Author Topic: Ace/Aceca over riders - later type/mk 2 type  (Read 21689 times)

tim isles

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 10:04:12 »
Barrie, Did you ever find out where/who made the very early over riders? From the pictures I have it seems the change over may have taken place around AE 89. I have pictures of AE 88 with the early type, and Hap Dressel's AE 90 at Sebring appears to have the later type. You can maybe add to this? Tim

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 23:15:44 »
Tim,
   Regrettably I have no further information on the early over rider. Quite frustrating. Possibly I could persuade myself that the photographs shew a very shallow cut out so that a close fit would be obtained with a blade bumper. Perhaps Thames Ditton had something in stores left over from the thirties era ? Of course the 2 litre saloon had blade bumpers, but I think the over riders are different, being the right shape although markedly flanged where they sit on the blade. Perhaps the supplier for the 2 litre made up a lighter version for the Ace ?
   Nothing but speculation I'm afraid. A sample or some close up pictures would help.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 23:24:42 »
Here are some better detail shots of AE65,  from the Lessiter archive:

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 00:45:51 »

<b>Barrie</b>.

The above photos of AE65 show the correct original early over riders and brackets as  worn by the earliest AC Ace and Aceca , great photos, as
        they show and confirm the correct rear lights, reflectors, fuel filler cap and budget boot lock as fitted at Thames Ditton during first few months
        of  manufacture.

If any one can confirm which other cars in period wore these over riders it would be appreciated to assist not only Barrie but a few
   other Custodians of early AC Ace.[;)]

Thank you Nik for posting the pictures and full credit to Marc Vogers who took the photos and  G Dutton the lucky custodian in NL of such an original
        AC Ace...[:p]
   <b>Keith</b>
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 15:58:12 by AC Ace Bristol »

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 16:42:44 »
Keith,
   Yes lovely pictures and certainly a fortunate owner. Pedants Corner, just in case someone uses this thread for reference: I wonder about the rear lights, which are maybe a later bayonet type L539 as opposed to the correct early L488 ? I could speculate about the boot lid budget lock escutcheon as well, but we digress. I hope some expert out there can identify the early over riders from these excellent pictures. This would put us a step closer.

tim isles

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 18:37:56 »
Barrie, I'm happy to join you in Pedants Corner on this car, AE 65, which I think is one of the most accurately preserved/restored early Aces I've seen. So many features to note - in addition to the original over riders with their special brackets, the 'Monza' fuel filler and the Lucas reflectors on the boot either side of the number plate, to name but two. The interior and under the bonnet are also areas where Thames Ditton originality is still very accurately reflected. You are of course correct in observing that the original (tiny) L488 rear lights have been replaced by red versions of the Lucas L539 - the modification made clearly to offer a little more illumination with safety in mind. At least the car has not been modified to fit the later rectangular L542 (used from 1955 to the end of 427 production), as has happened with many very early cars. The budget lock on the boot? Certainly still operated by the bonnet 'T' key at this stage in Ace production, but the tear shaped cover? You are right, probably not.

Whatever! None of which helps identify those early over riders. Surely they will have been used by other cars and not been manufactured specially by AC cars? Tim

minimans

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 21:15:18 »
Anybody have a part number for those small round reflector's? I have a couple of box's of what look to be the same reflector they are mounted grommet style.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:58 »
   NEWS

Due to demand I have had another batch of Ace & Aceca over rider brackets made and a separate batch of Ace / Aceca brackets which accommodate the twin bumper bars, all pre drilled, just require fettling prior to painting.. [;)]
   Same price....  £16.00 each or £60.00 for set of 4 plus p & p.

Keith ..[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 01:17:40 »
To save Keith a thousand words, check this out...

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 11:19:31 »
   Paul Anderson (UK) & Jodl Alfred (Austria).

To save both of you scrolling through dozens of threads, I have revitalised this thread..[;)]
   Both styles  of over rider bracket available, I  have had another batch of each manufactured,  Glad to supply and know they are being used, appreciated and protecting the vulnerable aluminium panels front and rear of AC Ace and Aceca's world wide..[:)]

Please note  New email address.

keith.lessiter@gmail.com

Cheers for Now

Keith

PaulAnderson

• Currently getting AE220 in fine order.
    • View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 21:03:23 »
Thanks Keith

Look forward to receiving them.

They look very well made in the pictures - can't wait!

Best wishes.

Paul.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2017, 18:26:59 »

Alfred and Paul

Thank you for your orders for 14 X  Over rider brackets.

Due to yet another enquiry this week, I'm Having an  additional batch made, all will be despatched Friday 27th /Saturday 28th January.[;)]

Cheers

Keith.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Re: Ace/Aceca over riders
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 09:02:30 »
I don't know whether it is good for something but here are some pictures.

This one shows my original Aceca (BE646) overrider in comparison to the cast version of Hawk cars.

In the meantime I bought new overriders from Small Ford Spare parts (https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/products/e493a-17996-b-over-rider-upright-pattern). They look a little bit different.

But the quality is fine.