Author Topic: New MkV Cobras for sale  (Read 27278 times)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:35:11 »
For anyone who has an interest, whilst browsing Ebay motors in the States today, I found a company selling two pre-production MkV cars, chassis numbers 005 & 006. The E-bay number is 200065655731.
   There are a series of photographs of the car both finished and part built.
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens

nikbj68

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:08:20 »
At least the second time these have been up for grabs, although individually previously, rather than sold as a pair! Didn`t reach reserves, highest bids didn`t go over $20k if I recall correctly!

Can someone remind me which AC Cobra WON Le Mans?

AutoKraft? 2005?! At Frimley?
   Bodies made in Malta.....really?

1900 Shelby Cobra.....???? Looks like a lawsuit to me!

So do we assume that Autosport Designs Inc. are no longer official US distributors fo the AC MkV?

Mark IV

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 14:57:18 »
Autosport Designs were to be the US distributors of this car although a US distribution base was not meant to be.

Ya think!

I feel sorry for them, they are trying to recover some of the money that went down the hole in their attempt to market AC here and deal with the regime in power. But would it have killed them to turn on some lights for the photos?

Also the buyer will only have a "bill of sale", no MSO? Many states will not register a componet cat with an MSO/MCO unless the vehicle is "self constructed" and receipts for materials are provided....they may not accept the "bill of sale" for a complete roller. I would assume that "AC" would not/could not provide an MSO.

Rick

TLegate

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 20:26:52 »
A classic case of 'let the buyer beware', to put it mildly. Will be interesting to see whether the reserve is reached. Place your bets...

Chafford

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:06:47 »
The current US distributor is supposed to be Unique Perfornance:

See the following press release:

http://preview-publish.exigo.com/public/15/websites/38/images/News%20Release%20-%20AC.pdf

In the UK, Clive Sutton are advertising a Mk V (presumably a 'production' model for £59K.

jbottini

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 14:45:10 »
I've looked at the Unique site this AM. Other than the 3/30/06 press release, I'm at a loss to find anything else about the MKV. I hope it works as it will only drive up MkIV values.

ak1234

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:01:51 »
So what are these cars worth ?? how would they be able to be registered ??? Seems like something is wrong here.  2 cars built in a shop and sold with a bill of sale. No serial #'s ?? What a shame.  So they could be registered as a Kit Car ??? or maybe be used a a race car ??? now thats a idea.

Ron

ak1234

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:01:41 »
I read on another site that the MKV's had very poor manufacturing qualities ?? is this true ??  So where is the whole MKV situation at ??  are the cars being made and only sold in the UK ??

Ron

nikbj68

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:29:55 »
Ron, the cars are being built in Malta, although I`ve seen no independant reports from visitors to the factory.
   Other than the one(s?) for sale at Clive Sutton (who is a member of this forum), there are reportedly 'several' cars that have been shipped to America.

nikbj68

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 20:02:56 »
Well, ONE of the 2 prototypes has re-appeared on
   eBay....someone has bought the Silver one.
   Would the new owner care to raise a hand?!

Chafford

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 20:29:34 »
There seem to be a number of these Mk V prototypes in the USA - see the link below. As well as the blue car pictured, there is also a rather lurid orange car (which I think was the first prototype)

http://accarsus.com/

I understand AC Cars USA(owned by the Boulder Speedster Company)were to be the importer before Autosport took up the reins (temporarily) in 2005.

The car is still for sale for $99,500 (Chassis No COB10003)

http://www.boulderspeedster.com/bsd/006%20ac%20blue/indices/index_1.htm

nikbj68

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 21:12:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

There seem to be a number of these Mk V prototypes in the USA...As well as the blue car pictured, there is also a rather lurid orange car (which I think was the first prototype)...The car is still for sale for $99,500 (Chassis No COB10003)

I think the 2 eBay cars are the only actual prototypes that were built(or mostly built)at Frimley before it closed, this blue one being an actual production MkV built(or mostly built!) in Malta, as was the orange with blue stripes one, which I guess would be ch.no COB10001.

quote:
from BoulderSpeedster.com This AC MKV is chassis number 3 and a collectors item already.
   ...It is a new car, a development from the original AC ACE and the Le Mans winning cars upon which AC's post-war reputation was founded...

Here we go again!!! Which Le Mans winning Cobra?

quote:
from BoulderSpeedster.comThe MkV shares many of the historic marque's design features and parts whilst taking the classic, original, 1950's revolutionary design forward into the 21st century....

EH?

quote:
from BoulderSpeedster.com...The MkV carbon fibre body is moulded from the original aluminium body formers....

Really! I don`t think so!

quote:
from BoulderSpeedster.com...The carbon fibre body makes the MkV lighter than the original Cobra and it's therefore even faster. Tweaks to the chassis and suspension make sure it handles just as well, if not better. Ventilated discs stop the car reassuringly faster than its ancestor.....

Did anyone here ever have trouble stopping their original Cobra?

quote:
from BoulderSpeedster.com...And of course, being an original, the car's value will hold....
...at what though? [:)]

Chafford

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:11:21 »
quote:
I think the 2 eBay cars are the only actual prototypes that were built(or mostly built)at Frimley before it closed, this blue one being an actual production MkV built(or mostly built!) in Malta, as was the orange with blue stripes one, which I guess would be ch.no COB10001.

Interesting though that the eBay cars have the same dashboard as the car currently being advertised on Clive Sutton's website. This suggests to me that the eBay cars were produced after the orange car and COB10003. May be wrong on this though!

Perhaps Trevor Legate has a definitive list of Mk V chassis numbers.

AK1131

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 16:25:37 »
Is the MKV an Autokraft product?

TLegate

• View Profile
New MkV Cobras for sale
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 19:52:26 »
I have not been sent any information about the MkV other than doing my own on-line research and seeing the SVA car, plus the C.Sutton demo car at Earls Court. I doubt that these cars stand any chance being 'passed off' as any other Cobra model, since they have their own quite distinctive...err...quality...?

I note that one of the two ebay cars has (allegedly) been sold and maybe the new owner will chip in with more information - yes?

AK1131 - Autokraft is no longer trading as a company. MkV's are produced by AC Motor Holdings Ltd, based in Malta.