Author Topic: SPAX Shocks  (Read 11685 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 01:56:43 »
I put 4 Spax shocks on my 428, a month later one shock exploded when the car was put on the lift. JUNK. Never again I was lucky the shock did not come apart on the road. You want the best performance shock, Penske, very expensive but worth it. Entry level price is $2500 for the set, remote reservoir models are double that. I have Edelbrocks for sale cheap if anybody is interested.

http://www.penskeshocks.com

Emmanuel[:)]

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 17:25:18 »
New update : i found the time to fit the Hawk/gaz shocks ... Or at least, try to !

Here are the shocks with springs fitted :

So I started from the front left side ... Shocks (Spax and Hawk) are almost the same height :

But when I tried to fit the upper bolt, there is obviously an issue :

The upper plateform is fouling the touret, and bolt can't be inserted, no matter how I tried !

And the answer is obvious... The "neck" between the plateform and the eyelet is shorter by about 12 or 13 milimeters !

I'll contact Gerry H to sort out that, but I can't imagine i'm the only one who experiment that [:(] !

jbottini

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 22:01:47 »
Looks as if  not only is the neck shorter,  but, the concave portion of the top that retains spring is shorter. Were these sold to you a replacement parts for a MKIV?

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 23:48:49 »
Hi Jim,

Definitely ! The "concave portion" (what I call the plateform) is flater, indeed, but keeps the same diameter as the Spax, and it shouldn't be a problem... The point is really concerning the neck...

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 01:30:31 »
My initial thoughts looking at your photos  and having just looked at my CRS is that someone has put the rear tops(blue dished pieces) on the front dampers and the front tops on the rear.
   In your photos the longer dampers (rears) have longer necks on the tops.
   I believe they just screw in so should (!) be an easy reversal unless heavily thread locked. On your photos I may have "spied" a lock nut in which case you should be able to swap them over.

The necks (blue tops on yours)  on my rear CRS konis  are short  but best check MKiv rears to be sure.

Graham

jbottini

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 16:59:04 »
Outcome?

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 00:54:38 »
What was the story with these shocks FF? You have been very quiet about them.
   Graham

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 16:21:00 »
no story 'til now, Graham [;)]... I didn't find the time to write to Gerry ! now it's done... wait and see !

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 17:10:19 »
end of story : shocks should have been fitted with extended top eyelet; like rear ones ... for an unknown reason, supplier didn't do so !

they'll send correct tops directly to me, but in black, as anodized blue are no longer produced [:o)] !

thanks to Gerry and Dave ...

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 17:19:17 »
Thats good that you found a solution in time for all the summer outings coming up.

Will be good to hear how they perform on the car in due course.

Graham

AK1131

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 18:29:19 »
My left rear Spax shock is leaking fuild at a very low drip rate. What should I do? Have Spax rebuild all four shocks or buy new ones? Any manufacturers such as Koni or Bilstein I can fine in the USA?

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 21:29:00 »
I received the correct (but black) top today  :

The shocks will be fitted in few days , and I'll you give you my feedback asap...