Author Topic: Goodwood Revival 2011 - Cobra's  (Read 15566 times)

C9OBY

• View Profile
Goodwood Revival 2011 - Cobra's
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 18:45:43 »
Courtesy of Malcolm Bull, some pics of GPG 4C meeting the Goodwood tyre wall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22310427@N08/6154102004/

Interesting how the bonnet appears to have survived unscathed.  Does anyone know who will be doing the repairs?

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 20:42:09 »
Plenty more pics from last weekend here http://www.flickr.com/groups/1258590@N22/

Another great weekend, Pete you will have to loan my your 1D next time, I chickened out when it was really p*ssing down , as I dont want another £156 repair bill from Canon to repair my 40D

Yes great to see some original Cobras Trevor,with a Kirkham thrown in for good measure !![:)][:)][:)][:)]

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 20:55:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY

Interesting how the bonnet appears to have survived unscathed.  Does anyone know who will be doing the repairs?

How would anyone know on here who is doing the repairs ? This is the cars first very serious accident since Graham Bryant has owned the car

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 22:14:06 »
Absolutely fabulous photography

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 00:47:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by aaron

quote:

How would anyone know on here who is doing the repairs ? This is the cars first very serious accident since Graham Bryant has owned the car

Aaron.

Grahams Cobra was a frequent visitor to Brooklands Motor Company in the past decade , repair & respray. Out to play, return yet again for cosmetics well surgery then respray and out again .........

Was told that getting the black pinstrippng straight and perfect was a real Pain.. [}:)] yet perfected every time.

Graham & Ollie have always set high standards of preparation..[^]  GPG4C will obviously miss Spa but you cant keep a competitive Cobra down.
   The bank balance suffers, But on a positive note "it's a contribution towards employement "...[;)]

Hopefully we see GPG4C and the Bryants out in force next season.

Keith..[:)]

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 10:09:19 »
Aaron.

I also used an OpTec rain cover - though the guy next to me was using a bin bag, which was probably just as effective and a lot cheaper.
   Found a few more to upload ( am getting the hang of it now) and quite like the look on Brian Redman's face that we are all probably familiar with when laying in the power a bit too early:-

And I presume this is the K car you are referring to-

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 10:50:00 »
Having been involved in repairing seriously damaged race Cobras over many years, everything is possible. The best body man I know for major rework is Lawrence Kett at GA Fabrications in Hersham Surrey. He is a supremely talented panel man who can re create any shape in aluminium, just from a photograph or sketch. There are many others who are also very capable. The mechanicals can be replaced and fabricated as required, as we have the best motorsport support industry in the world, gathered around us in the UK. The painful thing is always cost, but that is the risk we all take when we take our cars out onto the track. Andy

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 22:18:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

quote:
Originally posted by aaron

quote:

Aaron.

Grahams Cobra was a frequent visitor to Brooklands Motor Company in the past decade , repair & respray. Out to play, return yet again for cosmetics well surgery then respray and out again .........

Was told that getting the black pinstrippng straight and perfect was a real Pain.. [}:)] yet perfected every time.

Graham & Ollie have always set high standards of preparation..[^]  GPG4C will obviously miss Spa but you cant keep a competitive Cobra down.
   The bank balance suffers, But on a positive note "it's a contribution towards employement "...[;)]

Hopefully we see GPG4C and the Bryants out in force next season.

Keith..[:)]

Yes I know that the car has been repaired there in the past, and I agree you can`t keep this car down !!

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 00:00:20 »
Repaired?? One way of describing it I suppose.....

I recall those happy days of summer and the private track days at Goodwood in the '70s. Martin Hilton would bring (the very original) GPG along, plus his 275GTB, and throw the Cobra around for several laps and come in with the rad pouring steam and water everywhere, Once it had cooled down, he took it out again! It used to have genuine patina in those days...and couldn't get close to the lap times it produces these days....lovely old car, once upon a time.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2011, 00:42:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

I recall those happy days of summer and the private track days at Goodwood in the '70s. Martin Hilton would bring (the very original) GPG along, plus his 275GTB, and throw the Cobra around for several laps and come in with the rad pouring steam and water everywhere, Once it had cooled down, he took it out again! It used to have genuine patina in those days...and couldn't get close to the lap times it produces these days....lovely old car, once upon a time.

