Author Topic: Shelby Cobra 50 Years - new book  (Read 27860 times)

Chafford

• View Profile
Shelby Cobra 50 Years - new book
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:35:48 »
A new book on the Shelby Cobra is being released in October but includes a surprising factual error.

If you look at the Google on-line preview, the book notes on page 22 under the picture of an Ace 'One can easily see the amount of front-end restyling Shelby performed to turn the Ace into the Cobra'. Evidently the author doesn't know about the Ace 2.6.[:0]

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UzwuFnch6ZMC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=cobra+50+years+comer&source=bl&ots=gN4Tm0IUmg&sig=dywneKzEUjzCzRxaQz7hbDSy9NI&hl=en&ei=HoV9TsrdIOis0QWUtJDVDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=cobra%2050%20years%20comer&f=false

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shelby-Cobra-Fifty-Years-Colin/dp/0760340293

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 20:00:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

A new book on the Shelby Cobra is being released in October but includes a surprising factual error.

I’ve been trying to determine if this book is worth adding to the collection.  Based on a close look at the index, it appears that it is a myopic American view of a 50 yr period.  What’s interesting is that although there is a chapter titled “The Cobra Returns!” the index has no reference to Angliss, Autokraft, or Brooklands despite listing E.R.A. replicas, Kirkham Motorsports, and Superperformance.  That said it is possible that the former topics are hidden under the rubric of AC cars, which has 13 referenced pages, but that is doubtful. All this seems to support Chafford’s original observation that there appears to be significant errors and/or omissions.  We’ll have to hear from someone who actually has access to the whole book before a final verdict is reached. Thus far, I’m not buying it.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 20:18:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by ANF289

quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

I’ve been trying to determine if this book is worth adding to the collection.  Based on a close look at the index, it appears that it is a myopic American view of a 50 yr period.  What’s interesting is that although there is a chapter titled “The Cobra Returns!” the index has no reference to Angliss, Autokraft, or Brooklands despite listing E.R.A. replicas, Kirkham Motorsports, and Superperformance.  That said it is possible that the former topics are hidden under the rubric of AC cars, which has 13 referenced pages, but that is doubtful. All this seems to support Chafford’s original observation that there appears to be significant errors and/or omissions.  We’ll have to hear from someone who actually has access to the whole book before a final verdict is reached. Thus far, I’m not buying it.

I can not imagine anything new in this book that has not been printed already.Apart from Marks observations regarding the ACE,plus any other errors !!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 21:12:09 »
Call me cynical if you will.  The author is Colin Comer. His business is sales and restoration as well as race preparation of vintage cars. His primary interest and focus has been Shelby cars (Cobras and Mustangs). He wrote a book before and this is the next one. He's well known on this side of the pond in the Shelby circles. He frequents various historic race events and rallies. I don't believe he is exactly known as a historian. Without a doubt does it reflect the "myopic American" view. And frankly, although I do not doubt his enthusiasm, I believe the books serve more as a means to establish himself as an expert in the market on this side of the pond than to be an absolutely correct record of history (which would be a very hard thing to do anyway, especially with the days after Angliss and all the Shelby undulations.)
   So, my opinion being what it is, I will probably still buy the book. Just because I have a small collection of books covering AC and Shelby. Including several of the AC gurus: Legate and Mills!!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 21:26:27 »
You would have thought he might have read Trevor Legate's books before putting pen to paper!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 23:49:38 »
Well....quite.

Apparantly he fought for the inclusion of the 'continuation/replicated/revived' Cobras as MBI only wanted the book to be about the genuine cars. He got his way in the end. (Either way, he didn't do his homework too well reagrding the Ace!)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:05 »
It´s just an other indication of the totally different point of view of the Americans and the Europeans about the Cobras.
   To the Americans it´s just a work of Shelby (yes, he is responsible for making them a legend) - for the Europeans it´s a British car. To the Americans, the cars from the Angliss era are just another branch of the many Cobra replicas.
   However, the cover of the book is nice, the price is not too high and it is a hard-cover book (you can´t call a soft-cover a book). It will look good in the bookcase and maybe it´s interesting to find out if there are any new facts be be read.

Michael

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:17:22 »
I like the photo on page 21 of Ed Hugus running around the front of CSX2142 at Le Mans in 1964, a year after he started the race in 1963 then? [:I]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:23 »
Ed's American - lives in a different time zone (obviously!)

Starting to wonder if I should part with my 20+ shekels.....maybe the piccies are nice?

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 13:53:50 »
Attention, Legate household.

"What do you get the man who has everything for Christmas?"
   Hint hint.

[:)]

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 14:00:28 »
An AC 'Continuation'? [;)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 14:29:31 »
Just got the book, gents.

It's a nice lay out and with piccies I have not seen in other publications. It is the "myopic" American view as someone put it before.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, a few too many piccies involving cars owned by Comer and cars driven by Comer. As I mentioned before, I feel this is more to establish Comer than to write a proper historical review on AC and Shelby cobras.

A different angle was to include some of the people from SAAC and look at their POV.

Like Trevor did, a large section in the end of the book discussing the replica/kit industry. I wonder whether this is instigated by Motorbooks as it would open the book up to the large number of Kit owners, who would feel they are finally getting some overdue respect for keeping the dream alive...(I happen to feel that way and was very pleased with Trevor's accounts of the current "Cobra" market)

It is definitely not as detailed as Trevor's book and I think the lay-out is similar.

All 'n all not a bad deal at some 25 bucks (don't know how you can make money on that, as the quality of the print is very nice).

Now I need to make time to read beyond the text that goes with the pictures...

Gus

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 15:42:47 »
Promoting my own collection of Cobras was never an issue!! But please don't pity me (just send money)

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 18:41:36 »
Aah, but your entire collection of Cobra did appear, did it not? [8D][;)]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:23:33 »
No, they/it did not (but got an honourable mention)