Author Topic: Design experiment of the fastback's rear  (Read 2905 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Design experiment of the fastback's rear
« on: December 02, 2011, 15:11:16 »
The one design area of the AC 428 fastback that I've never been comfortable with is the rear as it always looks too "hunchbacked" or bulky. Perhaps making rearward vision a bit difficult for the driver too ?

So if there ever is an AC Frua 428 Mk II, which at the rate values are taking off might even be a possibility one day (!), been playing around in Paintshop with possible alternatives and although it still doesn't look or feel right as it looks like an old Mazda shape (!!) it has I think removed the hunched up bulky feel as well as allowing the whole tailgate to perhaps open just above the number plate. It's CF 66 and a tailgate taken from a Jensen Interceptor Mk 3 built in 1966 as I couldn't find or think of anything else more modern.

Be interested to hear fastback owner's thoughts as to whether it might be an improvement or not, or whether there might be other better solutions ? [:)]

lyonheart84

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 20:42:00 »
lol I've actually got a Jensen SP, but for the AC I preferred the original rear end, really it's just the rear window that needed to come down lower to balance the look and improve rear visibility, but that would have resulted in a tiny boot opening which would have been no use

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 23:25:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by lyonheart84

lol I've actually got a Jensen SP, but for the AC I preferred the original rear end, really it's just the rear window that needed to come down lower to balance the look and improve rear visibility, but that would have resulted in a tiny boot opening which would have been no use

This is the problem and why I was thinking that it should all be hinged at the roofline like the Jensen allowing a larger rear window. Anyway it's fun to play around as there's bound to be a few more styles though I draw the line at an estate !

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:58:56 »
Now if it was more along the lines of a 1972 Volvo P1800 Estate without looking like a Reliant Scimitar could be getting a bit closer....[8D]  Not sure about the two tone paintwork as you don't see many about nowadays or even whether they're still made any more ?