Author Topic: What no brakes!!  (Read 13000 times)

cliffordl

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« on: October 19, 2007, 18:19:01 »
Having last used CF25 for a 40 mile run a few weeks ago I started up last Sunday only to feel the brake pedal drop to the floor.

I know little about brakes, the wingside reservoir looked as good as empty. Am I to assume master cylinder failure? - oddly there is no sign of any leakage.

All and any advice would be more than welcome.

Cliff.

cmaddox3

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:32:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by cliffordl

Having last used CF25 for a 40 mile run a few weeks ago I started up last Sunday only to feel the brake pedal drop to the floor.

I know little about brakes, the wingside reservoir looked as good as empty. Am I to assume master cylinder failure? - oddly there is no sign of any leakage.

All and any advice would be more than welcome.

Cliff.

Well, it could be a leak anywhere along one of the brake lines, or in the caliper's themselves as well.  I take it you didn't feel any pressure drop whilst bombing about a few weeks ago?

Did you notice any puddles on the floor under CF 25?

If you can gently move '25 so you can examine the floor underneath her, you might find puddles which may lead you to the specific component which is causing grief.  You might wish to mark with chalk or crayon where the tyres are sitting so you have a point of reference.

Just some random thoughts...

--  Chuck

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:11:12 »
If you can get a cap to fit the master cylinder, try an Easibleed kit from Halfords (or Gunsons).  This will let you pressure up the system from your spare tyre and the location of any leaks should become clear.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 20:10:00 »
All brake parts are easy to source (Girling), still available and used on most British and Italian exotic of the 60s'. Don't forget you have 4 brake circuits: 2 master cylinders going to 2 brakeboosters/Slave-cylinders/Master Cylinders up in front of the radiator and 2 secondary circuits going to the front and rear calipers. Similar to the old 60's lambos except these cars had the boosters in the trunk.

Emmanuel

Damien

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 18:17:42 »
I m still in the process of restoring my CF9.  With all the power of the engine, the original brakes seem quite 'light'.  Can anybody tell me whether they can cope with the additional power of a 427 engine, and, if not, how I can upgrade them.

Damien

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 00:49:27 »
You say the reservoir but there are two of them above the brake pedal. If only one is empty one of the systems, front or rear, should still work but with an increased pedal travel via the stop on the balance bar between the two master cylinders. Does the pedal really go to the floor? If one reservoir is empty look for evidence of fluid leaks as above (remove the cover over the pedal box to see master cylinder leakage). Also bear in mind that a servo internal leakage can allow fluid to be sucked into the engine and burnt, indicated by white exhaust smoke on the overrun which you may not have noticed on your previous driving.
   Michael Trotter

Emmanueld

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 17:51:10 »
It is likely that the system has been tempered with and that the double front and rear circuits were eliminated. You should have two master cylinders under the hood above the pedals, (connected to the brake pedal with a balance bar) with two lines going to two slave cylinders/boosters/master cylinders combination in front of the radiator. each booster controls respectively front and rear calipers. In theory, it is unlikely you will loose both front and rear brakes at the same time.

Emmanuel

cliffordl

• View Profile
What no brakes!!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 17:13:41 »
Looking for something else I came across this old thread and thought I,d update it. Just for the record the fluid was being sucked back into the ancient servo. When removed both servos were sloshing with fluid. Past Parts provided replacements and problem solved.