Author Topic: What is a fly-off handbrake?  (Read 4329 times)

aex125

• View Profile
What is a fly-off handbrake?
« on: January 01, 2007, 17:12:19 »
I have seen the term "fly-off handbrake" used many times in reference to the parking brake on the Aces. Can anyone tell me what the term fly-off handbrake means?
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 22:31:09 »
Jay.

A Fly Off handbrake is the term used for a quick release handbrake........... to release  simply lift the handbrake a few millimetres and let it fall to the tunnel.  to lock handbrake on simply raise handbrake to lock rear wheels ,then push in end of handbrake to secure toothed quadrant and internal pawl.

A standard hand brake uses the push button to release and disengage the ratchet, however it must be depressed throughout the complete release cycle.or it re-engages with the ratchet.

Competition cars usually employ a flyoff handbrake to assist in handbrake turns in rallying, driving tests, hold the car at start of Hillclimb or Sprint etc.

If your Ace handbrake ratchet system ( Quadrant and pawl ) are worn, then contact Clive Bowyer as I believe a few sets are still available via " ACOC spares - Acedes". Price approx £105 / £110.  I had ten sets specially made in May 2005 and paid for by ACOC. I know at least 6 sets sold within a matter of weeks. If they have all sold We can get another batch made to the same high spec within a few weeks.

Jay... dont try hand brake turns on your Ace as the Ali transmission tunnel is not built to withstand abuse unless you have reinforced the rear of the tunnel to the rear fireproof bulkhead.

Enjoy

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:36:20 »
Thanks Keith.
   As usual you are quick and thorough with your response and now I understand what it is. As for my car, it was converted to a Cobra style handbrake some time in the past,  so I do not think I need the Ace version. However, I have yet to get the Cobra set up to work correctly and may have to go back to the Ace version if I cannot get it working.
   Jay