Author Topic: How many 428 Frua left?  (Read 60802 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2007, 18:32:44 »
Hello guys' nice cars, it's great to see them coming out of the woodwork! I have been away and I have not been able to do much to mine for a while. I had to remove the gas tank and have it redone. Now I have to put it back in the car which I plan to do this weekend as well as taking some pictures of the front emblem for a guy in this forum. Would anybody have a photo of the fuel filler both outside and in the boot? There are two little pipes which have been blocked off at one point! I suspect it is why the pump nozzle always backs up when I fill the tank. If anyone could shown some photos of the breather system I would appreciate! Thanks Emmanuel

runt

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2007, 17:11:56 »
Hi Mr Johnson, beautiful cars,that's a 'perfect stable' indeed,another thing that strikes me is the nice 'balanced' appearance of the Frua, as a fastback gorgeous from ANY angle,yet the drophead although quite long is also stunningly pretty, bearing in mind Chuck's advice re corrosion prevention,great to find that so many are still alive and well.Had the prototype covered many miles during its time at AC's, presuming there was a lengthy design programme?

Paul/runt.[:)]

PJohnson

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2007, 21:39:30 »
Hi Paul/runt

I think the mileage on the prototype is still only about 450. Barely run in. Not sure why my father never runs it. I think he prefers the fastback. I've always preferred the look of the fastback.

As for the lengthy design process I'm not sure if there was one. There was certainly a long build process. Started in the 70's and not completed till 1982. There was very little testing done. Aside from the bodywork the car isn't very different from the conventional convertible.

I've noticed many people on this forum talking about heating problems with the cabin being uncomfortably warm. We have never had any problems like that but we have swapped all the radiators for aluminum ones and installed bigger more powerful fans next the rads. How many other people have changed rads?

They are a great car for warming up a cold garage in the winter though.

Has any one been keeping score of how many Frua are still "alive"?

runt

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2007, 22:34:44 »
I was wondering that myself, perhaps the Owners club have a register and perhaps some who have responded on here can be added;I'm a complete newcomer to these forums.
   The prototype..it does look new in that photo, still surprised by the mileage though!
   The fastback being the last built, would that be 1973?
   Its always amazed me how two otherwise identical models off a 'line' can run so differently with 'stat set at different temp. opening, I noticed this with two old XJ Jaguars I had; one would warm the garage nicely as you say!
   Good to learn that quality rad and fans can keep the beast cooler anyway.

Paul/runt.[:)]

terry3000me

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2007, 09:42:24 »
Paul, in answer to your question about the registar of owners, it's available to members of the ACOC to view on this web site. So why not join the club? It well worth the small outlay.

Terry

runt

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2007, 19:11:42 »
I'd love to Terry; trouble is, I can't afford a Frua @ the moment to partner my Cobra 'replica' which I love,so as you see, I don't actually own an AC, just a lifelong fascination with the marque.

Paul.[:I]

nikbj68

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2007, 21:04:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by terry3000ME...So why not joing the club?...

quote:
Originally posted by runt...I don't actually own an AC, just a lifelong fascination with the marque.Paul.[:I]

In the 'Good old Days' there used to be an 'associate membership' for us plebs what like what we can`t (or don`t[;)]) have....BUT, I`m sure that a cheque for £32.50 wouldn`t be returned by Mr.Morpeth should the "year...model...chassis no..." sections remain blank on your Membership Form [:D]

runt

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2007, 21:18:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by terry3000ME...So why not joing the club?...

quote:
Originally posted by runt...I don't actually own an AC, just a lifelong fascination with the marque.Paul.[:I]

In the 'Good old Days' there used to be an 'associate membership' for us plebs what like what we can`t (or don`t[;)]) have....BUT, I`m sure that a cheque for £32.50 wouldn`t be returned by Mr.Morpeth should the "year...model...chassis no..." sections remain blank on your Membership Form [:D]

Cheers Nik!

Paul.[:)]

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2007, 09:25:55 »
You don't have to be an owner to join the ACOC - everyone is welcomed who has an interest in ACs of all or any periods.  The biggest single cost to the club is the production of ACtion, which all members receive, hence the flat membership rate.

Classicus

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2007, 19:03:36 »
Just found these few sold pics of a nice maroon coloured fastback – reg. no. very hard to make out possibly JP- 75- H/K……? They say it's a 1969 car but the dash is the later type, so puzzling.

I haven't seen it before so ring a bell anyone ? [:)]

http://www.pioneer-automobiles.co.uk/photo%20library%20new%20a-e.html#a
   (Plus a couple of 2 litres - 1936 and 1952)

cmaddox3

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2007, 19:35:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

Just found these few sold pics of a nice maroon coloured fastback – reg. no. very hard to make out possibly JP- 75- H/K……? They say it's a 1969 car but the dash is the later type, so puzzling.

I haven't seen it before so ring a bell anyone ? [:)]

http://www.pioneer-automobiles.co.uk/photo%20library%20new%20a-e.html#a
   (Plus a couple of 2 litres - 1936 and 1952)

I agree with you on the dash, Cass. It also has the AC logos's behind the fuel fills which aren't on CF 7.   It's definately of later production.  CF 7 was complete just prior to Christmas 1967 for point of reference on it's year of production.

Cheers!

--  Chuck

runt

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2007, 20:25:10 »
Cass, I remember checking this out a while ago; can't remember what the provisional price tag was though.. color suits the car, no doubt, think it had a claimed 40k miles up.

Paul.[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2007, 12:34:24 »
Hi Paul/ Chuck [:)]

Be really nice if we knew the reg. no. chassis no. price sold etc. as apart from the Pietro Frua site, which is all convertibles bar one or two, unfortunately there's still no on-line picture source of all the fastbacks yet. Hmmm....there must be quite a few fastback pics on here by now too....

Howzabout sifting through all the relevant posts and bringing them all, plus as much background info as possible, into just the one specific sub-forum ? Hopefully the English might just be a little more recognisable too ? Or as dear old posh Terry Thomas used to lisp "....an absolute sha'r" !

Edit: Come to that owners could perhaps eventually post their own pics and create their own weblogs ?

aaron

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2008, 11:07:27 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

I know that five 428s have definately been 'converted' and I suspect it may be a higher figure than that. I would have thought that Andy S should know? No? There was an article about the process in an issue of ACtion a few years back. I do have some photos of one such car, now registered 5ALD if I recall. It's a short-nosed AC289 clone and looks good with green paintwork. I took some photos of it at one of the ACOC Sprints at Gooders not so long ago. I shall trawl my archives.....

The 428 was Derek Hurlock's favoured mode of transport and who could blame him?

Classicus

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2008, 13:18:27 »
Great ! Is this a recent pic ? I'd like to get this onto the AC 428 Register as well, so any chance of finding out the original CF(X) number ?

Thanks