one of the organisers of the Double Twelve event at Brooklands (Surrey).
   www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/double12

We have the opportunity for a few of our cars to be part part of a static ACOC display during the weekend of the event. We don’t have to have the same cars for both days so you can only do one day if you want. The one requirement from the organisers is we must have at least one club member man the stand at all times. This is because in previous years they’ve had complaints from the public who have been unable to talk owners / club reps because some clubs have got in for free and then leave their display unmanned.

I would appreciate an indication of interest in order to let Brooklands know. Please email me if you are interested and I will start a list and email the paperwork to you.
   Thanks – John.
   john@moonlightmedia.co.uk

14kenyons

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:00 »
Hi John,

You can put me down for the Double Twelve stand, along with the Greyhound, if you like...

Mike Frayn

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 14:32:49 »
Hi Mike,
   Your name is now on the list, thanks for the support - John.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:40:53 »
Further information on this event is on the AC Heritage Website:

AC Heritage are opening the Motorworks with displays on the site, original Thames Ditton factory tooling and Brooklands Racing Trophies. The factory 'bibles', cars built at Brooklands will be on display. A special Autokraft era display of the MK1V, the latest in AC factory production and an all Cobra Scalextric race! The  AC Heritage factory prototype cars.

http://www.accars.co.uk/

And from the Brooklands Museum Site:

A spectacular display of AC Cobras, celebrating 50 years of the iconic Anglo-American sports car, will be a highlight of the Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival.
   ‘We’re aiming to have at least one example of every significant variant on display, starting with the Ace on which the Cobra was based, right up to the very latest machine’, says Steve Gray of Brooklands Motor Works, which is organising the display on behalf of the Museum.  Also on show throughout the Double Twelve weekend in the original Members’ Restaurant at the top of the Brooklands Test Hill will be some of the AC Cars racing trophies, medals and other artefacts associated with the marque, including items from Le Mans 1963, when AC Cars entered with Sir Stirling Moss as Team Manager.

Visitors will be invited to ascend the Hill and see inside the recently restored Restaurant Building where the Brooklands Motor Company will be unveiling the first 50th Anniversary aluminium Cobra built by AC Cars.  Additionally some of the best surviving Cobras will be seen as entries in the Spirit of Brooklands: Post-war Sports and Touring Class of the Driving Concours as part of the competition throughout the weekend, and in a parade on the Sunday of the event on the Mercedes-Benz World circuit.

On the Sunday afternoon, spectators lining both sides of the Hill for the Test Hill Challenge (a series of competitions and demonstrations featuring everything from C5s and children’s races to Bentleys and MGs ascending (and descending) the famous Hill) will see even more Cobras in action.  To emphasise its involvement with the Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival and its increasing presence on the Museum site, Brooklands Motor Works will be the official Test Hill sponsor for the weekend.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/double12/news-detail/AC-Cobras

Excerpts of the preview event are on 'You Tube'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorWRXCxUaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf11oJE9P3w

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 23:38:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

Further information on this event is on the AC Heritage Website:

AC Heritage are opening the Motorworks with displays on the site, original Thames Ditton factory tooling and Brooklands Racing Trophies. The factory 'bibles', cars built at Brooklands will be on display. A special Autokraft era display of the MK1V, the latest in AC factory production and an all Cobra Scalextric race! The  AC Heritage factory prototype cars.

http://www.accars.co.uk/

If I was not already booked for the Pageant Of Power, I would be there.

And from the Brooklands Museum Site:

A spectacular display of AC Cobras, celebrating 50 years of the iconic Anglo-American sports car, will be a highlight of the Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival.
   ‘We’re aiming to have at least one example of every significant variant on display, starting with the Ace on which the Cobra was based, right up to the very latest machine’, says Steve Gray of Brooklands Motor Works, which is organising the display on behalf of the Museum.  Also on show throughout the Double Twelve weekend in the original Members’ Restaurant at the top of the Brooklands Test Hill will be some of the AC Cars racing trophies, medals and other artefacts associated with the marque, including items from Le Mans 1963, when AC Cars entered with Sir Stirling Moss as Team Manager.

