Author Topic: New to ACOC...  (Read 4525 times)

westcott

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« on: September 10, 2011, 01:33:59 »
Hello all,

I want to introduce your newest member to You.

I am cobra grazy since i had a card play with cars as i was 9 years old (in 1969) where the cobra was my absolute favorite.

I started my second life(after a long, long time in the federal armed forces) as a automotive engineer for IAD International Automotive Design in Germany where i found out that IAD did some work for AC Autokraft on the late ACE.

Since these years i did electric cars for the Ruegen project and others, show cars for all the international car shows, prototypes and ended up in a company doing interior components for the OEMs.

After 24 years of building plastic cobras i sold my latest one, a FE powered Crendon CR427 last month, realized my dream of a aluminum car and got hold of AK 1106.

The car needs a lot of attention like: Complete interior rework, exterior paint, drivetrain, suspension and so on.

In short words: I will be busy for the next few years.

Sorry for my bad english writing and greetings from Germany,

Westcott (Uwe)
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

linklaw

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:51:08 »
Congratulations on your recent acquisition. I have AK1103, only a few cars older than yours. Do you have some pictures? John

Migge

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:38:48 »
Herzlichen Glückwunsch Uwe :-)

Gruß
   Michael

westcott

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 13:18:27 »
I will post some pictures during my rebuilt but can bring up some showing the current status.

From far it looks not too bad...

Uwe

westcott

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 00:30:53 »
The car has the T-dash, is green/green and in poor condition now. I will not turn it into a pseudo mk 3, just replace the dash by the straight one with the heater knobs. It is a longnose mk iv and i will keep the more modern look, the interior will be reworked completely but all the ugly details like heater knobs, interior light, headrests and harnesses will survive.

I like it this way, maybe the switches arround the column will go and give place for the original mk III beetle indicator lever.....don't know now.

What is your opinion?

Chafford

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 12:47:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by westcott

The car has the T-dash, is green/green and in poor condition now. I will not turn it into a pseudo mk 3, just replace the dash by the straight one with the heater knobs. It is a longnose mk iv and i will keep the more modern look, the interior will be reworked completely but all the ugly details like heater knobs, interior light, headrests and harnesses will survive.

I like it this way, maybe the switches arround the column will go and give place for the original mk III beetle indicator lever.....don't know now.

What is your opinion?

Great to see someone wishing to keep the car as original as possible and avoiding a conversion into a 427 S/C replica - blue with white stripes, side exhausts etc.

Original MkIV/CRS or conversion to clone of original 427 - an interesting conundrum.

1984MkIV

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 20:13:46 »
quote:
What is your opinion?

Hallo! Willkommen im Club.

Und herzlichen Glückwunsch zu dem sozialen Aufstieg [;)]. Ich habe mein Armaturenbrett gelassen, wie es ist. Allerdings habe ich noch die Schieberegler für die Heizung - die Drehregler würde ich rausschmeissen. Ich habe die Devise, dass ich mich für eine der folgenden Alternativen entscheide:
   1) Alles so lassen wie es ist - so original wie es geht (irgendwann wird es kaum originale Mk IV geben - wenn es nicht schon soweit ist)
   2) Wenn Modifikationen, dann so, dass Sie sich zurückbauen lassen
   3) Auf Originalität verzichten und drauf los bauen wie es gefällt

Gruss

Michael (Ex-Taunus Besucher)

302EFI

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:17:59 »
Westcott: Congratulations on your new MkIV! I bought my MkIV (AK1200CH) in February 2011 so I am also relatively new to the MkIV community. As for the 3 options to tackle modifications as mentioned by Michael I fully agree. However, if one wants his car to remain stable or even increase in value it is probably wise to go for options 1 or 2. I myself plan to use the upcoming winter break for having the dashboard / steering column and possibly the door panels changed to MkIII style but will by all means retain the original parts.
   Jürgen

westcott

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 22:07:39 »
Thanks for the input Gentlemen. The decission 'how to' was made last week.  The T-dash will go and a straight dash together with heater knobs, column switches and column cover from a later MK Iv will find place in the cockpit. Interior colour will be black or tan (beige), my prefered colour today is tan.
   All the original parts will be stored for shure to have the possibility for a deconstruction to original specs.

I'll keep you informed,

Westcott

westcott

• View Profile
New to ACOC...
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 22:14:55 »
Worn out small parts i organized for the rework in the last 2 weeks:
   2 door lock striker bolts original, 2 door striker bolts chromed, 2 door release levers chromed original parts, 2 chromed release lever bezels repros,  2 complete reworked, polished and chromed door lock mechanisms, polished stainless screws for the door locks, 2 door handles black with chromed brackets, reproduction parts.