Author Topic: sleeping beauty  (Read 4507 times)

siegfried

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« on: January 06, 2012, 15:19:06 »
Many  thanks  J Jones & Paul
   Watt e job , but a succeed .
   Photo’s from the car just discovered .
   Siegfried

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n501/sieg3/DSC_0194.jpg
   http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n501/sieg3/DSC_0211.jpg
   http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n501/sieg3/DSC_0204.jpg

Classicus

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 15:52:18 »
Hi Siegfried

Fantastic pics well done !!!! [:D] [:p] [8D]

Apologies forgot to add there's one more thing to do in future. Look above the message box, then place the cursor on the eleventh (11th) icon from the left, it will say "Insert Image". Next highlight the "IMG CODE" and then click on the same icon. Make sure that all the code is on the same line and the whole picture will appear....

Thanks

Paul [8D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 17:56:38 »
Jeffrey, some interesting clues on these pictures:
   Bezels around sides vents missing or painted black!
   Shifter location is way forward!
   Emblems behind gas tank trap doors say "Frua"
   Carpets look like German carpet on Mercedes, may not be original.
   Steering wheel is different!
   All body lines are pretty sharp, would be interesting to see if paint is original?
   Looks like this car will clean up pretty well!

Emmanuel[:)]

lyonheart84

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 19:18:41 »
Hi Emmanuel, Happy New Year ! Looks like Siegfried made a great discovery. I doubt if the colour is original as it just doesn't go well with the seats and door panel colour ( assuming they are the originals ! ). The heater centre console may not be pushed forward enough ( notice the heater controls look too recessed ) so maybe this gives the illusion of the shifter being too far forward. My manual gearbox car had a cranked back shifter but was a later car. All the earlier cars seem to have had a 'ribbed' carpet in a charcoal colour so it may well still be the original carpet in this car ( it always seemed to be the same colour carpet regardless of the leather colour so I'm guessing AC had a lot of rolls of the same colour ! ). I agree it looks like the bezels around the side vents are missing, and I like the Frua badges behind the fuel tank doors, does anyone else own a Frua with these fitted instead of AC badges?

J Jones

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 20:07:51 »
I'm thinking the color (colour) of the car might be an original shade - looks like the greenish-blue metallic I've seen evidence of on bits of my car. Not sure I like it, seeing the whole car. (for clarification; I've seen both the greenish-blue, and BRG on parts of my car. It's currently red)
   the steering wheel does look like a later Les Leston model with a thick rim - though more of a boy-racer style, and also fairly ugly. (viewable by googling "Les Leston steering wheel", and clicking on 'images'.)
   I wonder what gearbox is being used? Toploader, or something else?
   Is that the cigarette lighter in front of the ashtray? I've not seen that set-up before.

lyonheart84

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 00:25:46 »
Hi also Jeffrey and happy new year again. lots looks a little different on this car such as the switch panel, the switches are not the usual ones especially not for the electric windows, but it is a very early car and a very early LHD so probably has a few unique features as AC were continuously 'developing' with each one built. I think the early metallic green was darker than this, but I'm assuming a customer could choose any colour they liked provided they could give AC the name or code. No doubt Siegfried will want to strip and repaint the car so he will eventually be able to tell anyone interested a lot more

Emmanueld

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 00:39:37 »
Happy New Year guys!

Yes I think the Steering wheel is not original since there is a void under the AC badge between the spokes. AC would not do that. I did not see that this morning because I was using my I-pad. By the way Siegfried, before you drive the car pull the badge and check the steering wheel bolts, looks flimsy!
   The cigarette lighter ashtray combo was common on Maseraties of the period. The shifter is forward because this is an early car and Ford did not make the longer tail shaft with the recessed shifter mount yet, it came on the 70 and 71 Grand-Torino. This is why they used the long curved back shifter in the Cobra MK-III. I ran into that problem when I installed my toploader.

The correct steering wheel was on Ebay but expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250945938555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It did not sell so he still has it! I made two offers, the guy did not want to budge! Of course I did not tell him what it was for or the price would go up even more. Remember we still have to machine a bezel and re-drill for the Cobra Hub!

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 04:31:47 »
Jeffrey hi, I hope you feel better, I have looked through the Les Leston page and was not able to identifye that wheel. It looks like it has a very small center and the leather pads on the branches are pointed. Ain't looking like a Les Leston!

E[:)]

J Jones

• View Profile
sleeping beauty
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 16:04:32 »
True. I sent you a photo of a 13 1/2 inch L.L. wheel for a mini cooper - but it's still not as ugly as the one on Sleeping Beauty.
   Getting better, thanks.