Author Topic: Cobra Alarms/Immobilisers  (Read 4175 times)

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Cobra Alarms/Immobilisers
« on: October 23, 2011, 20:25:28 »
Dear all,

Can anyone advise me on the most suitable Thatcham Cat 1 approved immobiliser/alarm system for these opem topped cars. I appreciate these were probably fitted whilst in the AC factory, but does anyone know which make or model they fitted or alternatively, have you purchased an 'aftermarket' system to protect your pride and joy?

In the UK based market, it seems that the market leaders include Clifford, Toad, Viper, Gemini and Scorpion. Does anyone have any personal experience of any of these systems and who may be able to inform on the pros and cons of them.

Many thanks

Gary

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 16:38:39 »
Hi Gary,
   If you are in Southern England I can highly recommend Carl Baker.
   Carl fitted a Thatcham cat 1 to my MkIV some years ago and it has an imobiliser, sensors on the bonnet, boot and doors and a microwave system for the passenger compartment.

Much of Carl’s work is fitting (or fixing) alarms on TVRs and he has an excellent reputation within the TVR Club.
   Carl is in the Hampshire countryside near Pertersfield just off the A3.

http://www.tvruk.tv/www.tvruk.tv/index.html

Cheers – John.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 17:14:17 »
Hi John, thanks for your input.

It looks like on the website link, they highly recommend the Meta system which I hadn't heard of. I understand they were standard TVR factory fit. Is that the sytem you have fitted?

Were there any problems in fitting the bonnet, boot and door sensors? Are the sensors quite discreet?

From some research I have done so far, I believe that open topped cars are better with the microwave sensors rather than ultrasonic(?)
   The sytems I have considered at this time are the Clifford 650Mk2 alrm/immobiliser. It's Thatcham Cat 1. It has 2 circuits of immobilisation but the unique thing about it is that it has a Black Jax function which in the event of someone threatening you to get out of the car and hand over the keys, once it's been driven away it will automatically immobilise the car, i think as the engine revs drop down. It then triggers the alarm and flashes the light.

The Toad Ai606 system has similar functions to the Clifford, but should your vehicle be stolen, it will send you a tewxt message to your phone. You can then send a text back to the car and it immobilises it.

The Viper system (I think it is the VX480(?) has 3 systems of immobilisation.

So there are a few systems out there which seem to be pretty comprehensive. I think supplied and fitted they come in around £500.00??

Unforunately John, I am based in Cheshire, however I will look further into the Meta and see if there are any local suppliers/installers to get an idea of price.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 21:01:47 »
Hi Gary,
   I would suggest you still think about giving Carl a call, he’s very approachable and happy to talk.
   I’m sure he’d be happy to give you his opinion regarding the range of systems you’re looking at and might even know someone in your area he could recommend.
   Regarding fitting the system to my car, I don’t remember there being any problems and the installation is well done. He did say he was impressed with the way the car was put together as it made access much easier.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 19:19:50 »
Hi John,

I will give Carl a call and seek his advice. Thanks very much.

Has anyone heard of a company named Hamilton and Palmer? I think they are based down south and I understand their alarms and immobilisers are fitted in prestige cars as OE by the manufacturers?

Gary

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 22:27:15 »
Yes,I Have a Hamilton & Palmer fitted as standard to my Superblower.

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 00:42:21 »
Hi Paul,

Do you know much about the company?
   Have you had any problems with the system fitted to your car? Do you know how they compare to the main line systems out there?
   Many thanks
   Gary

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 18:05:41 »
Hi Gary,
   I know very little about the company, I am aware that they have supplied security systems to Rolls Royce/Bentley etc and they are based in Kent.
   According to my car`s records their Vantage Black Box system was fitted at the factory in 1998. It functions as it should, I did have an issue during the summer with the starter switch circuit, the imobiliser was suspected but during investigation the fault corrected itself and to date has not occured again.
   How it stacks up to current systems out there is probably not relevent, as I am sure technology has moved on considerably in the thirteen years since fitted.

Paul

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 13:47:53 »
Hi Gary,

My MkIV (July 1993) was factory fitted (also registered on the production spec sheet) with a Serpi-Star alarm system. It includes immobilizer, bonnet and boot sensors and micorwave system in passenger compartment. It has been working fine for the past 18 years.

Constant

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 22:26:46 »
Paul, Constant, thanks to both of you for your inputs.
   From what I can fathom out all Cat 1 alarms/immobilisers have to have door boot and bonnet triggers. Additionally I think they have to have a minimum of two methods of immobilisation, either affecting the fuel, ignition or starter circuits. Most systems out there seem to have the ultrasonic interior sensors, however I believe it's the microwave sensors we need rather than the ultrasonic. Most systems appear to be modular whereby you can add additional modules to your existing system, for example if you later wanted a tilt sensor, it can be plugged in, if you want a glass smash sensor this can be plugged in and so it goes on. Some of the latest systems will send a text message to your mobile phone to let you know the alarm has been triggered. If your car is stolen, some systems allow you to send a text message to your car and it will shut it down. Other systems allow you to track the car on the web. So there are great advances in these systems out there but trying to sort out which is the best, most reliable and effective for our types of car, isn't easy.