Author Topic: AC Aceca  (Read 4434 times)

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« on: January 02, 2007, 18:49:02 »
Happy New Year one and all. Enjoy your AC's in 2007

I have just bought a 1955 Aceca that started life in Portugal apparently being purchased by a nobleman. The same gentleman also bought in 1962 an Ace, which he competed in at the Portugal GP (fact or fiction?). Tragically the car caught fire on a European ferry and badly damaged the bodywork.
   This setback did not seem to deter the nobleman who transplanted all the Ace mechanical parts;

o   2.6 Ford Zephyr engine & ancillaries.
   o   Fitted with triple Weber carburettors
   o   A Raymond Mays head CL 28694
   o   Moss gearbox
   o   Front wheel disc brakes and rear drums
   o   Ace front and rear over-riders
   o   15” x 6” Borranni wire wheels (The Ace was the only known AC to have this make of wheel fitted from new. They were transferred to the Aceca)
   o   The wheel arches are modestly flared to accommodate the Borranni wheels
   o   The suspension has been modified by Chris Lawrence who won his class in 1962 at Le Mans in a Morgan.
   o   Seats & instruments
   o   The owner also had the front of the car remodelled as a Ace/Cobra ‘long-nose’, naturally in aluminium

So the question is after having all of this work carried out did the Portuguese nobleman go racing with the car? If so when and where and who is/was he?

I know that the car went to the USA in the mid 1970's and under the ownership of Warren Wegele competed in the VSCCA between 1980 and 2002.

Any help would be really appreciated. Sorry if this has been a bit long winded.

Thanks

Ian Rogers

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 21:26:58 »
Hi Ian.
   I recall seeing your Aceca on eBay several times over the last year or so, very interesting car!
   Do you plan to keep it as it is at the front, or will it go back to a more Ace-like nose?
   Best of luck with your project,
   Nik.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 23:58:37 »
Hi Ian

Congrats on the Aceca,  Would lik too see it,  Is it road worthy ??  if yes, any chance of bringing it to the Barley Mow on Sunday 21st Jan ??

I understand from John Lewis you wanted to inspect the Ali petrol tank on BEX333,It was made by Aubrey and fitted by Steve Gray when he repaired the rear end damaged received in Luxembourg in June 05, When the driverless Dutch Volvo careered into the back of my Ace.

Touch base with you and the Surrey crowd on the 21st. In the meantime....could you please email pic or two.  Cheers 4 now.

Keith

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 14:16:07 »
Hi Keith

Happy New Year etc.

I doubt the Aceca will be ready for the 21st. It is at Spirit Automotive having various jobs done including removing the plastic 5litre handy can that was serving as the fuel tank due to the single cell racing fuel tank leaking. How it got an MOT I will never know especially as the Goodrich tyres were 25 years old at not valid except USA, Canada & Australia!

Thanks for the fuel tank offer but I think that the boys have obtained and fitted one already but I need to make base with them now Christmas/New Year has ended.

However Steve and Kingsley have confirmed that I have got a very good car, which is always nice to know and as for the exhaust.... it puts my Cobra in the shade!

For reasons I do not understand I cannot attach an image to this missive but if you let me know your direct e-mail I will send you some.

If the Aceca is not ready, as it also has to be UK registered I will try and be down in the 'Beast' at the Barley Mow
   Kind Regards

Ian

quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Hi Ian

Congrats on the Aceca,  Would lik too see it,  Is it road worthy ??  if yes, any chance of bringing it to the Barley Mow on Sunday 21st Jan ??

I understand from John Lewis you wanted to inspect the Ali petrol tank on BEX333,It was made by Aubrey and fitted by Steve Gray when he repaired the rear end damaged received in Luxembourg in June 05, When the driverless Dutch Volvo careered into the back of my Ace.

Touch base with you and the Surrey crowd on the 21st. In the meantime....could you please email pic or two.  Cheers 4 now.

Keith

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 14:29:25 »
Hi Nick

It was on e-Bay that I first saw the car. When it did not make the reserve I thought it would be worth a trip up to see....and it was.

I intend to keep the car exactly as it is. I will just ensure that the mechanics etc are safe and then maybe some Sprints, Hill Climbs. I am even being encouraged to get on the track! Perhaps some tuition in it first.

The car is in good used condition and as what was done to it was all carried out in period it does make it an unique Aceca .....and the nose which is Ace/early Cobra does work well.

Thanks for your interest

Kind regards

Ian

quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Hi Ian.
   I recall seeing your Aceca on eBay several times over the last year or so, very interesting car!
   Do you plan to keep it as it is at the front, or will it go back to a more Ace-like nose?
   Best of luck with your project,
   Nik.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 17:36:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Rogers

Hi Nick.....I intend to keep the car exactly as it is. I will just ensure that the mechanics etc are safe and then maybe some Sprints, Hill Climbs.....as what was done to it was all carried out in period it does make it an unique Aceca .....and the nose which is Ace/early Cobra does work well.
   Thanks for your interest
   Kind regards
   Ian

Excellent news, Ian. Whilst I have the utmost admiration for those who restore to 'as new'(or better!) condition, there are fewer and fewer examples that reflect how these cars were originally used & maintained. Long live Patina! Wear ones` battlescars with pride!![8D]

p.s. To post photos into the forum, see my tutorial here!
   http://www.racecar.co.uk/acoc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=145

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:10:41 »
Ian

Can you text me your email address, I hate putting my full email details on forums as you collect even more bloooooodddyy Spaaaammmmm.

My mobile number:-   07889 298 226

See you and every one for belated Christmas Dinner at the BarleyMow on 21st. Have Ace will travel.

I have just purchased a Spare flat screen for BEX333 complete with Hardtop and side screens, Now just need a back window with rounded ends, If any AC enthusiast has a spare perspex rear window or details on the various Ex works ( ACE / early Cobra ) hardtops, both Tony Bandcroft and I would be interested.

I know, I never put the soft top up, but the price and condition of the hardtop and screen were too good to turn down.  Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time.

One day, when I qualify for a bus pass I just might appreciate the extra creature comfort....no, dont laugh, A heater or carpet should take priority.  But then again I'm a AC Ace owner through and through. All ACs should be used and enjoyed all year round, just as they were intended when they left their birth place  "Thames Ditton."

Keith

Enjoy !!

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
AC Aceca
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 10:52:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

...Can you text me your email address, I hate putting my full email details on forums as you collect even more bloooooodddyy Spaaaammmmm....

I know what you mean! If I put an email address into a forum, it goes in as nikbj68"at"yahoo"dot"co"dot"uk,
   Or He could use the button in the top line of your posts, which will automatically open Outlook Express.(If you don`t use that, just copy the e-addy!)
   Nik.