Author Topic: Ace Bristol 5BPG in Octane Magazine, November 2011  (Read 4556 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
Ace Bristol 5BPG in Octane Magazine, November 2011
« on: September 26, 2011, 20:07:37 »
Just read the excellent article in Octane about Tony Bancroft`s Amazing Ace, 5BPG.
   See how it went from this:

to this!

Hitting a news-stand near you soon. Click pic for details.

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 20:12:20 »
Very interesting article - Steve Gray managed to retain 90% of the original bodywork rather than the much cheaper option of using a new body.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 01:03:41 »
I have so many more photos of the Ace from different angles that show just how bad the damage was, for example you could look straight down the inside edge of the rear wheel, the wing was so far bashed in! After Dad`s panelbeating the O/S/R wing was several inches higher than the N/S, but it was amazing that he achieved what he did. Even more amazing was how the Brooklands Bashers managed to shrink the stretched metal back, in fact all that was replaced was the headlight surrounds, a few inches around the door reveals and about the same below the bootlid!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:49 »
Nik

A remarkable story and well worth purchasing the mag for the Ace article alone. You must feel that this car is still part of the family.

Has Tony Bancroft offered a drive yet? [;)]

Mark

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:51:08 »
I did indeed get to drive 5BPG, during the ACOC 60th at Brooklands!
   Tony needed to fill up for his homeward journey and took me to the petrol station with him. A few hundred yards after leaving the garage, he pulled over & said "You remember the way back, don`t you".
   I was stunned, but what an honour and joy! It was only a couple of miles, and the heavens opened so I had to struggle with wet glasses (short racing screen fitted) but it was fantastic, the bark of the Bristol exiting just below the drivers` seat will be etched in my memory forever!
   As with 39PH going to Nigel Hulme, Tony having 5BPG is the best possible thing that could have happened, we could never have given either of them the attention they deserved; so although it is a shame we no longer have these amazing AC`s, yes, we still feel a strong link!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 22:09:20 »
Following on from this thread, I have started a thread in the Ace forum called "5 BPG, Racing History & Restoration" Which is intended to show more of the history & restoration of the Ace.

Enjoy. [:)]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 20:19:48 by nikbj68 »