Author Topic: Oil Temperature sensor  (Read 3145 times)

BEX 288

• View Profile
Oil Temperature sensor
« on: May 08, 2012, 20:40:02 »
I try to locate the exact point in the engine bay (Bristol engine) where the oil temperature sensor is fixed. Any hints or photos would be highly welcome.
   Cheers
   Stephan

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Oil Temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 21:49:07 »
I would have thought the sump-where mine is,albeit on a Bristol 400.

Graham

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Oil Temperature sensor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 20:45:01 »
Poor BEX 288 - Flying Horse will mislead you. On A.C.s with a Bristol engine the Vokes Oil Filter was raised, to clear the chassis, by Thames Ditton adding an alloy extension piece. The shape of this was exactly like a dog's bone and it was inevitably so named.
   On the top of The Dog's Bone is a tapped hole which had a brass blanking plug fitted if there was no oil temperature gauge on the car. If the gauge was fitted the 3/8" BSP brass plug was replaced with a male/male threaded spigot which then accepted the Smith's temperature bulb.
   Sadly most cars have lost their Dog's Bone extensions by reason of giving up on Vokes and accepting a modern spin on cannister. In this case you will find a spare tapped hole on the port rear corner of the Bristol sump as described by Graham Flying Horse for the 400.
   Should you be at The International I will show you what I am rambling on about beneath LM5000's bonnet.
   All of which takes us back to the recent postings on production of more Vokes Insert Assemblies .....

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Oil Temperature sensor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 21:28:52 »
Stephan BEX288.

BEX333 has Spin Off Vertical Oil Filter employing the dogbone and complete Vokes Filter head, As Barrie states in previous post, the take off is available as originaly designed by Vokes and Bristol for Oil Temperature take off in the Standard Filter Head.

Please refer to seperate Thread reference " Vokes Oil Filter UPDATE" . by  3.8 Jag dated  20th  March 2012..... Photos should help elaborate, as they show Vokes Filter Head ( please note BEX333 is not fitted with Oil Temp sender / Gauge)

Keith..[:)]

BEX 288

• View Profile
Oil Temperature sensor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 22:11:40 »
Barry/Keith, thanks a lot for your explanations, very helpful indeed. Lets see whether we will be able to get the oil temperature gauge on BE 640 working again.
   Cheers Stephan

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Oil Temperature sensor
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 00:03:46 »
Stephan.

Before installing, best test Gauge and sensor in the Kitchen, to establish wether the capillary tube and sensor are still sealed and there are no signs of leakage.

Cheers

Keith ..[;)]