Author Topic: Cobra 50th Anniversary 2012 - Ideas for Event??  (Read 14649 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Cobra 50th Anniversary 2012 - Ideas for Event??
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 00:32:01 »
[:D][:D]

SB7015

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 01:26:29 »
Why don't all AC Cobra MkIV, CRS & Superblowers have our own event at Brooklands? We can put together a higher quantity of better turned out of cars at any event. We don't really need Thames Ditton Cobra to make up the numbers but all AC Cars would be welcome?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 02:06:06 »
[:)][:)][:D][:D][:D][:D]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:20 »
Thanks Bob - I knew that but forgot you should never try posting when tired (and quite emotional) Funny the things that come into your brain circa 3a.m. Decided not to come downstairs and edit my posting. So the world-famous orfer is dammmmed forever, innit.

Anyway, if anyone decides to hold a gathering on the banks of the Rhine (or the Rhein, or any other european river for that matter) I'm sure it will be successful. I also think Cap Ferrat would have much to recommend it as a base :-) Just throwin' ideas out there....

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:22 »
As with the recent Düsseldorf (ACtion pages 26-30) and Sparkford gatherings, Cobra Fifty is an invitation-only event supported by the Club but not organised by the ACOC. All owners of Thames Ditton Cobras and family members will be invited to attend with their cars.

The Club is exploring a 50th anniversary proposal to have a Cobra-only race at UK circuit, but hasn’t yet received any other suggestions from members who offer to carry their proposals forward. The Club always supports member proposals, provided they promote the preservation and enjoyment of cars built by AC and don’t put Club funds to excess risk.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 11:29:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY...If you were a 50 year-old having a birthday party, would you exclude your children from attending your celebrations? ...
I like that analogy, but despite my well-known liking for the MkIV`s, Continuations etc, I`m on the side of the Thames Ditton cars on this.

So yes, it`s your 50th birthday party, but it isn`t your kids` 50th birthday too, is it? Only the birthday boy gets the bumps, it`s the rest of us that need to hoist him up!
   Whilst supporting the event in ANY AC would be great, and to be encouraged, You didn`t get Jaguar XK120`s or XK8`s parading at Silverstone with the E-Types.
   You couldn`t race your MkIV alongside a MkII or MkIII Cobra in Historic formula racing.

What we don`t need is people who don`t own a T.D Cobra being told  to "Eff Off" with their "piece of sh*t" as was heard by my Dad at the Haynes Day! (Some did too, and I don`t blame them.)
   Don`t forget that it`s also the GTO`s anniversary next year too, so there needs to be a serious effort to pull together as many Cobras as possible at the Big events like The Silverstone Classic, Goodwood (FOS & Rev) etc. and win the Cobra-Ferrari war!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 13:38:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY...If you were a 50 year-old having a birthday party, would you exclude your children from attending your celebrations? ...
I like that analogy, but despite my well-known liking for the MkIV`s, Continuations etc, I`m on the side of the Thames Ditton cars on this.

So yes, it`s your 50th birthday party, but it isn`t your kids` 50th birthday too, is it? Only the birthday boy gets the bumps, it`s the rest of us that need to hoist him up!
   Whilst supporting the event in ANY AC would be great, and to be encouraged, You didn`t get Jaguar XK120`s or XK8`s parading at Silverstone with the E-Types.
   You couldn`t race your MkIV alongside a MkII or MkIII Cobra in Historic formula racing.

What we don`t need is people who don`t own a T.D Cobra being told  to "Eff Off" with their "piece of sh*t" as was heard by my Dad at the Haynes Day! (Some did too, and I don`t blame them.)
   Don`t forget that it`s also the GTO`s anniversary next year too, so there needs to be a serious effort to pull together as many Cobras as possible at the Big events like The Silverstone Classic, Goodwood (FOS & Rev) etc. and win the Cobra-Ferrari war!

Nik

I would agree that historic racing should be the exclusive preserve of the '60s cars. However, surely there is no harm in allowing MKIV owners to exhibit their cars (possibly in a separate MkIV area) at the event (or even race in a separate MKIV race).

I'm also unsure about your XK120 and XK8 analogy - wouldn't it only apply if the ACs in question were, for example, 2 litre Saloons and 3000MEs?

The fundamental issue that the ACOC needs to resolve is the definition of a Cobra (Not again! [B)][B)]). Once there is agreement on that in the Club, many of these Thames Ditton / Non-Thames Ditton issues should be resolved. The Club could then take the line that it would only support Cobra events which MKIV owners can attend.