Visitors will be invited to ascend the Hill and see inside the recently restored Restaurant Building where the Brooklands Motor Company will be unveiling the first 50th Anniversary aluminium Cobra built by AC Cars.  Additionally some of the best surviving Cobras will be seen as entries in the Spirit of Brooklands: Post-war Sports and Touring Class of the Driving Concours as part of the competition throughout the weekend, and in a parade on the Sunday of the event on the Mercedes-Benz World circuit.

On the Sunday afternoon, spectators lining both sides of the Hill for the Test Hill Challenge (a series of competitions and demonstrations featuring everything from C5s and children’s races to Bentleys and MGs ascending (and descending) the famous Hill) will see even more Cobras in action.  To emphasise its involvement with the Brooklands Double Twelve Motorsport Festival and its increasing presence on the Museum site, Brooklands Motor Works will be the official Test Hill sponsor for the weekend.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/double12/news-detail/AC-Cobras

Excerpts of the preview event are on 'You Tube'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorWRXCxUaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf11oJE9P3w

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 18:50:56 »
There's another link to the event here:
   http://www.classicandsportscar.com/

It's video of the recent 12 X 12 Press Day on Test Hill.
   John.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 19:38:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

There's another link to the event here:
   http://www.classicandsportscar.com/

It's video of the recent 12 X 12 Press Day on Test Hill.
   John.

A very sedate event interrupted by a hooligan in a black Cobra [:D]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:22:40 »
Who are you calling a hooligan ? I’m just not very good at hill starts that’s all[:D]

BTW - the 1911 GP car was anything but sedate, it just sounded relaxed because it did everything on tick-over.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 14:12:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra: Who are you calling a hooligan ? I’m just not very good at hill starts that’s all[:D]
Having eaten your dust on a couple of occasions, I have to say you are a very poor learner! [;)]Unless of course, your mentor is Chris Williams, who pilots the Napier & Packard Bentleys with equal zeal! [8D]
   Check out the Daytona Coupé that lays 11`s ALL the way to the top of the hill though. [:0]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 15:17:51 »
Hi Nik,,
   The interesting thing about that Daytona is the owner/driver is a (young) district nurse from Bristol and she had planned to buy new rears anyway so was just having fun. When talking with her at the event the thing that really surprised me is she starts each run in second gear because she says “otherwise I get too much wheelspin” [:0]!
   Cheers - John.

Chafford

• View Profile

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 23:07:13 »
You should see Nadine launch her Dodge Viper off the line!! Those nurses....

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 00:08:58 »
There's got to be something in here about the NHS somewhere....

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 20:46:10 »
The Brooklands Double Twelve 16th – 17th June.

Right, the event is getting close and I would like to get an idea of how many members are interested in attending (with their cars), and supporting the ACOC display. This will be the first time the club has displayed at the event and I think it will also be the first time we’ve displayed at a multi club event in a long time.
   We will have space for between 5 and 10 cars and our area will be next to Concorde. You don’t have to commit to both days, you can choose which day you want, please just don’t all choose the same day.
   Participation get the driver and one passenger into the event for free and if you’ve not been to the X12 before, it’s a VSCC event and Concours d’Elegance plus you get access to all the usual museum exhibits and buildings.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/double12/

The orgainsers are aware it’s the Cobra’s 50th and  would like a few as part of the display, but they are very keen to have a good representation of as many other AC models as possible.

Please let me know if you are keen, interested or a maybe as it will help greatly to put the team sheet together.
   john@moonlightmedia.co.uk 0207 250 4770

Thanks –John.

Nev

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 10:17:40 »
I would be interested in attending, and could put the Brooklands on the stand?