Author Topic: Shelby Cobra 50 Years - new book  (Read 27862 times)

J Jones

• View Profile
Shelby Cobra 50 Years - new book
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2011, 01:41:07 »
Here's a Ford in-house film, narrated by and featuring Carroll Shelby.

His short introduction, explaining how he started his manufacturing career, may be a little light on AC's contribution. But bearing in mind the subject was really  (at the time this film was made) the future prospects of the GT 40 and Ford racing, I think he can be excused.

It might also help explain the overly AMERICA FIRST!! aspect of the "controversy" regarding the Cobra.

I think he (Shel) comes off pretty well, considering...

(considering it's a scripted sales tool for Ford - I'm sure Shelby didn't actually write the script, though certainly had a hand in it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Pjw6Iiwxg&feature=related

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2011, 03:21:15 »
You can clearly see the AC script at 2:22 on the unfinished nose of the Cobra under construction.

I can't recall for sure but think that the AC script was used on the RS cars. My photos of RS5024 do not show the emblems clearly.

Bill P

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by aaron

quote:
Originally posted by Daytona

I note that two photographs taken by me of CSX 2301 on Pages 56 and 62 have been used without any acknowledgement!!

Did you supply the photos ?

No!  I took the photographs at Phoenix Park, Dublin in 1965.  I passed copies on in the 1990s when one of the Radford Racing Cobras, CSX 2260 or CSX 2301, was advertised in Motor Sport.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2011, 14:58:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by jrlucke

You can clearly see the AC script at 2:22 on the unfinished nose of the Cobra under construction.

I can't recall for sure but think that the AC script was used on the RS cars. My photos of RS5024 do not show the emblems clearly.

The RS cars had the AC roundel, as on most Aces. RS5020 below

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2011, 19:03:20 »
quote:

I note that two photographs taken by me of CSX 2301 on Pages 56 and 62 have been used without any acknowledgement!!

DAYTONA..

Great photos !! and a great multi-page feature on CSX2031.

Glad someone  (Daytona )  captured the moment, without your input a moment in AC History would have come and gone, Never to be appreciated by future custodians of our ACs.... Ace and Cobra..

Appreciated by us all. [;)]....[:)]....[^].

Keith ..[;)]

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2011, 21:53:58 »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by aaron

quote:

Did you supply the photos ?

No!  I took the photographs at Phoenix Park, Dublin in 1965.  I passed copies on in the 1990s when one of the Radford Racing Cobras, CSX 2260 or CSX 2301, was advertised in Motor Sport.

I guess someone else has passed copies of the photos on again,might be worth contacting the guy who ahas put this book together.

Is this book worth buying ?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2011, 02:16:43 »
This was my opinion:

quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Just got the book, gents.

It's a nice lay out and with piccies I have not seen in other publications. It is the "myopic" American view as someone put it before.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, a few too many piccies involving cars owned by Comer and cars driven by Comer. As I mentioned before, I feel this is more to establish Comer than to write a proper historical review on AC and Shelby cobras.

A different angle was to include some of the people from SAAC and look at their POV.

Like Trevor did, a large section in the end of the book discussing the replica/kit industry. I wonder whether this is instigated by Motorbooks as it would open the book up to the large number of Kit owners, who would feel they are finally getting some overdue respect for keeping the dream alive...(I happen to feel that way and was very pleased with Trevor's accounts of the current "Cobra" market)

It is definitely not as detailed as Trevor's book and I think the lay-out is similar.

All 'n all not a bad deal at some 25 bucks (don't know how you can make money on that, as the quality of the print is very nice).

Now I need to make time to read beyond the text that goes with the pictures...

Gus

Bill P

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2011, 09:09:09 »
[/quote]

[/quote]

There are lots of photographs I haven't seen before, they are of excellent quality and well laid out - yes, it is worth buying.[:)]

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 13:37:21 »
quote:

There are lots of photographs I haven't seen before, they are of excellent quality and well laid out - yes, it is worth buying.[:)]

I agree, some really nice pictures but you should be careful reading the picture caption unless you are interesting in stories about his "beautiful wife" and "fishing". Seems to me a little bit too much self-adulation.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 09:10:27 »
Got my copy yesterday,looks good value for the money.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:10 »
Sadly there will not be any photos of me or my gorgeous wife in my next book. (Despite popular demand :)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 13:27:53 »
But it's not "that kinda book"[;)]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 14:23:02 »
I should have said 'Cobra book'. Silly me - but it flushes out the perverts.....

Mind you, the market for motoring books ain't wot it was ;)

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 19:25:51 »
For £23.00 it is very good value for money,personally I dont care if there are a few pics of him and his wife in the book !!