Author Topic: AK 1106 rework ...  (Read 74095 times)

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 12:03:50 »
I started the engine assembly. The main bearing and rod bearing tolerances are checked and fine. Crankshaft and cam are checked for endplay and o.k.

All fasteners are ARP and the main studs are the windade tray version to have a hazzle free installation of the pickup tube bracket. The standard main studs are too short for the additional pickup bracket and you have to have this in mind before you  order your hardware.

I installed a torrington bearing in the cam retainer plate from precission oilpumps, a optimized race HV oilpump(where the rotor shaft has a second guide in the pump bottom plate), a Cloys true roller timing set and a pioneer race damper.

The 331 is internally balanced by Keith Craft, so the SFI flywheel and the SFI damper are "zero" balanced.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 18:35:55 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

Johan

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:15:23 »
If you have available your old seatcovers please let me know. Also could use carpet. Thanks.
   Johan
   USA

Johan

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:15 »
If you have available your old seatcovers please let me know. Thanks.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:29 »
The seat rework starts end of this week, for shure the seams will all be cutted off to get  patterns for the new covers. My first intent was to store them together with the green T-dash for some future rework to original specs but will decide on this in the next few month.

Do you need them for pattern or restoration?

Westcott

Johan

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 04:23:59 »
I have a wonderfully worn and comfortable saddle interior and hate the look of brand new seats or re dyed seats.
   I am looking for a used black interior. The original leather was very nice and no longer available.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 16:40:13 »
Most of the engine work is done, looks like this today:
   Yes, all right, it looks a bit like a poser engine but it is just the pulley-and-bracket set from  March bringing this shiny look.

For my former FE engine build i ordered a set of March Pulleys powdercoated in black to avoid the bling-bling look but they needed 10 weeks to send me a set because they where custom-made and March Performance needed a free production slot.

Westcott
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 15:51:53 by westcott »

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 22:53:37 »
I cutted the visible valve cover spacers to half the height by hand, the shortened parts will be milled to the final dimension of 17mm in the next few days.
   One head is disassembled because 2 badly rolled rocker studs stripped the threads in the head. The thread on the 2 studs was not formed completely and therefore the aluminum inner thread in the heads gave up immediately as i tried to apply the AFR recommended torque to them.
   I ordered TimeSerts to rework the stripped threads because I don't like spiral or coil type inserts like the Helicoil items. My favorite theoretical and practical solution are "massive" inserts we fabricated in the past from stainless steel. I found inserts like the ones we normally fabricate online as "TimeSert", available as ready  to use sets and wanted to give them a try. The installation process for the TimeSerts is the same as with te HeliCoils feasible with hand tools at home.
   I will bring up some pics as soon as they are delivered or have a look here:
   www.timesert.om   for the TimeSert or the Big Sert inserts.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 16:47:02 »
Picked up the interior parts yesterday. They are not too bad and fulfilled my expectations. I saved the ugly items like headrests, heater controls, and lower cut out for the Ford steering column cover.

The round warning light cluster replaces the original rectangular arrangement. The black paint on the bezel is removed and the bezel was polished a bit with the Dremel.

The light switch is a Hella universal 2 Step switch with a illuminated sign plate, lighting in the second "On" Position. I saved the original switch for the future and found a replacement in the Hella switch. Just the grain on the switch bezel and on the switch itself is not as deep as on the original part.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 16:43:44 by westcott »

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 16:55:38 »
I have choosen a padding not as thick as it was originally but with denser foam, so the recess of the instruments and heater control bezels is less then before but the surface of the whole instrument panel is more defined.

The clove box door sits a bit tight, I have to remove one layer leather to have it more loose and easier to open and close.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 16:28:56 by westcott »

Chafford

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 20:48:07 »
Very impressive!

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2012, 22:09:39 »
I lost a bit the original way of restauration and decided to close the side marker and antenna swages.  December last year I organized myself 2 yellow front side marker lenses plus complete clear side markers I don't need anymore.

If someone need to replace the front side marker lenses or want to install clear sidemarker units instead of the yellow ones I will sell them for the same price I payed for.

Just drop me a mail.  BTW the side markers are GM original parts and available via the various GM resto shops.

Westcott
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 17:00:09 by westcott »

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 22:15:38 »
After AK 1106 is done I will post all information about part numbers and so on here to help completing the spare parts list.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 10:46:48 »
Arrrrgh, the painter delayed the delivery again now to end of this week....

nikbj68

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 12:19:49 »
Uwe, better to get it right, than get it right now! Sorry for your delay, but you know it will be worth the wait! We look forward to seeing it too.

westcott

• View Profile
AK 1106 rework ...
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 10:50:19 »
Some short update about the Frog (nickname because of the colour and long nose). The painted roller was delivered Friday, 1st of June in the evening.
New status from Wednesday last week is the following: Reworked engine bay insulation installed and new firewall cover mounted.

All exterior details in place, windscreen with new posts mounted, engine and transmission in. Wipersystem, defrost and heater tubes are installed.

Looks like this:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 18:55:40 by westcott »