Author Topic: SPAX Shocks  (Read 11625 times)

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:01 »
Hello,

I saw several topics talking about shocks (some arguing about the poor quality of factory fitted Spax ones),  but I assume no reference was mentioned...

So, for record, here are the infos from Spax :

Front:  ref G953 - Price: £ 239.98 VAT incl.
   Rear :  ref G952 - Price: £ 219.99 VAT incl.

prices are for each... warning from Spax : "Please be aware for the rear units you will need to source or re-use your existing spherical bearings"

I found that mine were really comfortable, but way too soft on bumpy roads, with bounces on compression... I played with the adjustable screw at their bottom (not the best I've seen, as it has no stop and looks fragile), and it is far better !

Olivier

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:52:38 »
Don't forget Spax offer 15% discount on RRP to ACOC members - details on the members' Home page with other offers.

Migge

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 12:52:52 »
240,- for one shock? There are definitly alternatives.

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 16:21:04 »
I assume springs are included, so doesn't seem that expensive to me ...

Migge

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:59 »
Springs are 30,- each

cobham cobra

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:37:00 »
FYI – Thunder Road and Speed Shop have good experience setting up the suspension on Cobras, particularly the MkIV. I am thinking of having some suspension work done on my car over the winter and have talked with the guys at Thunder Road about the springs they have made to their spec and the anti-roll bar kit they produce.
   http://thunderroadspeedshop.co.uk/4.html

If I go ahead with the work I will post updates.

John.

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 18:19:25 »
I'll be highly interested for both infos ! Thanks ...

AK1161

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:33:39 »
Wealden Engineering set up the suspension on AK1161 and it is superb.  I will post all the details later and let you know which shocks we have and prices. Luke

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 22:04:23 »
Some update, again, for the records ... I passed the MKIV to the " controle technique" (French equivalent of MOT), and apart from the fact it passed it easily, it was the opportunity to tweak the suspension.

I've read before that older Spax shocks have 14 steps setting (28 for newer), and you have to turn clockwise to stiff the damping, and anti-clockwise to soften it (of course !)... BUT, there's no stop clockwise, so the only way to know where you are is to fully turn it anti-clockwise, then count each click clockwise.

At first try, the efficiency of my suspension was rated 86/80 RL/RR ( in %) (remember I already played with it last week, but blindly ) and 75/63 FL/FR.. After reset, and after 10 clicks on each damper, it was respectively rated  80/80  and 80/81. Quite a good result !

On test drive, the suspension is far better , and I Assume that a setting between 8/12 clicks is the good compromise... Maybe not as good as new dampers, but mines are only 11,500 miles and it now can wait...

jbottini

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 23:21:56 »
congrats!!!!

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:15:12 »
update : two years later, I'm about to change the Spax shocks ...

two options :
   - new Spax ones, for about £875 (ex VAT). BTW , they took more than £100 within two years !
   - custom made Gaz shocks, with uprated springs, sold By Gerry Hawkridge, for £1,060 + £180 (ex VAT) for springs ... they are fully adjustable, with an alloy body and spherical bearings for rear already fitted. Alan Faulkner Stevens used to told me he fitted them to a member's car... who's got them, and do you think it's a nice upgrade, without taking away all the confort ride ?

thanks !

Olivier

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:07 »
nobody has Gerry's shocks (or others) fitted to his MKIV [xx(] ?

AK1131

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 18:20:39 »
How about Koni or Bilstein?

nick Godridge

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 18:33:17 »
I have a a pair of Gerry's rear shocks, fitted by Redline engineering. They come complete with new spherical bearing. From memory, about 400 pounds the pair.
   Redline also fitted front and rear anti-roll bars. The two things work well together.

Having said all that, my cars suspension has more in common with the "mk111' than later MK1V's, but that would affect only the roll bar fitting.

Nick G

French Frie

• View Profile
SPAX Shocks
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:55:51 »
I finally went the Gerry route ... and received the parts yesterday !

I weighted each part and the aluminium body shock is only  1.8kg, and the  uprated and lowered coil is 3.7kg ...

I let you know how is the ride as soon as they'll be fitted (in March) !