Author Topic: Cobra 50th Anniversary 2012 - Ideas for Event??  (Read 14651 times)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
Cobra 50th Anniversary 2012 - Ideas for Event??
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 23:04:04 »
[/quote]Sounds positive to me! [:D][:D]
   [/quote]
   Yip. We are conform with your opinion (Angelina, Anna and me) [:D][:D][:D].

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 23:18:36 »
Andy,

You as normal are spot on, I like events that all members can attend. When I run the sprint, one of the highlights is seeing new and old AC's arriving and everyone having a great time. I can not make the next committee meeting due to being in the US. What I would really like to see is how the Cobra over 50 years has changed, but not lost its brand. Each version has history that is special we are not talking about a ford focus.

Consider the people who worked in Brooklands who hand built the car. Many of them are good friends and craftsman in the old school way. Anyway, lets see another cracking AC event, rather than look at the negatives.

Back to work....

John

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 23:21:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by hawk289

Andy,

You as normal are spot on, I like events that all members can attend. When I run the sprint, one of the highlights is seeing new and old AC's arriving and everyone having a great time. I can not make the next committee meeting due to being in the US. What I would really like to see is how the Cobra over 50 years has changed, but not lost its brand. Each version has history that is special we are not talking about a ford focus.

Consider the people who worked in Brooklands who hand built the car. Many of them are good friends and craftsman in the old school way. Anyway, lets see another cracking AC event, rather than look at the negatives.

Back to work....

John

And those who still build them in Brooklands! [:)] (and Heyda [;)])

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 23:42:05 »
I would like to see how the AC cobra has developed over the years, when we did the last brooklands event we had each set of cars grouped by version, so we had Shelby Cobra's, MkIV, CRS, etc. It was really nice seeing each variant, so why not. Look the guys who build AC heritage cars are mostly the same people who built the MKIV, etc.

I really would not care if non-AC cars turned up, I have built kit cobra's and must say the quality in most is pretty good. The point being I would want to know that a car from the 60's was from the 60's and not built last week. That why having each variant on show would be a nice way to see how the Cobra was developed.

I'm sure this will be discussed, last point if you pay membership then you should be able to turn up without feeling excluded. As the Cobra will be of focus then a special location, etc. should be defined to focus on the one model. But seeing Aceca's, Ace's and Brooklands, etc. would be great.

Very last point, we are celebrating to variant of AC, so lets all join in, it is one of the most iconic / copied cars on the plant and tells an interesting story. So seeing the story from the start to now would be cool!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:21 »
I'm looking for one of these fine examples of AC cars to bring to the celebrations...[:D]

Maybe anna, angelina but not the schizo backside, wanna go for a ride with me...

Anyone wants to sell one?

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 17:44:23 »
Now there is a thought , an RAC TT Race at Goodwood next year with 25 250 GTO`s and  25 TD Cobra`s !!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 21:05:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by hawk289

I would like to see how the AC cobra has developed over the years, when we did the last brooklands event we had each set of cars grouped by version, so we had Shelby Cobra's, MkIV, CRS, etc. It was really nice seeing each variant, so why not. Look the guys who build AC heritage cars are mostly the same people who built the MKIV, etc.

I really would not care if non-AC cars turned up, I have built kit cobra's and must say the quality in most is pretty good. The point being I would want to know that a car from the 60's was from the 60's and not built last week. That why having each variant on show would be a nice way to see how the Cobra was developed.

I'm sure this will be discussed, last point if you pay membership then you should be able to turn up without feeling excluded. As the Cobra will be of focus then a special location, etc. should be defined to focus on the one model. But seeing Aceca's, Ace's and Brooklands, etc. would be great.

Very last point, we are celebrating to variant of AC, so lets all join in, it is one of the most iconic / copied cars on the plant and tells an interesting story. So seeing the story from the start to now would be cool!

I have to agree with these sentiments and don't see a problem if a separate area were set aside at events for such cars, which like it or not, are an integral part of the history of the Cobra.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 01:06:34 »
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

I'm looking for one of these fine examples of AC cars to bring to the celebrations...[:D]

Must have had a footwell ventilation problem - the engine is at the rear!

A Fastback version is for sale just now on e-bay #230674025944.

Beware! In case you are interested, despite the heading and the similarities this example was made by Invacar Ltd, not AC Cars.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 03:22:43 »
It would have to be a genuine AC!! How could I go to the AC anniversary celebrations otherwise..

Or were these made by Invacar, under license from AC, much like some other, more modern, versions?

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:58 »
Ok, I educated myself. Little piece of British history on taking care of the less fortunate. So how successful was the government on destroying these? I suppose it would not matter who made the Invacar, AC or Thundersley since they were the same model... But, it would not be real, if AC did not make it, and I don't want to start THAT conversation again...[;)]

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 16:37:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Ok, I educated myself. Little piece of British history on taking care of the less fortunate. So how successful was the government on destroying these? I suppose it would not matter who made the Invacar, AC or Thundersley since they were the same model... But, it would not be real, if AC did not make it, and I don't want to start THAT conversation again...[;)]

...or original for that matter!