Author Topic: Looking for AC factory photo  (Read 3780 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Looking for AC factory photo
« on: April 18, 2012, 22:10:30 »
Below is a picture that was taken in what I believe what early 1956 in front of the AC factory. I have also seen another picture that was taken at the same time from a different angle that was in color and I believe it is one of the AC history books. Unfortunately, I cannot find the picture in any of the books I have and was hoping someone might be able to either post that picture, or point me to which book has the photo. As usual thanks in advance for any help.

Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 00:55:42 »
Jay.

Great B&W photo, as in:-

Classic ACs
   Auto-Carrier to Cobra

page 99.

By  John Mc lellan
   First published in 2000
   ISBN 0 7509 2042 4

If you can't find one I will have a word with John,
   He lives about 50 miles from me, so I could pick up a copy and forward on..[;)]

Would love to see  colour copy of this photo, if you manage locate a copy could you please scan and email me copy.. In fact if anyone has a colour copy could they please furnish me with a copy.... much appreciated.

Cheers

Keith..[:)]

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43:56 »
Hi Keith,
    I went looking for my copy of the book you referenced, but found out I do not have a copy of it. Instead I have 2 copies of The Classic ACs- Two Litre to Cobra. I guess it is time to buy a new book. However, I found the color picture I was looking for in Rinsey Mills' book AC six cylinder Sports Cars in Detail, and it is on page 117. Is this same picture you are referencing? Also, if anyone has a color picture of the picture I posted originally, that would help with what I am working on.

Jay

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15:39 »
Hi Jay,

yes, the book Keith mentioned above

Classic ACs
   Auto-Carrier to Cobra
   page 99.

By John Mc lellan
   First published in 2000
   ISBN 0 7509 2042 4

contains your posted picture in b&w on page 99.

Peter

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:27:42 »
The AC & Cobra book (McLellan) has same picture on pg103 (black & white)

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 16:34:26 »
I have finished my little project that I was looking for the color picture to support. My goal was to try and assign Chassis numbers to the cars in the above picture and with the help of the color picture and the AC factory delivery records, I have  guess at what the Chasis numbers are for the cars. The main car that helps with the ID is the Aceca which is gold, and according to what I have seen makes it AEX566. This defines the picture as having been taken prior to it shipping which was in late March 1956. Going through the other cars and comparing colors to the shipping records. Below is what I have come up with from left to right.

AEX566- Gold Aceca
   AEX132- Green Ace with Natural Interior
   AEX131- Red Ace with Black Interior (there are 3 Red Aces so all of these could be interchanged)
   AEX128- Black Ace with Red Interior
   AEX124- White Ace with Red Interior
   AEX130- Red Ace, but Interior is not visible in color picture.
   AEX129- Red Ace, but Interior is not visible in color picture. The double row bumper might positively ID the chassis number.
   AEX127- Green Ace,but Interior is not visible in color picture.
   AEX122- Black Ace, but Interior is not visible in color picture. Another double row bumper which might elp with a positive ID.
   AEX123- White Ace, but Interior is not visible in color picture.
   AEX126- Silver Ace, but Interior is not visible in color picture.
   AEX125- Black Ace, but Interior is not visible in color picture. I believe this to be 125, because 125 shows evidence of having a boot rack and this car has one from the factory.
   There is also a car on the back, just in front of the entrance and I believe it is silver which would probably make it AEX140.

If any believes they have any info that might shed more or different light on the cars, please let me know. What would be a great piece of the puzzle to confirm or dispel my IDs would be a color version of the picture I posted above. Being able to see the interior of the cars on the right would help immensely. Again, these are just my guesses based on the info available