Author Topic: Mk IV antisway bar mounting  (Read 11231 times)

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Mk IV antisway bar mounting
« on: January 25, 2012, 21:00:10 »
Hi folks,
   Can anybody supply photos of the mounting of antisway bars:

- as factory fitted on Mk IV Lightweights?
   and/or
   - as fitted on Redline's kit?

Thanks in advance.

Constant
   cchw.consulting@pt.lu

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:36:11 »
I'm interested in answers, too ... thanks !

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 18:49:36 »
I'd be keen to see some images of how they are mounted also, if anyone can help.
   Regards

Gary

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 22:06:46 »
I found this on the internet a while ago.

I was supplied a set of anti-roll bars from AC Cars a few years ago. I am only now at the stage of fitting them. I will post a few images along the way.

Gary

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:05:55 »
The pic shows the front part of the Redline kit. This helps!! Thanks Gary.

SB7015

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 23:19:15 »
May I suggest you contact Alec or Alan at Thunder Road Speed Shop 01483 763399 or see their website http://thunderroadspeedshop.co.uk/index.html
   Regards
   Malcolm

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 21:14:47 »
I am in the process of fitting the front and rear anti roll bars to my car. Some of you may know that my car was made by AC Cars in 2001 however it was never completed before AC folded. My car is chassis number: ACSB7020- (a Superblower)

I have over the last few years been steadily completing the build with the expert assistance of Steve Gray from Brooklands Motor Company and help and advise from members of this forum. The car is really coming on now and I hope it may be finished next year!

Below I will detail the parts and hopefully show the fitment of the anti roll bars.

I will start with the front set-up;
   The first image shows the front off-side suspension, you may be able to see the offside chassis mount for the front anto roll bar. There is a second identical attachment on the nearside. The second image is a more close up picture.

The following image shows the front anti roll bar and fixings;

This next image shows a closer view of the eye end joints, I obtained these parts from Autosport Bearings here in the UK and I may have the part numbers if anyone needs them. One eye end fits into the end of the anti roll bar with a 7/16 UNF bolt (if memory serves me right), the other end fixes onto a mounting point on the lower wish bone (A arm)

The next image shows the chassis mounting blocks. They are two piece items, one side has a grease nipple. They are attached to the chassis with 3/8 UNF x 2 1/2 inch bolts.

Tomorrow I hope to fit this to the car so will post further images if all goes well.

The rear bar set-up I similar to the front.
   The image below shows the bar.The bar is narrower than the front one;

It is attached to the chassis with two brackets (Ford items- I can supply the part numbers if required. The next images shows the brackets. I have yet to buy the bushes but they won't be a problem to source;

The next image shows the end fitting, they are very similar to the front but the attachment bolts are smaller (i think 3/8 UNF of 5/16 UNF, but would have to check for you if required)

I will attach this to the car once I have the bushes and will post images of it installed.

The anti roll bars themselves came from John Owen from AC Cars, which I bought off him a few years ago. I had them powder coated this last few days as they were a bit tatty. All the other components are from Autosport Bearings.

Hope this has been of some help.

Gary

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 23:46:49 »
Hi,following on with this thread which was started in ealy 2012, has anyone got any images of the rear anti-roll bar fitted to the Superblowers? I,m struggling to identify where the bar attaches to which rear suspension component. I have offered up the rear bar on my car and it seems to locate across the rear trailing arm and very close to it. I have seen the fitment of the bar on a lightweight and it attaches to one of the trailing arm attachment bolts, but this doesn't seem to be possible with the location and mounting point on the Superblower. I'd be very greatful if anyone could advise.
   Many thanks
   Gary

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 23:28:27 »
Hi Gary, here is some detail on the Redline kit that I now have had finally installed on my MkIV.

The short eye end rods link the antiroll bar to the suspension in the following way:

- the upper end attaches to the front of the main bolt securing the shock absorber at its lower end. Off record, the lower suspension part is formed by an inverse triangle attached to the chassis by a pivot point at the end of the main rail and by the trailing arm. The shock attaches by means of a main bolt to the rear of this triangle at its outer but not far end, a couple of cms inside from the pivot axis holding the upright's lower end. This main bolt is to be replaced by one that is drilled coaxially by creating a female path at its very end (where the outer male path is; so you have the bolt end formed by a cavity with female path with a male path on the outside). This is the forward pointing end of the bolt as it passes through the triangle's rear square tube, into which now coaxially the small bolt drives for securing the eye end. Now the small eye end rod passes down through the interior of the lower triangle.
   - the lower end of the eye end rod attaches to the antiroll bar end (a couple of cms further rearwards than the attachment of the trailing arm) by means of a bolt that drives coaxially into the rollbar end (drilled with a female path).

Hope this is clear, otherwise I will have to take a picture or two over the coming w/e.

I made a little drawing [:)]

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 17:18:09 »
When Big Al (now Thunder Road) was with us at Uniclip Automotive, we spent a lot of time developing the suspension and sway bar (roll bar) kits. He knows better than any what works. We started with Aluminium blocks, and used collared bronze bush bearings, but found some Poly Urethane blocks which were even better, and didn't need bearings. To prevent lateral movement we welded half washers to the roll bars, but a couple of worm drive clips and washers will also work. Get drifting!

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 17:27:33 »
Hi Constant.

Fantastic information!! Thank you.

I've been scratching my head trying to weigh up where the attachment was for the other end of the bearing eye. I already have the other end secured in the anti roll bar but couldn't figure this bit out. It's all clear now! Basically I have to tap a thread in the end of the lower shock absorber mounting bolt. Easy! If memory serves me right the 'eye end' bolt is 3/8 of an inch but will double check.
   I will post an image of the completed job in due course.
   Thanks once again.
   Kind regards
   Gary

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 22:01:03 »
you got it, Gary!

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 16:16:44 »
Hi Gary,

All your pictures from your Photobucket Album are deleted ... Do not know if it is intentional, but if not, could you please restore them ? Thanks [;)] !

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 20:57:25 »
guess this is due to Photobucket.. maybe in relation to the upgrade of their site.. I have same trouble with the drawing I added at my post of 8 January....

it is now fixed again

French Frie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 21:27:06 »
Thanks, Constant... What is your feedback about the rear ARB ? I fitted one (19mm), custom made, at the front, and appreciate the stiffer front end when cornering, but now I'm thinking about fiiting also one to the rear (16mm, as I don't want too much oversteer), as I felt the rear was a bit loose on hard cornering ...

Could post some pics of your ARB installed ? Thanks !