Reminds me of a post I made some time ago about 10/10s racing and whether it has a place in today's vintage racing or not. I suppose it's not so bad to crack up a "K", but some of the "originals" by now have more "K" parts on them than original ones. Vintage cars produce HP that Shelby could only dream about. I love to watch these things in action. I do not see any enjoyment in overbuilt modern race engines, disguised as historically correct, and seeing GPG4C going into the wall to me ads nothing... It's a shame, really. Anyone can do with do with their toy as they wish, but as far as who wins, loses, trades paint with another: I don't give a rip. Accidents happen, I don't know what precipitated this one. But 10/10s racing and overbuilt cars led to the massive pile up at Road America a few years back. 17 cars (if I remember right) destroyed... once again, a shame, really. Anyway, my two cents. In case anyone cares to hear..

Gus

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 20:21:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Im with you on this one Trevor, wont discuss why, as we dont want people spilling there popcorn and drinking too much Bishops Finger do we ?

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 01:12:49 »
Racing is a bit of a drug, and when the next bloke suddenly goes a second quicker, it's difficult not to find a way to remain competitive. I wouldn't expect non racers to understand, but it's the same for me as I can't get excited about concours and keeping cars in mint condition. While on the subject, I looked at the GPG 4C altercation with the bank at Woodcote. A similar thing happened to me at the ACOC Goodwood sprint about 20 years ago. Woodcote is a double apex right hand corner at the end of the fastest straight on the circuit. The approach speed in a Cobra is between 140 and 150 mph, and the first apex forms part of the braking zone which also requires a downshift to third gear whilst braking hard. As I finished braking and went back on the throttle to balance the car to drift through the second apex at about 80 mph, the gearlever jumped out of third into neutral. Without the power to tuck the nose into the corner, it understeered and once the front wheels touched the grass, I was a spectator all the way into the bank. I wonder if something similar happened to Berger? With power, you can sling the car sideways and keep some control, but with a box full of neutrals there is no escape.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 19:44:32 »
Thanks Shep,

I suppose it would be an overstatement for me to call myself a racer, but I do "race" my 289 FIA "K" car from time to time on track days and I did race my 1964 Beach sports racer, until I turned the bearings and went on to a 2 year rebuild, while finishing RS 5038. The engine should be completed next week, so hopefully I get a test session before the weather turns to Sh*te here. I can fully appreciate the competitiveness of it. No argument there. But there is a difference in intensity between UK and European based historic racing vs US based historic racing. With pleasure I read Tony Dron's words of reason in his Octane column, frequently lamenting the lack of will on organizer's behalf to attempt to control some of the intensity, let alone the building of historical racers with a power train that far exceeds the power of cars of the period. I'm not making an attempt to convince anyone, just stating my view. I'm well aware of "power steering" a cobra around a corner. I do it and it certainly is a fantastic sensation. I have also experienced what a miss-shift means under full breaking at the end of 135 MPH straight before diving into a 90 degree turn!! But not in close racing, with risk for life and a lot of bent metal... Then, I turn the dial down a little, as is promoted by race organizers on this side of the pond. I don't think that turns racing into a parade, as someone mentioned before.
   Anywhoot, just 2 cents...

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 21:39:40 »
Quite a few competitive spirits trawling these pages, no doubt. My drugs of choice were road rallying and autotesting (in the dim and distant past). I run what I brung and competed with whatever I could afford, which was ***-all. I only won a few things but always made sure I had Fun, no matter where I finished. However, the Revival and similar events brought up the - "Do you want to race or do you want to win?" issue. That's where it all went wrong and the cars became bastardized. I recall a previous owner of 39PH being properly amazed the first time he ran in in the TT - the other Cobras were going past with their inside front wheels waaay clear of the road. An original Cobra cannot do this.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:37 »
Gus and Trevor, I completely agree with you about bastardising beautiful original cars. Unfortunately money and egos rule, and whilst I would be happy to drive an authentic car to its limits, there is always some dot com millionaire with money to burn, who will have a Grand Prix car built with a 1960s sports car body. There is no fun in being lapped on lap 5 by a gaggle of rule benders when you could beat all of them on a level playing field! It is up to the organisers, but when rich men are challenged, it gets expensive.
   Away from all the money and politics, a few years ago I taught my wife Karen to race, in a Locost. It was based on a Lotus 7 and powered by a 1300 GT Ford crossflow engine. The organisers had very rigid rules on specification which they enforced. The cars cost 5500 pounds and a trick engine rebuild was 800 pounds. Tyres were 200 pounds for a set of 4 and lasted 8 or 10 races. It was so competitive that there would be half a dozen leaders in each race, and slipstreaming and overtaking was continuous. It was such fun that I had a few races too, and honestly enjoyed racing it as much as a quarter of a million pound Cobra. For me it is the racing which gives me the buzz, and not the posing.