Author Topic: AK 1106 rework ...  (Read 74606 times)

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2012, 13:36:48 »
Seat belt anchor points are changed from outside to inside position as it was with the later cars but without the bow normally welded to the longitudinal tubes below the rear body section above the tank.

The powder coated plates are screwed to a clamp going around these tubes, the clamp can't slip out because the bow around the passenger compartment keep the load.

It looks like this and allows me to use automatic seat belts instead of the static ones used in my car originally.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 20:55:49 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 11:34:21 »
during the last few weeks we (the frog and I) made some progress. I received the hood after repainting because of metallic particle shading in the scoop opening. It took me 5 weeks to get the thing back home because of manpower problems at the paint shop.

Together with the hood the painter delivered some pics I want to show here. At least the car was not alone between Porsches, Lancias and other continental stuff, it had some native English speaking company....

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 20:59:28 by westcott »

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:45 »
The guys at the paint shop where impressed by the very good surface quality of the pure aluminum body and they told me that even Bentleys have not such a good, close to perfect, body quality as the Autokraft MK IV.
   A few days later a black 289 race with the lower additional front fender extensions, Kidney Beans and the shield around the fuel cap came in to the paint shop to get some cosmetic hours. Very nice black car, known from the usual publications.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:50 »
Yesterday i finished the wiring and completed the electrical part of the rework. Also the home made center console got its last leather wrapping and is waiting for installation. My first idea was to change the heater to the later design where the heater motor hangs upside down below the cross beam. But finally i kept the early heater design and changed a bit the side panels to accept a "front cover" replacing the t-dash vertical extension. This cover acts like a center console and has a upper panel for interior light switch, hazard switch and cigar lighter. Just for fun i put a AC labeled cheap aftermarket lighter in to have it closed when my trip meter or navigation is not plugged.

French Frie

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2012, 11:53:37 »
Hi Uwe...

is it the "manpower problems" you're refering to [:o)] ?

hahahaha [:D] !

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2012, 12:13:15 »
For the Autokraft labeled Instruments i received the following information from Andy at Speedy Cables:

Hi Uwe, the gauges are made by Stewart Warner and they do not use a voltage stabilizer they need 12 volts feed and one connection to the sender. The fault you describe is the stabilizer operating and shutting of voltage to the gauges. The tacho has a Stewart Warner dial and pointer but a Smiths movement. + must be connected to 12 volt supply – must be connected to 12 volt neg supply, the other terminal is connected to the negative side of the ignition coil. You may have a problem with calibration as the pointer was never made for that pointer and the balance could be out, please contact me if you need any further assistance, Regards

Andy Barraclough

Director
   Abercrave,Swansea SA9 1SQ

I tried to follow his advice but found out that the tachometer works in my car only connected to the + terminal of my ignition coil.
   Again it is not the Smiths instrumentation I'm talking about its is the Motorkraft labeled series of gauges used in the straight dash cars.

Speedy cables is always a good support and helping hand, especially for the mechanical cobra instruments i used the last years.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:32 »
Well, indeed, they don't killed them self because of overload at least not from October last year until May this year.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 13:44:44 »
Here are some more detailed pictures of the inside release handle attachment to the typical crossbeam inside the MK IV doors.

The handle housings slide onto the L-profiles welded to the top surface of the rectangular door cross beam.

The up down movement is free and only defined by the mounted door panel and the bezel clipped to the handle housing. I promised to deliver the pics, here we go.

The instrument panel looked like this beginning last week. I want to keep the side panels of the T-dash heater, they will be covered in black leather and a additional center console will close the front, pics to follow.

The last small items are finished by me, I had to speed up a little because today a valuation report will be done by an authorized expert.

In simple words: Move your ... Uwe, step on it!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 21:05:58 by westcott »

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 13:48:16 »
The ugly original dimmer switch bolted through the upper Rover steering column cover is moved to the left of the steering wheel and received a new knob.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 21:07:19 by westcott »

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 22:35:35 »
It took me more or less 11 month, the first test drives around the corner are done today. The EFI is learning and learning, it feels pretty good with fast response from the throttle.

Did you know that our MK IV Horn/Compressor is a Maserati unit ??
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 21:13:10 by westcott »

BBK

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:56 »
Uwe, beautiful job.  It has been fun to read what you have done and see the photo documentation.  A lot of work!!  Enjoy! [:D]

302EFI

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2012, 10:44:51 »
Uwe,
   You did an outstanding job. The car is just great. Congratulations!
   Jürgen

Spantik

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2012, 12:27:42 »
with such an input, it could not become another output. Congrats, great car.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 14:50:47 »
Engine bay and Trunk are finished. The trunk lid received a more rigid needle-felt inlay. The original felt dos not protect the lid very well against small damages from parts stored in the trunk. I found a cheap tool role to have everything on board, the original tool roll is lost. If someone is willing to sell a spare, please drop me a mail.

It was formed a bit 3-D over my knees to give it a more curved shape to follow the inner lid surface. Finally i had to cut it just from the number plate lamp down to handle. This area is not visible and for me acceptable.

The hood is painted silver on the inner side as it was before.

The EFI is not visible and the test drives yesterday made me smile very, very wide; from one ear to the other i think.

During the winter i have to replace my front brake disks and pads. The rear and front suspension will receive PU-bushings all around.

A suspension component company sent me a set of rear poly bushings, not expensive. I will check out the fitment of the parts and give some comments about.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 21:17:15 by westcott »

302EFI

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 17:55:07 »
Would be nice to see some pics on a 'before / after' basis...