Author Topic: Stud pattern for AC 3000ME  (Read 7670 times)

lyonheart84

• View Profile
Stud pattern for AC 3000ME
« on: October 24, 2011, 20:41:20 »
Can any technofile tell me what the wheel stud measurements ( PCD ) are for the 3000ME i.e something like 5 x 110 ? In other words what other car has the same stud measurements, or what hubs did AC use if they didn't use their own design / size ? Thanks

ME113

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 22:52:16 »
Without taking a wheel off and just by holding a rule on the centre cap, it looks like 5 x 110mm.  The standard wheels are 7" x 14" by 0.31" out.  The suspension and hubs of the ME are bespoke for the car.

One of the MEs has alloys that are said to be from a Volvo, so that might be a starting point.

lyonheart84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 23:00:39 »
Thanks I guessed the suspension was bespoke but I was hoping the hubs were borrowed. I also estimated 5 x 110 but will try and get exact measurements tomorrow.

terry3000me

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 22:26:30 »
Lyonheart please post your question on the ME website forum, it will be answered much quicker than on here plus you will get additional comments which may be helpful.
   Thanks, Terry

lyonheart84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 00:39:15 »
Thanks Terry, I didn't have the ME forum on my PC because I usually only use the 428 Frua forum, so I'll find it and add it to my favourites, best regards

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 12:56:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by lyonheart84

Can any technofile tell me what the wheel stud measurements ( PCD ) are for the 3000ME i.e something like 5 x 110 ? In other words what other car has the same stud measurements, or what hubs did AC use if they didn't use their own design / size ? Thanks

AC were not alone in the 1970s in designing and manufacturing in-house to imperial sizes, whilst having to accomodate the metric sizing of bought-in parts. The wheel hubs and bolts are a good case in point!

a.The PCD for the 3000ME wheel bolts is 4.252 inch, which is exactly 108mm.

b.The hub is bespoke, machined from a bespoke forging, and is designed also to accomodate the SKF bearing used on these cars.

c. The wheel bolt shank diameter is 0.5007 to 0.5011inch, and appears to be an interference fit in the hub. The thread is 12M X 1.5 pitch.

d. The original wheel dimensions are 14inch dia, 7inch rim width and 0.31inch out offset. This was quite common in period, in particular in US. However, wheels of those dimensions with the 3000ME stud configuration appear to be very rare.

e. Front and rear are identical in respect of the above dimensions.

At least 2 3000MEs have had different wheels fitted as an after-market change but I do not know what other modifications, if any, were necessary.

John

lyonheart84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 20:19:38 »
Interesting John, If the PCD of 4.25 inches is correct then the correct metric equivalent is actually 5 x 108 which widens the range of hubs the wheels would also fit. The wheels have reached reserve now on E-Bay

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 11:49:05 »
They are indeed 5 x 108.  198 was fitted with (I think) Volvo alloys which looked nice and the only mod needed was spacers between the hub and the wheel, as they didn't have the deep dish of the Wolfraces.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 15:01:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator

They are indeed 5 x 108.  198 was fitted with (I think) Volvo alloys which looked nice and the only mod needed was spacers between the hub and the wheel, as they didn't have the deep dish of the Wolfraces.

The spacers compensated for the different offset of the Volvo wheels - thereby recovering the geometry to the '.31inch out' of the standard Wolfrace wheel.

My recollection (and only that) is that the standard wheel stud was not long enough to accomodate both the spacer and the Volvo wheel centre, and consequently other modifications were also required.

Spacers also increase the mechanical stress on the studs and hub. If such an approach is contemplated, then it would be advisable to have the stresses calculated professionally and to advise ones insurance company of the changes.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 14:02:45 »
I have been interested in the flurry of activity on this 3000ME forum. Whilst I take Terry's point about the ME Website, I have missed the contributions from ME owners, and as we are trying to be an inclusive Club, feel that the use of the 3000ME Forum on the ACOC Website brings the model back into the bosom of the Club. Whilst I don't own an ME at the moment, I still like to know what is going on. Who knows, I may even be able to answer an ME question if I know someone is asking! All models of AC are welcome in the Club, and I think it is great to hear from this section of the membership.

ME113

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 18:32:20 »
Shep, the 3000ME website IS a forum, not just an info site, and predates this forum.  Most of the active ME owners I know post on there but only a few of them post on this forum as well, so Terry's advice is valid, you will get a quicker response and possibly in more depth.

terry3000me

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:43 »
Andy please take a quick look at the ME site - ac3000me.com. so you can see the content.
   Yes it would be good in someways to bring it into the ACOC fold, however it was set up before the ACOC site and the domain owner is now no longer an ME owner and has very little involvement hence the site stays independent. He has been asked several times if he would allow the site to move into the ACOC site but has never responded.
   There are I believe other AC web sites for specific models but, maybe, not as active as the ME site as owners use the ACOC site in preference.
   Terry