Author Topic: Aceca: removing the footbox?  (Read 4036 times)

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Aceca: removing the footbox?
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:35:27 »
I think everybody of us knows the picture in the Cobra, Ace and Aceca books showing a Aceca chassis in the snow without body (cf. "Original AC Ace and Cobra", Rinsey Mills, p. 20)

We can see that the footbox and the A-pillar panels are already mounted. My question is, is it possible to remove the footbox without removing the body?

Currently, I see a problem with the upper tube connecting the A-pillars: the footbox is laid around this tube and the body is laid around this mixure.

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 20:41:09 »
From looking at AE503 currently with me for restoration it looks to be very difficult if not impossible to remove the footboxes without cutting them apart.
   It would then be very difficult to reattach them correctly particularly to the A post structure.
   As you can see from the photo that you've already mentioned, the footboxes and A posts were in place before the outer panels were fitted.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 22:40:48 »
I thought the peddle box assembly was cantilevered off & welded too the central main tubes not the 'A' Pillar, if you can remove the floor you should be able to access the assembly!Need to look underneath the car to verify!
   Robin

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:08:45 »
Robin, I think that Peter is referring to the fibreglass footboxes/bulkhead rather than to the chassis mounted pedal box

Regards Luke.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:49:17 »
Luke
   You are perfectly correct i thought the requirement was for the master cylinder assembly, i will have a look at the actual foot box set up but some were aluminium & later ones fibre glass so probably will fit differently! Gerry Hawkridge should be able to assist though as he makes both types i believe.

Robin

Peter Hoskin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:16:16 »
[/black
   Removal of the fibreglass footwell/firewall is possible without removing the body.  I had no difficulty.  Panals, steering wheel. pedals and leather covered facia and alloy floors, gearbox covers have to be reoved.  It is easier if the doors are removed.  Then the many rivets, screws and some (4?) bolts around the edges have to be removed (including around the pedal box) and it can be taken out to the rear.  When I did it I already had the running gear out as well as the heater and interior and floors so access was no problem.

The rear fibreglass panal comes out also.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Hoskin

[/black
   Removal of the fibreglass footwell/firewall is possible without removing the body.  I had no difficulty.  Panals, steering wheel. pedals and leather covered facia and alloy floors, gearbox covers have to be reoved.  It is easier if the doors are removed.  Then the many rivets, screws and some (4?) bolts around the edges have to be removed (including around the pedal box) and it can be taken out to the rear.  When I did it I already had the running gear out as well as the heater and interior and floors so access was no problem.

The rear fibreglass panal comes out also.

Thank you for for tips. I will post some picture when I try this procedure.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 18:51:50 »
Yes, the footbox can be removed. All you have to do is, find all the screws and rivets (partially hidden), remove the two covers of the A-pillar and then move the box to the rear:

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:28:20 »
Yes it is possible to remove the foot wells with out removing the body. Don't be scared of removing as much as possible to give you easy access as in the end it will save you a lot of trouble.
   Once out you may find areas where the fibreglass has de-laminated and the resin has broken down, especially areas of high temp and oil contamination.
   It is possible to recover this with out having to make a new foot well.

The vast majority of production were fibreglass for the ACECA and Aluminium for the ACE.

James

www.bristolengineering.co.uk

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 17:54:53 »
Now that your foot boxes are out I can see that the flanges on the lower outer edges are cut out around the step and sill woodwork. On AE503 this is not the case, so to remove the foot box you either have to remove the sill panels or cut the fiberglass!
   As 503 is such an early Aceca possibly there was still some evolution going on with the design?