Author Topic: AC Greyhound mascot?  (Read 6458 times)

acmathom

• View Profile
AC Greyhound mascot?
« on: February 05, 2012, 20:21:54 »
Hello,

is there any advice where to get a AC Greyhound mascot for the radiator? I remember that a company called Louis LeJeune used to sell them, but their website and service seems not to be available anymore...

Thanks and regards,
   Jurgen

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 20:38:29 »
' www.louislejeune.com ' Have tried it & gone onto Mascots & found AC Greyhound OK.

Robin

ACOCArch

• View Profile
AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:57:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by acmathom

Hello,

..... is there any advice where to get a AC Greyhound mascot for the radiator?

The story behind the Greyhound mascot on AC cars probably goes back into the 1920s, and a number of subtly different patterns were used in the 1930s.
   There is a short authoratative account in Rinsey Mills' book 'AC Six-Cylinder Sports Cars'. This account includes some analysis of the various markings on the original mascots, and clues about the cars to which they were fitted - or not so.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:13 »
This is the one mentioned on the Lejeune website:

No mention of price, but described as: "6" length. AE Lejeune supplied AC Motors from 1929 and subsequently by Louis Lejeune up to around 1939. This version is the Louis Lejeune model and has 'Greyhound of the Road' marked on the base."

I did see one for sale at last years` NEC CLassic, I think for around £50, but that`s not much help now I`m afraid!

acmathom

• View Profile
AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 21:04:54 »
Thanks all of you! I have contacted Louis Lejeune. Good to know that the mascots are still be made!
   Regards,
   Jurgen

Old Crock

• View Profile
AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 21:45:46 »
There is a 'Greyhound of the Road' mascot for sale on Ebay with starting bid of £165 (I don't know how this compares to the Louis Lejeune new price, as it's not priced on their website).

Also, I'm unsure of provenance as the seller says there's no other markings on it and there are many repro mascots coming from Eastern Europe, so caveat emptor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-GREYHOUND-MASCOT-/330744125574?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item4d01e2d886

ted

• View Profile
Re: AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 15:46:45 »
Reviving this old thread rather than starting a new one.

For those interested, there is an AC Greyhound of the Road mascot currently in the H&H online auction.

You can find it here: https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/120/lot/44391/?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F120%2F%3Fpage%3D2%26view%3Dgrid

You can sign up and bid online until 21st April 2019

galfredus

• View Profile
Re: AC Greyhound mascot?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 13:02:35 »
I'm further reviving this topic (do tell me to be quiet, but now rather excited with a car in my garage!).  I procured a greyhound mascot from Lejeune and, being based nearby, went to pick it up from the proprietor.  Very interesting chap and story of the firm, and he had an old ledger, which shows that AC bought their first mascots from Lejeune in June and July 1929 (see photo attached).  He couldn't say for sure that it was the greyhound, but I've bought one anyway.  It looks like a sample may have been purchased in June and a bigger order in July.  Doesn't sound like much money though, even taking inflation into account.  I thought interesting nonetheless.