Author Topic: SEAT BELT STRANGULATION  (Read 5463 times)

CRS9505

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« on: September 30, 2011, 22:14:02 »
Just pulled the CRS out of winter storage as we seem to have a dry and sunny weekend ahead and can't resist one last blast before hibernation. [8D]
   Passenger complained mightily of sealt belt strangulation and how on earth are we going to drive to Lemans like this. (ok I'm not feeling anything except the pull of the wind and the roar in my ears) so has anyone done anything to change the anchorage points for these hopeless inertia seat belts? [:(!]
   Mike

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 23:46:52 »
Why not take them out and get racing harnesses?

Gus

C9OBY

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 07:23:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by CRS9505
   ... so has anyone done anything to change the anchorage points for these hopeless inertia seat belts? [:(!]
   Mike

Mike, that's exactly what I've done, and can highly recommend that you take the time to make the following modification.

As you can see, I removed the factory inertia setup and have replaced it with an in-cockpit 4-point harness setup.  There is a thick rectangular steel section that crosses behind the seats at the height of the inertia over-shoulder bracket (you can see the holes in the back board where mine were removed) onto which you can have a new set of flanges welded to support over-shoulder harness points.

The mounting points for the seat straps are already in place on both sides of your seats, so the only modification is the top anchor point.

It's not a quick job though.  You'll need to remove the seats, the back panel, prepare the mounting point on the frame (i.e. expose bare metal) and have someone suitably capable weld your triangulated brackets in place.  Remember, it's directly above your fuel tank, so I'd suggest that the fuel tank is removed before anyone starts playing with their welder!

I'll try taking a photo of the mounting bracket from inside the boot this weekend.

Bruce

CRS9505

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:02:41 »
Thanks Bruce,  have you also gained a little bit more legroom in there by bringing the seats right back ? I want to remove a whole monster speaker set and replace the back panel so probably could all be done at the same time.

C9OBY

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 18:13:26 »
Hi Mike

I had no legroom improvement, as the seats had always been able to go right back on my car with no hindrance from the original recoil seatbelt units. In fact, I actually need my seat a little further forward than the passenger seat as my pedal box is quite far down the tunnel (despite that fact that I'm just over 6"1).

If you've got a big speaker package in the panel, then doing a complete panel switch-out is definitely worth doing.  You can see from the holes in my panel that I still retain the original, mainly because I didn't want to re-carpet the entire interior just to solve the 4 visible holes that remain.

Good luck, and please post photos of your change (it's the one area of my rebuild that I didn't properly document for others).

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 22:04:18 »
Hi Mike,

I have an AC Superblower (ACSB7020). It was built by AC Cars in 2001 but was never completed by them, I understand they went under in that year. Over the last few years I have been completing the build with some help from Steve Grey from Brooklands Motor Company and other professionals along the way- and kind support from members of the AC Owners Club most notibly, Peter De Rousett Hall. I didn't want the inertia seat belts fitted and asked Steve Grey to adapt the upper mounting points to fit a harness.Please see the below image. Steve welded in a rectangular box section chassis piece across the rear bulkhead. He welded threaded inserts into the beam for the upper harness mounts.

I'm not sure if the same box section chassis piece can be fitted to your own car because I think your fuel tank is located against the bulkhead?? On my own car the fuel tank is fitted into a special cradle low in the boot and the fuel filler on the rear off-side wing. If I can be of any further help please feel free to ask.
   regards
   Gary

SB7019

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 23:16:29 »
This picture shows another solution that was adapted by AC when my car was built.

With a single roll bar it can only be adopted on the drivers side, but on a CRS the passenger can also be catered for.   I have also seen bars that can be fitted to the roll bar that can achieve a similar effect.

SB7019

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 23:30:54 »
Here is my harness from another agle.  Hopefully a picture (or two) is worth a thousand words.

C9OBY

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:46 »
I've found some of the photos taken during my rebuild that show the underlying CRS structure, plus the addition of the new brackets.  Compared to the MKIV photos above, there is a slight difference in design with the CRS cars

Photo 1 - clear view of underlying CRS structure:

Photo 2 - close-up of original brackets, plus location of new mounts.

Photo 3 - view from inside the boot looking forward at the back of the mounts before I drilled them to take the shoulder strap harness bolts.  Because of the slope of the bodywork as it drops down from the centre of the cabin down to the sides of the car, there is only just enough space under the bodywork to fit the new mount.  By putting both harness points fairly close together, you are able to ensure that they sit directly behind the driver & passenger.

CRS9505

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 20:52:21 »
Thanks guys, plenty to go at here, wouldn't I love a wing mounted filler too - hate to fill up with my wife sitting in the car as it always seems to spray even with the most careful filling.
   Good job she never looks round !![:D]

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
SEAT BELT STRANGULATION
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 21:42:18 »
Mike, Peter has mentioned above about a bar which can be fitted to the roll bars. Here is an image of one supplied by an American company named Cobra Restorers for your reference.

Hope this helps

Gary