And on a general note, we need to ensure that people like Bruce and James Malone, who make this site interesting and enjoyable, are supported and encouraged.

Mark

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 15:36:01 »
As stated previously, the european gathering, Cobra Fifty, is by invitation sent to owners of AC and Shelby Cobras as listed in the chassis registry of AC Cars Ltd. In my world, this ended in 1968 with the AC289 Sports. All that followed belong in another category, regardless of who built them and where or when.

This is not to say that there should not be another little knees-up organised elsewhere for all the cars that come under the Cobra banner, regardless of the period in which they happen to be built. If anyone here happens to own a race circuit or most of Wiltshire, then let them come foward and offer their facility. I'll bring the ginger beer......

CRS9505

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 15:53:31 »
Mark,
   Perhaps the answer for us MkVI/CRS Cobra owners is to have our own officially sanctioned AC Club events and not to crash other people's parties.
   That way if we have more events (and maybe more fun [:)]) then some of the original Cobra owners and their original cars would come to our gatherings as esteemed guests of honour.

A bit like inviting your granny to your 21st party, everyone is happy to see her even though she leaves before the dancing and you know she's only doing it out of duty. [:o)]

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 15:55:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

As stated previously, the european gathering, Cobra Fifty, is by invitation sent to owners of AC and Shelby Cobras as listed in the chassis registry of AC Cars Ltd. In my world, this ended in 1968 with the AC289 Sports. All that followed belong in another category, regardless of who built them and where or when.

This is not to say that there should not be another little knees-up organised elsewhere for all the cars that come under the Cobra banner, regardless of the period in which they happen to be built. If anyone here happens to own a race circuit or most of Wiltshire, then let them come foward and offer their facility. I'll bring the ginger beer......

I agree Trev.  Interestingly, following a very useful and informative conversation with a council member this afternoon, I now understand that an ACOC sanctioned event (separate to the invitation-only event) is already undergoing discussions.  Hopefully we'll be seeing something on the topic either here or in ACtion very soon [:)]

In support, I've volunteered my services, so some 'track action' is almost guaranteed!

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 19:13:37 »
quote:

Never heard of him :-)

I think 'Michael Cassel' is an anogram of Angelina Joile (but I was always c**p at anograms..)

You'll be able to tell him if he brings his MkIV to a Cobra meeting. [;)][;)]

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 20:34:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chafford

quote:

Never heard of him :-)

I think 'Michael Cassel' is an anogram of Angelina Joile (but I was always c**p at anograms..)

You'll be able to tell him if he brings his MkIV to a Cobra meeting. [;)][;)]

I´m still thinking about my identity. Am I Angelina? Am I Anna Gram? Will let you know my coming out ...
   My unknown identity looked at it´s cell phone and yes, Kay Hafner is part of the adressbook. However - I know other ones contributing this forum who know him better ...

Just to make a statement - a suitable ground for a continental meeting would be the "Green Hell" or Spa Francorchamps or any other historic Cobra battle field. Accomodations wouldn´t be a problem around the green hell.

Probably there will be several meetings in the US. Lynn P. told me, he intends to organize two meetings. Cobra´s will be featured at Goodwood and Monterey and I guess there will be many more events featuring Cobras. SAAC, Shelby American Museum, ...

Best.

Angie, Anna and  schizophrenic friends
   (will put on my favourite T-shirt for the fifties anniversary meeting - front side: "I am schizophrenic"; back side: "Me, too")

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 21:19:51 »
Blimey! I have a short snooze and it all kicks off again! I will be at the Council meeting a week next Thursday and will be interested in the discussion about ACOC events. As far as I am concerned, anyone can organise their own party and invite whoever they like, BUT not as an ACOC event! We are an inclusive club where ALL members are welcome to bring their ACs out to play. It's great to have a celebration of a model's jubilee, but everyone should be welcome to celebrate, not a clique of favoured chums. Here endeth the reading.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 22:20:11 »
Hi Michael: You're not the only one here with a schizophrenic backside. (okay, I'll leave now...)

Chafford

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 22:23:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by shep

Blimey! I have a short snooze and it all kicks off again! I will be at the Council meeting a week next Thursday and will be interested in the discussion about ACOC events. As far as I am concerned, anyone can organise their own party and invite whoever they like, BUT not as an ACOC event! We are an inclusive club where ALL members are welcome to bring their ACs out to play. It's great to have a celebration of a model's jubilee, but everyone should be welcome to celebrate, not a clique of favoured chums. Here endeth the reading.

Sounds positive to me! [:D][:D]