Author Topic: How many 428 Frua left?  (Read 60812 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2008, 16:06:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

Great ! Is this a recent pic ? I'd like to get this onto the AC 428 Register as well, so any chance of finding out the original CF(X) number ?

Thanks

5 ALD is (was?) CF 68, which I thought we`d previously discussed, but a quick flick through where I thought it was revealed nothing!
   [:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2008, 18:25:16 »
Thanks Nick [8D] Any history available of the original car ?

To be honest I've still no idea how many Cobra conversions exist overall ! From memory there's CFX 35 (the French one) and now CF68 which still leaves according to Trevor's quote above three more and even then he wasn't sure. Any ideas ?

Hopefully the new Register will reveal all....

TLegate

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2008, 18:37:57 »
I was about to post and say it was CF68 and found m'learned colleague had beaten me to it. Just checked this in the 428 registry in this webbysite and I note that the registration number, 5ALD, has missed its alloted box and been entered against CF69, which I know is the Tony Valenti hot-rod (hi Tony) so maybe some responsible official will read these pearls of wisdom and make the necessary correction?

428s to 'Cobra', that I'm aware of: CFs 23, 35, 39, 47 plus 68, of course. Methinks one or two others have been cut n shut but I can't quote numbers.

Classicus

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2008, 19:05:58 »
Much obliged thank you Trevor, updating the interim 428 Register soon.

Paul
   Passing thought - an AC 428 Mk II built by Brooklands and all that that might bring !! [:p]

aaron

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2008, 20:41:18 »
quote:

Great ! Is this a recent pic ? I'd like to get this onto the AC 428 Register as well, so any chance of finding out the original CF(X) number ?

Thanks

I took this photo at Silverstone in 2006,

And here is the car with the reg No 4 ALD

Classicus

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2008, 21:42:46 »
Fantastic stuff and thank you !!

But what on earth could have happened for such a great car and in such beautiful condition to finish up as yet another Cobra replica ? An accident/ rust....? Any idea ? Also any idea when and where this character-oozing gorgeous pic was taken ? Or any other details.... ?

And if you have any more great 428 pics like the above plus any history for the interim Register it would be much appreciated !

Many thanks ! [^]  [^] [^]  [^]

Paul

aaron

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2008, 23:42:50 »

Fantastic stuff and thank you !!

But what on earth could have happened for such a great car and in such beautiful condition to finish up as yet another Cobra replica ? An accident/ rust....? Any idea ? Also any idea when and where this character-oozing gorgeous pic was taken ? Or any other details.... ?

And if you have any more great 428 pics like the above plus any history for the interim Register it would be much appreciated !

Many thanks ! [^]  [^] [^]  [^]

Paul
   I do have some more photo`s of the AC 428`s,email me at daytonacobra@hotmail.com

And I will send you some,I do not know any of the history of the cars or serial No`s. I have just been taking photo`s of them as and when I see them over the years.

Aaron[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2008, 07:15:03 »
quote:

...But what on earth could have happened for such a great car and in such beautiful condition to finish up as yet another Cobra replica ? ...Paul

I`m pretty sure 4 ALD is still very much the Frua, 5 ALD was 'converted' some time in the 80`s by Emilio Garcia, if memory serves.

TLegate

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2008, 10:16:43 »
Quite so young Nikolas, no reason to assume that 4ALD and 5ALD are one and the same. I can only surmise that the dreaded tin-rot had done its stuff by the 1980s and Emilio got to work, along with the Ferrari Daytonas he converted to soft tops, plus the RR Silver Clouds etc etc. I note that in this months issue of Classic Cars, there is a small article about the 428, raising the Italian ferrous oxide problem that accounted for many of the past problems.

I'm quite sure a number of ACOC members reading this can provide many more details concerning 5 ALD, including the owner....??

nikbj68

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2008, 17:24:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

...I'm quite sure a number of ACOC members reading this can provide many more details concerning 5 ALD, including the owner....??

...Or by looking at the Cobra 'Replica Coilspring Cars' register?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2008, 18:32:43 »
It is interesting to note that at least on my car, the British made parts of the chassis were like new, and that all the Italian made parts such as floors, outriggers and sills were corroded (The car came from Belgium). I was lucky enough to find somebody with great skills in metal smithing who was able to recreate parts from sheet metal and tubing. Otherwise this car might have ended up as a Cobra Replica as well. The man worked for 3 months non-stop just to fix the corrosion problems which had been covered up with Bondo, riveted aluminum, wire mesh and fiberglass by whatever shop in england. I had a special deal with him which made the proposition a financially viable one. Today the bottom looks and is factory new. I know that out here no body shop would have taken such a job. Unless you are dealing with a very valuable auto like a California Spyder or a Nart Cabriolet worth a large amount of money, nobody will do it! it just is not worth it! Such a restoration will cost probably twice what the cars is worth. I got lucky there!

Emmanuel [:)]

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2008, 18:54:24 »
The problem with the bodywork which i believe was made in Italy was at that period steel was supplied from Russia on a reciprical barter deal with Fiat, that is why most Italian cars of that period corroded due to poor quality steel also poor paintwork.

Robin

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2008, 20:47:00 »
It's not only Italian cars, Yes these were particularly bad, but so were French cars. Also, I have owned a few E-types and I remember a particular one, a 1971 series 2 roadsters on which I replaced the floors, upon pulling the carpets, I realized that the sills and the floors were never painted, just primed. Primers of that era were porous and not made to be left raw. Even Mercedes which are probably the best built cars of that era have bad corrosion problems. To my knowledge, Porsche is the first manufacturer who was concerned about this matter and began offering galvanized floors and sills in the early 70's and switched to fully galvanized bodies in 1976.

Emmanuel[:)]

aaron

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2008, 22:50:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by aaron

Thanks

When I posted the photo of 4 ALD I was not stating that it was the same car as 5 ALD,I took the photo of 5 ALD in 2006 at Silverstone......[:)]

I was just posting a photo of the car with the preceeding reg No.....[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2008, 13:28:46 »
As more and more of these cars are restored and cared for, prices will increase to a level which make the whole Cobra replica scheme not worth it. With companies like Kirkham making near perfect replicas, it's not worth it to trash a 428 anymore.
   The last issue at least over here in California is registration! It's more and more difficult to register and license a newly built custom vehicle, it's a lot easier to take the registration from an existing old car, just transfer the chassis plate, "et voila"! Cheap registration fees and no smog!

Emmanuel