Author Topic: How many 428 Frua left?  (Read 59897 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« on: January 06, 2007, 19:36:04 »
Hello,

I am wondering, does anyone know how may AC Frua are left? We know AC built 29 convertibles, 51 coupes and 3 special bodied cars. Some rotted away, some were converted into Cobras, some perished in road accident or went to the wreckers yard. Anyones guess? Maybe If you guys list your serial numbers we can get an idea of how many and where they are!!

Los Angeles, CA CFX54 BRG roadster! [:)]

Emmanuel

fastdriver

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 15:12:39 »
What a superb convertible

nikbj68

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 15:23:35 »
Nice neighbourhood, too!

jbottini

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 19:52:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Nice neighbourhood, too!

Amazing what could be done with a 427 frame, a 428 Ford powerplant and sheet metal. A gentlemans Cobra saloon (not sure if this is the right term for a convertable.

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 14:57:59 »
Emmanuel

What a magnificent car!  If you need info on the 428 you might get in touch with this clubs 428 registrar - Andy Shepherd

M-A
   CRS #22

Mark IV

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 15:08:29 »
A right fine "gentlemans express"

Rick

TLegate

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:07:56 »
I think a gent like me should own one, so I'm starting a collection. Send your used $ and £ to........

Mark IV

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 12:07:12 »
Trevor,

Charity starts at home...MY HOUSE!![:D]

I had the pleasure of having a 428 automatic coupe (CA68 I think) a RHD car with some hard miles on it for mechanical work a few years back. Fun to drive, a bit dicey to work on, as for example the brake boosters required the lower front body under the bumper to be "tweaked" to allow them to come out. It was also painfully obvious that the "tin-worm" had fed on this car but still in all I would love one. A great, powerful way to eat up miles at a right good pace.
   Rick

Johan

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 22:09:41 »
Is that an Autocraft MK V ? It looks GREAT !

TLegate

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 23:18:24 »
Yes, yes, it's a MkV (sigh) But seriously, where does all this 'Auto(C)raft' stuff come from......?

I was about to comment on the fact that, in the current issue of C&SC, page 178, there is a remarkable comment from a dealer (Hurst Park) who has a 428 for sale. He has had five calls from people wanting to convert it into a Cobra..!! Weird. It would almost be cheaper to buy a proper Cobra, rather than end up with a non-Cobra Cobra. Who are these people?

Johan

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 00:38:04 »
Trevor, how much were they asking for it ?
   Nice looking car.

Thank you for pointing out the "K" in Autokraft.

tim isles

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 09:12:18 »
Emmanuel,

Someone has already pointed you in the direction of Andy Shepherd. He runs the register and will be able to give you a good steer. From memory survival rate is pretty good - in one form or another.

But a small aside on the oft published production figures, for I believe there to have been 31 convertibles and 50 fastbacks produced, not the 29/51 quoted by all.

Why? In the late 70s I ran CF17, a manual convertible and CF 19, an auto fastback. There wasn't much written about the 428 then so I did a bit of my own research and ran my own register. First point of call was the factory. They told me 29/51. I still have the letter, and so perhaps I am responsible for these figures being set down in stone.

However, in corrspondence with other owners whenever I heard of a car I learnt that one of the cars ACs listed as a fastback was in fact a convertible. This was a CFX car exported to the USA. So 30/50.

The 31st convertible is CF 81. This was to be a 'mkll' version of the 428, identical in spec to the ones that went before, save for fold down headlights. The car lay in the factory unfinished for some years before being completed in the early/mid 80s. It still survives, and is not to be confused with the 4 seater prototype which was a totally different car. Hence 31/50.

Change your auto box for manual? I wouldn't bother personally. That 428 suits the auto box so well. My party trick with CF 17 (manual)was to start off in top gear, which is a measure of just how torquey the motor is. And the auto was just much nicer to drive.

Hope this might be of interest.

Tim.

Chafford

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 12:09:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

I was about to comment on the fact that, in the current issue of C&SC, page 178, there is a remarkable comment from a dealer (Hurst Park) who has a 428 for sale. He has had five calls from people wanting to convert it into a Cobra..!! Weird. It would almost be cheaper to buy a proper Cobra, rather than end up with a non-Cobra Cobra. Who are these people?

Probably reflects the rising value of the original 427 S/C. Lets hope this isn't a new trend for people who think they can make a fast buck.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 17:30:18 »
Unfortunately, I have heard that quite a few 428 were turned into Cobras. It makes it easier for Cobra registration here in the US. However, 428 prices are moving up, I think the main problem is that not enough cars were built, they rotted too easily and they required a bit of work to make them drivable (enjoyable). Coupes are still cheaper than Montervedis and Bizzarinis but they are actually much better automobiles! Made out of steel and with a race bread chassis. If anybody think that by using a 428 chassis his kit-car will be worth more, he is an idiot! buy a MKIV or a Kirkham for that!
   The main problem is that most people have never seen 428s' and when they see one they don't know what it is!
   I always heard the AC made 29 convertibles and 3 special bodied cars.

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
How many 428 Frua left?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 17:53:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by tim isles

Emmanuel,

Someone has already pointed you in the direction of Andy Shepherd. He runs the register and will be able to give you a good steer. From memory survival rate is pretty good - in one form or another.

But a small aside on the oft published production figures, for I believe there to have been 31 convertibles and 50 fastbacks produced, not the 29/51 quoted by all.

Why? In the late 70s I ran CF17, a manual convertible and CF 19, an auto fastback. There wasn't much written about the 428 then so I did a bit of my own research and ran my own register. First point of call was the factory. They told me 29/51. I still have the letter, and so perhaps I am responsible for these figures being set down in stone.

However, in corrspondence with other owners whenever I heard of a car I learnt that one of the cars ACs listed as a fastback was in fact a convertible. This was a CFX car exported to the USA. So 30/50.

The 31st convertible is CF 81. This was to be a 'mkll' version of the 428, identical in spec to the ones that went before, save for fold down headlights. The car lay in the factory unfinished for some years before being completed in the early/mid 80s. It still survives, and is not to be confused with the 4 seater prototype which was a totally different car. Hence 31/50.

Change your auto box for manual? I wouldn't bother personally. That 428 suits the auto box so well. My party trick with CF 17 (manual)was to start off in top gear, which is a measure of just how torquey the motor is. And the auto was just much nicer to drive.

Hope this might be of interest.

Tim.

Thanks for your comments.
   This is a car I drive on weekends, the motor is quite a bit more powerfull than when it was stock, the problem is that 3 gears are not enough, when launching from a stop the car stay in first way past the engine margin of safety, about 6000 rpm, the same thing happens when using the kickdown. I will save all the parts and pass them down to a future owner when the time comes. I actually like to change gears, it's more fun, also the car will be quite a bit faster as the converter waste quite a bit of power!

Emmanuel