Author Topic: Mk IV boot lid emblem  (Read 8722 times)

302EFI

• View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 18:20:25 »
All:
   Just to inform you and to round this off:
   Steve Gray proved to be very willing to help. He still has a couple of original Mk IV badges in his stock. I could get one for GBP 22 + postage. However, they are 'slightly imperfect' in terms of chrome as they have been stored fo 20 years. Coincidentally, Steve is scheduled to meet with Juergen Mohr next week. He offered on that occasion to check whether the (reproduced) Mohr Mk VI badges are the same as the original Mk IV ones. If they do, I could get one supplied out of Juergen Mohr's stock. Steve himself plans to have Mk IV badges reproduced, so, as a third option, I could get one of those, I am not sure about the timing of this reproduction exercise, though. I will now await the outcome of Steve's meeting with Mr. Mohr next week.
   Juergen

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 09:06:28 »
There is a fair potential market for these badges as they were also used on the Frua and the 3000ME.

ME113

• View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:24:57 »
Thought they looked like 3000ME wheel centre and door pillar badges!

shep

• View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 15:18:41 »
Yes the smaller badges were the same as used on 3000ME wheel centres and door frames, but the larger 3 inch ones are the bare AC without the outer ring. I think Europa had some Aluminium ones made, but it sounds like Steve Gray holds the best answer. We have a Hurco CNC milling Machine at work which could make them from solid brass. They could be polished and chrome plated, but the cost would be more than Steve or AC.Thanks Juergen for a really interesting subject. It shows the reason why we have a forum, and how fast information can be found from other enthusiasts.

302EFI

• View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 16:37:53 »
I was amazed at the many quick and helpful responses. Again thanks to everybody.
   Juergen

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 20:02:58 »
The 3" ones made by or for AC were a pressing which gave a 3D effect and had high quality chrome plate.  The aftermarket ones available today (from Europa) are a flat plate and the chrome is pretty nasty and starts to bubble rapidly.

Steve Gray is considering re-manufacturing the correct original type so if you are interested, do get touch with him and let him know there is some demand out there.

Thunderbold

• View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 20:35:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

The 3" ones made by or for AC were a pressing which gave a 3D effect and had high quality chrome plate.  The aftermarket ones available today (from Europa) are a flat plate and the chrome is pretty nasty and starts to bubble rapidly.

Steve Gray is considering re-manufacturing the correct original type so if you are interested, do get touch with him and let him know there is some demand out there.

Hello, I am owner of AK 1240 and I am looking precisely for the same AC badge. I hope someone has identified a source for it in the meantime. Kind regards from Farnkurt Germany, Hermann

302EFI

• View Profile
Mk IV boot lid emblem
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 12:56:18 »
Hermann:
   Please see my above post of Jan. 30 regarding options of obtaining emblems via Steve Gray of AC Heritage. Steve promised to get an emblem out of Juergen Mohr's stock sent to me (I have not received it yet) but indicated that this would be a one-off exercise as Juergen Mohr does actually not have emblems to spare. As for the other two options I suggest that you contact Steve directly: steve@brooklandsmotorcompany.co.uk.
   Juergen