Author Topic: Barn find  (Read 4199 times)

siegfried

• View Profile
Barn find
« on: January 05, 2012, 22:44:06 »
Hello everyone
   Some months ago I bought this car ho was already standing more than 20 years in a barn .
   The general state is pretty good but I go for a full restoration .
   Every feedback is more than welcome .

The car is a left drive en a manual gearbox  green colour
   AC 428 Coupé
   Chassis CFX 13
   Engine  7 H20 F
   Registered in Belgium on 26 04 1968
   A struggle with the system ho to insert a photo , any help please ?
   Many Thanks
   Siegfried

J Jones

• View Profile
Barn find
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:41:08 »
Congratulations Siegfried!
   Classicus will be happy to hear of this.
   In his Frua register, the car is described as an automatic, sold to Belgium. So, either the factory record is incorrect, or the car was converted to a manual transmission at some point
   I, too, have no idea how to post pictures. It's a multi-step process that involves signing up to "Photobucket". Seems unecessarily complicated, but that is what is required apparently. I've contacted Emmanuel, who's a master at posting photos. he'll help you.

(I just tried to post a photo, unsucessfully)(ridiculously antique process)

(a personal tirade: I HATE Microsoft products!)

Classicus

• View Profile
Barn find
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:01 »
Hi Siegfried !

Great news well done !! [8D] [:D]

Latest posting procedures follow....

First open a Photobucket account

http://photobucket.com/

1. When you've signed up, next click on the green "Upload" button at the top of the screen.
   2. Then click on "Select Photos and Videos" in the middle of the screen.
   3. This takes you into your hard drive. Find the picture(s) you want and click on "Open".
   4. Next click on "View Album" or "Upload more".
   5. Your pictures will appear in separate boxes.
   6. Place your cursor over the first picture, then in the drop down box that appears go to the last one at the bottom – "IMG CODE" - and click on it. This is now saved.
   7. Back to the ACOC forum here.
   8. Click on this thread and then "Reply"
   9. After you've entered your message, copy and paste the "IMG CODE" below it. For example....

[IMG)http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/AC428-RegELH185J.jpg[/img]

12. Preview first. If ok you can add as many "IMG CODE" pictures as you want below.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pics !

Paul

Classicus

• View Profile
Barn find
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 13:53:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by siegfried
   The general state is pretty good but I go for a full restoration.

Hi Siegfried

If the general state is pretty good it seems that the more original a barn find car remains, i.e. as close as possible to when it left the factory, the more valuable it is as so many classic cars these days are probebly better than they were when new ! As per the interesting article below the best option is therefore to preserve as much as possible and only restore where absolutely necessary.

Food for thought ?

http://www.classiccars.ws/articles/preserveccars/index.html

"But a growing number of collectors are now focusing on trying to preserve as much of the original vehicle as possible. The chrome and paintwork may not be as shiny, the interior a bit moth-eaten and the upholstery worn, but the important thing is what you see is the original car, warts and all."

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Barn find
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 16:53:31 »
Happy New Year to everyone!

Hi Siegfried, nice car and probably not messed up by anybody. If I may suggest, get the thing running first by changing all fluids and cleaning both gas tanks and carb. Once you get it running then a good cleaning will be in order. My advice, don't wet the car until it runs because these cars have a bad rusting problem and water sitting anywhere will trigger more rust. Also, do inspect brakes carefully, the four master cylinders  (2 are boosters as well up font) and all 4 calipers for leakage. I would also inspect the main battery cable ( from battery to starter solenoid) for cracks any grounding of the cable will result in a fire since it is not fused. The cable runs under the car from the boot to the firewall on the right of the car.

Once the car is clean and drivable, the next step will be to assess its condition and what restoration will be needed. If you have any question, I will be glad to help you.

I see Paul is helping you on how to post pictures on this site, let me know if you need anymore help.

Paul, the argument on how much to restore a car has been going on for years. Americans, like their cars over restored and perfect when British typically like their cars unrestored and original and somewhat weathered. It is just a matter of taste. As far as value, a Pebble Beach concourse type restoration will always fetch more value than an unrestored and weathered car. Of course, an unrestored new car will fetch the most but as far as 428s are concerned, I don't know any!

Regards,

Emmanuel[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
Barn find
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 17:30:24 »
As always time will tell.... [:)]

Stjohnwest

• View Profile
Barn find
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 19:21:22 »
If it has been in a barn for 20 years it will probably need a lot of work to get it going. The carb gaskets shrink to the point where they pull themselves apart. Also valves are prone to seizing in the guides, the fuel pump will probably not work etc.